1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dark Lord Day and KBS release party

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by broodog, Feb 19, 2013.

1. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

The BA DL are amazing, the party is really fun (or at least it has been in the past) with the awesome bottlesharing and equally awesome taps. DL was also better (less sweet, more viscocity) prior to the 09 batches. Present DL needs to age before it's drinkable. the '11 is drinking nicely now (pretty coffee forward still) and the 09 is really hitting its stride IMO
    C2H5 and Dontcounttoday like this.
  2. jegross2

This, and bring a case of water with you, can not be highlighted enough> Also bring a sleeve of plastic glasses. You'd be surprised how many people forget to bring glassware for their beers, and for the $3 it costs for 100 of them, you'll make some new beer friends.
    C2H5, otrejo and Pecan like this.
  3. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,025) Washington Sep 18, 2010

The bottle I had was '11, cellared properly. Just wasn't for me. I'm sure the event is fun, but as I've said elsewhere (possibly in this very thread) I wouldn't walk around the block for another Dark Lord if it was free. Far better crafted imperial stouts out there IMO that require a lot less effort. My bottle was just a mess.
    NellieFox likes this.
  4. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (265) Illinois May 1, 2012

Yeah, we got it after your first post with the exact same content.
  5. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,025) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I didn't realize I'd indicated it was an '11 bottle in my first post, which was specifically why I replied to jegross.
    Oh, that's right. I didn't.
  6. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

'09 has always been one of my favorite. It was the last year they used ground coffee instead of whole beans (or so I've heard), hence the less viscocity with recent vintages. Hasn't been the same since. However, the '12 I find is drinking very well right now. Most balanced of the last 3 vintages IMO.
    jegross2 likes this.
  7. jegross2

Imagine if DL upped the coffee (bitter balance) and downed the sweetness.
  8. mbockstruck30

then throw in a bit of hoppiness and you'd have Darkness?
  9. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

i have fun at these events.
  10. jegross2

FYI, we're gonna do another DL vertical in Chicago before DLD apparently. 07/08, 11/12 already lined up. You able to come this time?
  11. saemick

saemick Aficionado (205) Illinois Jan 16, 2010

Was lucky enough to get a ticket for KBS and hoping to make it again to DLD this year too. As most above mentioned; the DL (which I actually do like once aged depending on year) is the reason for the party, but the reason to go is for the: tapped beers, bottle shares, friendly BA's, etc..

Every year I've gone (even before they ticketed it and they ran out before I could get any in '07), I've had an absolute blast meeting new people, sharing brews and just enjoying a day of drinking with friends.

As far as KBS, this will be my 1st year going. I'll be up there with a few friends to pick up bottles on Friday and staying for the party on Sat. Hopefully we can find a bottle share at our hotel/ somewhere on Friday night. anyone interested BM me.
  12. mbockstruck30

If I don't have my daughter, I'd love to. Just let me know when you nail down a date.
  13. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (420) New York Jan 30, 2011

I went in 2007 when it was fun. I stayed in Grand Rapids the night before and hung out at founders. - The old Bar.
    Look at what was on the shelf weeks after the Kentucky Breakfast Stout release party.
    Guess what I bought a lot of.

http://s34.beta.photobucket.com/user/v-vega69/library/#/user/v-vega69/library/Dark Lord Day 07 KBS mixed in?&_suid=1361580430860016500148518176533

Next was DLD.
    Look at the massive crowd!! TOTAL CHAOS!:eek:

I went to both events a few more time and both I no longer find fun. That being said, I think everyone shoud go at least once. I won't fight for your ticket.

Look at my friend who flew in from San Diego drinking a KBS out of the bottle = Loser!
    He brought a growler of Pliny the Younger and Exponential Hoppiness.

I had the most amazing time
    2010 sucked.
  14. Hoping to make my first DLD, although I have been able to get bottles since '08. I have always had scheduling conflicts in the past, but free this year so gonna try and get tickets.

KBS Day will probably be much different this year than in the past. With people picking up beer for days before, it will probably lessen the day of hype and bottle share. Which is unfortunate because that was 80% of the fun. With them changing the weekend I can't make it this year and a little disappointed, but life goes on.
  15. mbockstruck30

Biggest shitshow ever.
  16. Heard a rumor that there is a port barrel dark lord this year... maybe that means regular DL will be less sweet... a man can dream, a man can dream...
  17. wsnich

wsnich Savant (410) Texas Apr 26, 2010

Given that a majority of the port-a-pots were overflowing before 1pm, it was indeed a literal shitshow.
  18. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

You must be new, That kind of sentiment is not tolerated here. You go to beer events and have fun?!
    ravot likes this.