1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dark Lord Day Survival Guide

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by yeahnatenelson, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Last year I put together a thread about what is needed to ensure a good Dark Lord Day. With the archived threads not yet readable, I figured I should post this again.

ESSENTIAL ITEMS:

1) A Positive Attitude - DLD will only be as fun as you let it be.

2) Ticket, Cash and a VALID Photo ID - Don't be the guy/gal who drives all the way to Munster without the essentials to get in (Ticket, ID) or a way to buy your allotment of Dark Lord. It happens every year; don't become a statistic!

3) Backpack. Coolers are okay in the industrial park, but no coolers are allowed within FFF property*.

4) Bottled Water. This is almost as critical as your ticket. you will most assuredly be drinking a LOT and not eating as much as you should, making dehydration is a real concern. Don't let your DLD end with you puking and passing out at 2PM. Protip: after every beer, rinse your glass with water and drink it: clean glass, hydrated body.

5) Tasting Glass - You'll be surprised how many amazing beers you'll try just by standing around with an empty glass. Bring something on the smaller side - a 6oz glass is adequate. You'll be sharing smaller pours all day; no 1L boot necessary. Also, bring something that's not so fragile and wouldn't be heartbroken breaking - remember: you'll be drunk near pavement for much of the day. It may also be advisable to bring some disposable plastic cups for double-fisting and helping out newbs that weren't as prepared as you were.

6) A jacket/sweater. The weather at DLD is notoriously unpredictable. Prepare for cool weather and possibly rain.

7) Sunblock. Again, unpredictable weather. Protect yourself. Take it from me: I got the worst sunburn of my life at DLD '11.

8) Snacks: You'll be drinking heavily. If you're feeling a little too drunk, it's nice to have some food to slow the buzz down. Think granola/energy bars or bagels; sandwiches if you do. Food can easily run out in the tents - this happened fairly early at the 15th Anniversary party.

9) Toilet paper. Self-explanatory.

10) Ticket, Cash and a Valid Photo ID - Seriously, don't forget these.

*the cooler rules seem flexible, but from experience at the XV party if you can't hand-carry or keep it on your shoulder, it probably can't be brought in. FFF doesn't want coolers covering the ground making movement difficult.

There will be a great deal of sharing at DLD. Here's some general rules of thumb for navigating the tasting tables.

TASTING TABLE GENERAL RULES:

1) Ask Permission before opening something that you didn't bring. Don't assume that a bottle near a tasting table/group is fair game. Perhaps it's for an in-person trade or intended to be shared with someone that hasn't yet arrived. Better safe than sorry

2) Contribute. Generosity amongs the DLD'ers will be widespread, but return the favor and don't lurk around tables with nothing but an empty glass. It's just poor form and eventually you'll start getting the stink eye.

3) Take modest pours. Unbeknownst to you, that bottle you've never heard of might be quite rare and potentially irreplaceable; about 2oz is a good rule of thumb for a bomber/750ml bottle. Want to get into a fight at DLD? Give yourself a 6oz pour of somebody else's Deviation.

4) Resting bottles are generally fair game. Generally, an open bottle on a table is okay to pour from. The person who brought it presumably got their pour and took care of his/her friends. Again, take a modest pour and leave some for somebody else if possible.

5) Stay hydrated. Can't be stressed enough - drink plenty of water!!!

Beyond that, stay positive, be respectful, and keep track of your belongings. Oh yeah, and gimme a high-five when you see me!

Cheers,
    Nate

rings, fredmugs, savagepanda and 15 others like this.
  2. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

It was cloudy almost all day last year and we still all got roasted. I cannot stress enough, don't under estimate exposure to the elements at an all day event!

Glassware is a must.

I'm taking a case of water. Can't stress that enough either. Despite what other people say, you don't want to get drunk. It will make the day worse.

3. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (415) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

Um, pretty much what he said. I know from experience. Was expecting a crap day last year, then all of a sudden, the sun made it out. Did not think of packing that stuff

4. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

And nametags aren't a horrible idea either. We joke about this all the time, but this makes it much easier. Also, if you're setting up a trade tell them what you look like or wearing. Saying "wearing a brewery shirt and a beard" won't cut it.

yeahnatenelson likes this.
  5. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

I dunno, I had a pretty fantastic time last year ;)

oxdtown and ridglens like this.
  6. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4 Savant (350) Illinois Oct 22, 2010

I ended up leaving earlier than I would have liked last year because of the sun. Big hat and sunscreen this year. Also, look for a new beer carrying device at DLD this year, the beer holster.

Gonzoillini likes this.
  7. darienm

darienm Aficionado (140) Illinois Apr 23, 2010

If you want a pretty printable/postable PDF version of the DLD Survival Guide (45k PDF), I threw one together:

8. hayesez

hayesez Savant (275) Indiana Aug 29, 2005

I don't remember you being drunk, Mark........

MarkIntihar likes this.
  9. fvernon

fvernon Savant (370) Wisconsin Mar 1, 2010

No kidding on bringing food... heavy, greasy food. The lack of alcohol-absorbing edibles aided some interesting behavior at XV. This year I'm bringing a friggin' loaf of sourdough with some sausage and cheese.

Caterwaul likes this.
  10. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

If the people I meet here are as cool as the people I met at KBS day this will be amazing. Sadly I used all my tasting ammo on KBS day. Must find something respectable to share...

