Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine by selecting auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Dark Lord Day Eve Tasting - Hampton Inn

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by MarkIntihar, Mar 18, 2013.

1. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

For those of you staying at the Hampton Inn on Friday night before DLD, as has become tradition we would like to have a (not so) little tasting. In the past couple years, this has grown from people running from room to room to last year's craziness in the lobby. We are hoping to be able to use the lobby again, as that seemed to work well last year (planning to call them this week). My buddy hayesez has said he will be more than happy to print name tags again with one spot for BA username and one spot for your actual name, since that seemed to work out well last year.

This is not a "whale tasting" or anything like that, though I'm sure there will be some in attendance. It is just a bottle share for the purpose of sharing good beers with good people and fellow beer advocates (who all happen to be staying at the Hampton :D ). Last year the way it worked was that people just opened their bottles and either poured for those standing near them or left them on the table in the center of the room. I'm sure someone captured some pictures or video from last year, but it was a really good time (including the post-tasting walk to White Castle, which was a lot farther than I remembered...).

At any rate, I hope to see some familiar faces from last year, and I hope to meet some new faces as well! Post in this thread if you plan on attending. I think we will plan on getting started around 6 or 7 this year, maybe earlier depending on what time people are planning on getting into town.

2. clintonpuckett

clintonpuckett Initiate (0) Indiana Apr 29, 2008

3. Benny3000

Benny3000 Savant (385) Michigan Apr 4, 2012

Sounds awesome! If anyone has a place for me to crash over the weekend, let me know. I have an extra DLD ticket.
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  4. cfh64

cfh64 Champion (785) Texas Aug 16, 2005 Verified

I'll be there, looking forward to it.
  5. ridglens

ridglens Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 10, 2010

I'm in (may get in a little later at 7:30-8), can't wait to share some good beers! Also, whomever brought the BB4D vert that sat unassumingly on the table until late that night for me to find later behind some tall empties, with a taste still in each bottle, please do that again ;)

anybody got any requests? especially new guys, i'm not a heavy-hitter or anything but might be able to knock out somebody's want-to-tries.

Cheers guys, 39 Days!
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  6. ridglens

that won't be a hard deal to make hahaha
    hit up hayesez, i think he had a sibling that was blocked-out, and might have some room-space to trade, and he's a crazy good guy and generous with his beverage!
  7. CLCardinal84

CLCardinal84 Savant (365) Illinois Jan 29, 2012 Verified

My brother and I will be there!
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  8. wsnich

wsnich Savant (420) Texas Apr 26, 2010

First year in the Hampton. Looking forward to this.
  9. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 Advocate (590) Minnesota May 6, 2010 Verified

I've got you covered if you haven't gotten this taken care of yet. If still available, bm me and we can work it out.
  10. biglobo8971

I will be at the Hampton both Fri and Sat, have the same room 3 years in a row. If room is needed, hit me up and can see what is left. I am currently looking for 1 ticket to keep a tradition going, so if you know of one, I am sure something can be agreed upon.
    pschul4 and MarkIntihar like this.
  11. ADTaber

ADTaber Champion (810) South Carolina Apr 29, 2011 Verified

I'm planning on going to Flossmoor if they are having a Pre-DLD party/release again this year but will be down for this when I get back to the Hampton depending on how long it lasts
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  12. chriltz

chriltz Aficionado (205) Illinois Mar 21, 2010

How far in advance do they do reservations? I need to get on that for next year.
  13. wsnich

wsnich Savant (420) Texas Apr 26, 2010

I booked my hotel in December with zero problems. Queens sold out around late January to early February I think?
  14. MarkIntihar

I think last year we started at 7 and it lasted until 1 or 2... can anyone confirm? My memory gets fuzzy towards the end (probably because of the White Castle).
    pmoney and ADTaber like this.
  15. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (675) Texas Nov 20, 2011 Verified

I'm in on the bottle share. Will also be with a friend who has an amazing cellar, so I'm sure we'll bring a few interesting things.
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  16. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (660) Illinois Jan 7, 2011 Verified

I have a feeling my attendance will depend on this man:
    Although I have not talked to him about this whatsoever
  17. jmarsh123

jmarsh123 Advocate (600) Indiana Mar 31, 2010 Verified

Sounds right. It was still going strong when we left at 12:30 or so. I'm in again this year. Taking the whole day off, so I'll be there early unless at Flossmoor again.
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  18. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

Here's some shaky footage I shot from last year. It was definitely a great time, can't wait to do it again this year.

19. Zaphog

Zaphog Poobah (1,230) Michigan Sep 23, 2011 Verified

I'd love to come this year. We won't be arriving until about 9:30 on Friday though.

