1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dark Lord Day: 2014 Questions

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by regularjohn, Oct 2, 2013.

1. i wanna go to the next dark lord day (are they the same time every year? or do they change it?) , i never went before and i'm just curious as to what i should expect in terms of the following....

what beer is usually available for purchase?
    is it better to get their really early to make sure you get everything you're looking for?
    whats the bottle limit for dark lord? if you get a winning ticket for a BA DL is it one in particular or do you get to choose the variant?
    how much are the tickets? do they sell out quick? also are their hotels close to it?

i plan on taking the trip from jersey, but definitely gonna make a weekend of it. do they allow re-entry? i doubt people are just lugging around what they purchased all day...but wouldn't be surprised if you had to

how many bands typically play? i'm really into death metal and what not so i'm looking forward to seeing what the line up is. anything else i might of left out please give me a heads up, even if its not for a while i wanna be well prepared. thanks !

NOTE: yes i did look at the FAQs on their website but honestly i think it's better to hear from people that actually experienced the event....and if its worth the trouble and if its really well organized and what not etc. even though they put up all the info (from experience with festivals like this) i've found sometimes they don't really pull it off that well

2. MNPikey

MNPikey Advocate (500) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

At Dark Lord they sell Dark Lord. Last year the bottle limit was 3 per person. If you have a golden ticket you get to buy one additional variant bottle for $50. You can choose from whatever variant they have left.

You can get there as early as the gates open but you can't buy beer until your ticket says so for whatever group you are in. Expect to wait in line 2-3 hours once they announce your group.

You can also buy any other beer 3 Floyds happens to have for sale....just like any other day.

Tickets for Dark Lord Day sell out within 1-2 minutes usually. Scratch that. Last year they sold out in SECONDS. There is one hotel close to the brewery and its likely already booked full for the next event dates (dated that are speculative since they haven't announced anything yet).

None of what I typed above matters because it only applies to Dark Lord Day 2013 and they usually change it up every single year in some way.

ravot and regularjohn like this.
  3. kodt

kodt Advocate (500) Illinois Mar 6, 2013

1. Event Date. Almost always the last weekend in April on a Saturday.

2. What is for sale. Dark Lord is available for purchase. And some regulars, usually they make sure some Zombie Dust and a few other good things are available. Occasionally some other BA stuff is available.

3. When to get there. It depends on what group you get mostly. You get a group which has a designated bottle sales time, but you can enter the event as soon as it opens with any group. Get there at least an hour before your group sales go on sale. If you want to gain entry earlier and just get some drafts and drink beer you can come in any time. An hour or more before is a good idea if you want to go all day. Good stuff will be going on tap all day, rare BA Dark Lord variants will go on tap randomly throughout the day and it is just luck if you get them as there will always be a big line for the Dark Lord draft line.

4. Allotment Usually 4, but last year it was 3 ($15 a bottle). If you win the scratch off you get to pick the variant ($50 a bottle), but the variant you want might be sold out already so you pick what is left. Vanilla will sell out first. If you don't have Group A or B you could very likely miss out on the chance to get Vanilla.

5. Tickets. They were $30 last year IIRC, before that they were $15, and then $10 so they have been going up. They sell out in seconds, but usually if you keep trying you have a chance of getting them for at least an hour after they go on sale (some peoples carts expire and the tickets release), after that they will be 100% gone unless you can make it to the brewery when they release some tickets for sale on site. They will announce on site sales same day, maybe an hour or two before they go on sale. Earlier groups sell out faster.

6. Hotels. There are some hotels close, but they fill up, so if you score tickets make sure to secure reservations. I think the closest is like a 20-30 minute walk or a 5 minute drive. Watch BA, people will put their rooms up for grabs when they inevitably fail to get tickets. This is easy to google, just look up hotels.

7. Re-entry. Yes it is allowed. Many people get their allotment, return it to their car or hotel and then come back and drink. Dark Lord bottles and other bottle share bottles have been stolen before, so watch your bottles or return them somewhere safe.

8. Bands. As for number bands it has varied between 3 and 6. It's pretty much all speed/death metal, but you can ignore the bands if you want, tons of beer to drink.