11. Thanks for putting this together again Nate, your survival guide was key for me enjoying my first DLD to the fullest last year. ISO high-fives @ DLD

Microbrewtaster and 1noa like this.
  12. wsnich

wsnich Savant (410) Texas Apr 26, 2010

Can't agree with you enough. I got a wicked sun burn last year because it was scheduled to be overcast the entire day and the sun decided to come out an hour into the event. I went to a job interview on the following Monday with my face literally peeling off. Still go the job though haha

BRZvice and pschul4 like this.
  13. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Just FYI to the people talking about sunblock, bring it and wear it even if it's overcast. There's still UV around under clouds, and if you're out all day you can get burned while never seeing the sun.

Especially if you're pasty white midwesterners (I kid I kid!)

BearDownCats, 1noa and MarkIntihar like this.
  14. MarkIntihar

Hey, me neither! It only took me, what, 3 weeks to admit I may have had a bit too much to drink?

[quote="stupac2, post: 115334, member: 570914"Especially if you're pasty white midwesterners (I kid I kid!)[/quote]

You have no idea... ;)

oxdtown and Microbrewtaster like this.
  15. thetomG

thetomG Savant (430) Illinois Feb 17, 2010

Great list Nate - but you forgot one VERY important tip:

- somebody be sure to hook thetomG up with a ticket so he can attend and share many awesome beers and much revelry with you all!

:)

redblacks75 and yeahnatenelson like this.
  16. ISO: DLD Ticket for thetomG FT: High-Five +

17. I too love the list idea, easily would of forgotten the majority of things on that list if I was going.

I'd be packing some burritos if I had a ticket, such a handy, filling, greasy, and cheap food option.

18. Shoo65

Shoo65 Savant (270) Indiana Oct 23, 2011

DLD rookie here, question, whats a good rule of thumb on bringing to taste? I know most of you say the more the better, but I was thinking of bringing 3 from my cellar which I personally want to open at my first DLD, nothing super rare but tasty, Whats a good rule of thumb?
    Thanks guys

19. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (645) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

There is the entire spectrum of bottles being opened. Bring something you want to drink but don't mind sharing.

MarkIntihar and yeahnatenelson like this.
  20. The more you give, the more you get - pours, smiles, conversations, friends, hugs, and high-fives.

21. MarkIntihar

I gave Nate his first high-five at FFF XV. True story. I plan a repeat performance at this year's DLD.

oxdtown likes this.
  22. I saw him at DLD last year, but I was afraid to throw my hand up. I thought maybe it was some sort of gang sign and I might get shanked for not being in the gang. Little did I know that I was in the whole time.

MarkIntihar likes this.
  23. ReTag

ReTag Aficionado (175) Minnesota Apr 5, 2012

I will let my husband take a high five.

MarkIntihar likes this.
  24. Cue the 'I taught Nate how to high-five' replies...

pschul4 likes this.
  25. I wasn't able to get a ticket (still looking), do you think it's worth it to go just to hang out? I don't want to go all the way over there and be stuck with nothing to do.

26. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Additional Note:

If you buy cases of ANYTHING while at FFF, carry them from the bottom. FFF did recently get new cases and while they're a lot prettier, they're still the most flimsy brewery cases in existence.

AleWatcher likes this.
  27. Large portions of the line gasped in horror at the KBS release when we saw cases of KBS accidently being dumped out the bottom of poorly carried boxes.

28. lurchingbeast

And a KBS case is Fort Knox compared to the FFF cases.

MarkIntihar and Gonzoillini like this.
  29. wsnich

wsnich Savant (410) Texas Apr 26, 2010

I'll always remember seeing a case of DL shatter at DLD '10. Don't let it happen to you!

Benjiehorn likes this.
  30. warbird07

warbird07 Initiate (0) Michigan Dec 26, 2009

Yeah the FFF box with my allotment plus the varient I had scored alomost bit the dust when the bottom started to give....thank goodness for my drunken reflexes....

31. lurchingbeast

He probably just cut in line a few more times and got another case.

32. heliosphann

heliosphann Savant (250) Indiana Jul 9, 2006

Build a time machine and travel back to 2007 when DLD didn't suck balls.

misterid likes this.
  33. lurchingbeast

chi16brew, fredmugs, pschul4 and 8 others like this.
  34. timmx

timmx Aficionado (115) Illinois Apr 14, 2009

I brought a roll of duct tape last year to reinforce the case, worked like a charm.

35. Depending on what you have for carrying something and keeping it cold, I recommend bringing at least some beers that are good when not particularly cold. Last year with only a backpack I brought a couple bottles of 9000, a bomber of something, and a growler of Revolution Eugene (with a neoprene growler cover on it to try to keep it a little cooler).

Seriously though, if you don't feel like you have a lot of "interesting" or "rare" stuff to bring then a growler of something local that isn't bottled is a good start. People come from all over the place. While a growler of whatever Half Acre's draft-only release is at the time or some beer from Revolution might not seem especially interesting to some people in Chicago who've already had it, there's a ton of people from outside Chicago, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and other states there that will undoubtedly not have had an opportunity to try it. Perhaps add in a bottle of something pricey that you can get off the shelf like the Drie Fonteinen Scheerbaakse (which I saw on the shelf at Castle Vav a couple weeks ago, for example) that some people might not normally spring for or even have access too and you'll have plenty to share with people in the lines and tables if you ask me.

pschul4 likes this.
  36. You don't want to be this guy:
    [​IMG]

37. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

That's great advice, I'm thinking haymarket unless HA has a really cool draft only beer at the time

38. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

i heard the possibility of shuttles from Flossmoor and other bars...Any info on this?

39. MarkIntihar

I haven't been to Haymarket yet and would really love to try some of their beers... *COUGHCOUGH* ;)

pschul4 likes this.
  40. Man, this list has some really good ideas. I am really glad I read this. Thanks for all the info! See you all in three weeks

C2H5 likes this.