EDIT: We are on a waiting list for a room at the Hampton. We have a room booked at Extended Stay America in Lansing in case a room at the Hampton doesn't become available.
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  20. pschul4

The only things I remember about you are you look much less like your avatar than I expected and you were tricking people into ruining their nights with that damn GS

The best part about these tastings is meeting BAs
    gpawned, cfh64 and MaxSpang like this.
  21. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

I was clean shaven last year. This year I'll be sporting a beard and will look much more like my avatar. And you have no idea how much enjoyment from pouring people samples of Ghost Scorpion. Whose bottle was that anyway?
    pschul4 likes this.
  22. pschul4

No clue, I know that bottle got me out of DDing tho :) my buddy who tried it didnt drink any beer the rest of the night so he drove home
    jebsinger likes this.
  23. smarks2327

smarks2327 Aficionado (175) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

I'm in!
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  24. brycevolk

brycevolk Savant (475) Ohio Sep 28, 2009 Verified

I have another bottle in my fridge that has been patiently waiting for the DLD bottle share!!
    DicemanSTL, jebsinger and MaxSpang like this.
  25. I will mention it in this thread too:
    I have an extra queen bed in my room at the Hampton for Friday night, and I am looking for similar accommodation in exchange on Saturday night for either me and my gf or my bro (not sure who is taking my extra ticket yet).
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  26. jrcmlc

jrcmlc Savant (300) Illinois Aug 8, 2011

I know I'd like to come....looks like "jeffh97" will be coming together...but we don't have a room at the hampton so we're looking for one not getting used or something. BM me if you can help.

Homershags likes this.
  27. Jips

Jips Savant (390) Kansas Nov 29, 2007 Verified

Me and three of my crew will be there. Ill bring central USA treats: whatever cool ipa Free State has on at the time, some Oklahoma goodies (choc, coop, and prairie) maybe a growler from el bait shop.

Does chicagoland get much prairie artisan ales? I know they are on shelton bro distro.
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  28. baybum

baybum Advocate (605) Pennsylvania Feb 10, 2011 Verified

I'm in, we will be arriving mid day Friday. Anyone starting a spreadsheet of what is coming?
    ridglens and MarkIntihar like this.
  29. MarkIntihar

Hadn't planned on it, as I tend to like surprises :D

Also, there will be enough people there that doubling down on beers won't be an issue, as I'm sure there will be plenty of people walking around, frantically ticking ;)
  30. ADTaber

ADTaber Champion (810) South Carolina Apr 29, 2011 Verified

Some things my buddy and I may be bringing if we make it:
    32 oz Growler '13 Sexual Chocolate
    '12 BASC
    Fantome Boo!
  31. ridglens

some good stuff :)

i walked in a bit late last year, and was pleasantly presented with a 4 (i think) year vertical of Darkness on the table... and it got better from there! shortly thereafter I had a sizable pour of choco rain pushed upon me, only to be chased by st lamnivus and beatification..

memory's a bit fuzzy, but did someone bring a sixtel of behemoth, too? then some group of assholes brought a BT vertical... i wonder if they'll do that again? ;)
    pjeagles, clintonpuckett and MaxSpang like this.
  32. clintonpuckett

clintonpuckett Initiate (0) Indiana Apr 29, 2008

Yeah those guys were real jerks! I think 2 of them might of even been a "couple". They were wearing matching 2011 Reserve Society shirts...;)
  33. hayesez

hayesez Savant (330) Indiana Aug 29, 2005 Verified

Looking forward to the tasting again for sure. Thanks for starting the thread, Mark. we are in the meeting room again as they prefer not to have the chaos in the lobby. We did start at 7:00 last year and it seemed to work well. I'll make sure to get there early again with the name tags.

Also, for those staying Saturday night, there tends to be some good beers opened that evening in the lobby, so stop by if you are still in town.

Looking forward to seeing you again (or meeting you for the first time!).
    BRZvice, ridglens and MarkIntihar like this.
  34. ridglens

hrm, i just checked the video, i think they are right at the beginning... both short and chubby right?

weirdos. at least they brought beer.
  35. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (485) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

I plan to be there again as well.....to make it more epic then last year! Can't wait (in Bart Scott voice)!
    DoubleNickels and MarkIntihar like this.
  36. Corbet

Corbet Savant (405) Michigan Nov 7, 2010 Verified

Has anybody thought about creating a public spreadsheet to add what beers each person is bringing? Or do people like the element of surprise?

I may or may not be there. I would like to stay in the city for the night and meet up with some friends but I missed out on this last year and that video is mighty enticing.
  37. biglobo8971

they might, you never know.
  38. biglobo8971

for the win, Saturday night tastings have always been more exciting. Nothing like watching drunk asses dropping like flies, everything from empty bottles, to full bottles, to girlfriends (who was with me for that one).
  39. jegross2

jegross2 Champion (750) Illinois Jan 3, 2010 Verified

I'll be there. Partially because I enjoy a good bottle share, partially to ruin it for everyone. I'll see if I can scrounge up a PVW07 BCS to bring to the party.
    MaxSpang likes this.
  40. aasher

aasher Poobah (1,260) Indiana Jan 27, 2010 Verified