As MNPikey said, they change it up every year. Prices change, number of groups change, rules change, organization and layout of the event changes. So expect stuff to change, you won't know most of the details until weeks before the event. The event has improved every year in many ways, this last year was a huge improvement in the amount of space.

4. birchholz

birchholz Savant (280) Illinois Jul 21, 2010

"are they the same time every year? or do they change it?"

It's usually the last Saturday in April. The past few years tickets have gone on sale online around St. Patrick's Day.

As much as people complain about FFF's lack of customer service, they always tell you what to know when you need to know it. Start keeping an eye on their FB page early next year, and there will be no shortage of threads on this forum.

Centinela, aasher and regularjohn like this.
  5. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (570) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

DLD was the only time I've ever blacked out. Immediately forgot the golden rule. Stay hydrated and eat A LOT :oops:

BRZvice, thaghost and regularjohn like this.
  6. this all sounds good, hopefully i get a ticket when they do go on sale. any other tips/advice keep it coming !

7. Don't rely on just yourself being able to hit refresh in time

creepinjeeper likes this.

8. yeah i know, i've gotten shafted before trying to do that with concerts/shows

9. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (845) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

This year I drove past all the $20 lots and parked at the hospital (didn't know it was there actually). I had to walk a little bit but it was free and I guess safer.

I brought in a cooler that was slung over my shoulder. You can also bring lawn chairs.

Best advice: Scan the forums for bottle shares. DLD is all about the bottle shares.

10. Prager62

Prager62 Champion (780) Indiana May 7, 2010

Don't get your hopes up too high. If FFF didn't throw us locals a bone by selling tickets at the pub on two separate weekends, I would have been SOL. It gets worse every year. Good luck in your endeavor!

creepinjeeper, regularjohn and funhog like this.
  11. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I just wish they'd throw the rest of Indiana's "locals" a bone. That two and a half hour drive from Indy isn't worth it if tickets are sold out by the time I get there.

HumanParaquat and Gameover170 like this.
  12. kodt

I think it is meant mostly for people who live in Munster and the neighboring suburbs. That's why they announce it with such short notice, any more notice and it would be all people from Chicago camping overnight.

13. (emphasis mine)

How about, try looking up threads about this year's DLD since there is no shortage of threads on this forum:
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/dark-lord-day.80395/
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/dark-lord-day-2013.74977/
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/dark-lord-pricing-thoughts.89236/
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/dld-2013-retrospective.85676/
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/dark-lord-day-2013-new-site-info.75623/

Photekut, elephantrider and Lansman like this.
  14. aasher

Yeah I know. It just seems that Indianapolis kind of gets the shaft. A solution to that issue, open a brewpub in Indy but that would be a huge headache for them I'm sure. Out of towners assume the state capital will be a treasure trove for FFF and it isn't.

damngoode and visualmartyr like this.
  15. mdomask

mdomask Savant (310) Illinois May 27, 2012

FFF is more-or-less a Chicago brewery that's in Indiana since land and taxes are cheaper. Hell, there are commuter trains that run from Hammond to the Loop. It's like how Kenosha, WI is a bedroom community for Chicago despite being in another state... or how parts of New Jersey and Connecticut are suburbs of New York City, despite not being in New York.

Sorry. This "why doesn't FFF take care of Indy" thing gets old, especially since it's been answered time and again. It's not like Indy doesn't have a few great breweries.

16. Corbet

Corbet Savant (330) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

I'm pretty sure tickets were available on some days throughout the entire day. Granted, you run the risk of them selling out, but I'll make the 3 hour trip out there if I miss out on online sales.

17. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (410) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

its all logistics when you think of it. Chicago to Munster is 30 miles where as Indianapolis to Munster is 150. 2.7 million in chicago, 800K in Indy. I know we tend to think off things on state levels but from a logistical standpoint, a market three times the size of indy is 120 miles closer.

But this is all way off topic, lets get back to hypothesizing Dark Lord 2014.

nben60 likes this.
  18. kodt

How much sweeter will it be this year? Hoping for a cinnamon roll variant dipped in caramel instead of wax.

19. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (410) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

I actually saw Nick in Chinatown buying a barrel of soy sauce and a barrel of molasses. I've also heard no wax dip this year because wax isn't metal, I think its going to be a fake gwar blood & foam mixture.

20. aasher

Yeah I know, but at some of the days that they were announced it was getting dangerously close to DLD.

21. aasher

I am well aware. I fully understand how everything works and have no problem with it. It's the out of towners who come through Indy that don't understand. They expect to find FFF everywhere. The stores that sell craft can't hold onto any of their stuff.

I'm not concerned about them taking care of Indianapolis getting bottles. I just wish that there was a way that Indianapolis could have DLD ticket sales, however impractical that may be.

22. mdomask

mdomask Savant (310) Illinois May 27, 2012

Missed that part. Understood, now :)

Tourists suck, regardless of location. Like all the Chicago tourists who expect to find BCS in June =/

23. aasher

We get that too. My company sold sixty cases of Bourbon County in maybe six to eight weeks. We had people asking for months and months afterwards, the same goes for KBS (we only got eight cases).

24. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

Never too early for a Dark Lord thread.

25. psykosis

psykosis Savant (320) Indiana May 21, 2009

I, for one, would be thrilled if they sent a few tickets to each store in Indy they distribute to. Kahns, Payless, Crown, etc. Or do a tap takeover at a couple locations and sell tickets at that time. I know none of this is in the realm of possibilities, but a man can hope...

Regardless, I'll try to get tickets when the online sale happens, but if I miss out life will go on. Thanks for be a voice for Indy though. :)

26. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

Agreed. Seven months to the event is most definitely a couple months late.

27. Especially when the last DLD was only five months ago.

28. If it hasn't been said yet, TOO FUCKING SOON.

Hugonaut13, sbxx and dmhurdle like this.
  29. rxeight

rxeight Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 5, 2012

The tickets lasted well into the afternoon on second day of online sales last year. No line.

30 miles to the middle of downtown. It's actually only 7 from the furthest part of the south side. Also, Nick is from Illinois, lives in Chicago, and there is a Bears banner in the brew pub.

You need to start early to break last years locked thread record.

30. Trouzorz

Trouzorz Disciple (70) Illinois Apr 28, 2013

Generally not a problem given the quantity and quality of food there (I ate my weight in curry wurst)

regularjohn likes this.
  31. Funny how much difference an hour drive northeast to Muncie will make... Every beer bar has either the majority or all of the regular line up on all the time, Zombie Dust is pretty much a weekly occurrence now and every seasonal/specialty that hits distro finds it's way there. Even the ever-growing demand of Indianapolis doesn't take away from it.

32. :(

There is so much more information in those threads for the OP than in the 30-some odd responses here. Including yours, which does nothing to address Dark Lord Day (of any year).

Also, I am curious what makes a particular response "dick headed"? I am reminded of that classic Louis CK bit -- maybe it's along those lines?

mbockstruck30 and atone315 like this.
  33. jeffdill

jeffdill Aficionado (145) Ohio Apr 26, 2012

Hampton Inn Munster is saying no available rooms already?...

34. sbxx

sbxx Savant (465) Illinois Mar 21, 2011

Seriously. Unless the calendar says 'March,' I don't want to hear about it.

DooshBagalow and elephantrider like this.
  35. aasher

Wait until people from all over the country are forced to cancel their reservations after they don't get tickets.

Tony412 likes this.
  36. so if you get one ticket for two people does that mean both get a chance for a golden ticket? or just one? I read the faq and was a bit confused on that.

37. kodt

You don't get one ticket for two people, you get two tickets (each with the purchasers name on them). So both get a chance. Now don't bump this until April.

stouts4me and sbxx like this.
  38. cetherid

cetherid Savant (395) Indiana Aug 23, 2010

Jesus Christ. Stop bumping Dark Lord Day threads until at least February.

39. MNPikey

MNPikey Advocate (500) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

Hampton Inn in Munster is already sold out for the weekend of the 26th.

hey5hitgoose likes this.