1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dark Lord Day

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by sacrelicio, Mar 9, 2012.

1. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Member

So Three Floyds posted on Facebook that DLD tickets are going on sale March 17th and I am excited to attend for the first time. In the announcement, they ominously added "good luck", which to me suggests that tickets will go fast. How fast do they usually sell? Is it a sells-out-in-five-minutes-and-the-server-crashes type of situation?
  2. BrohamidAli

BrohamidAli Member

Hopefully not
  3. backfat

backfat Member

I'm guessing about a couple of seconds. The servers shouldn't crash. They go through a professional ticket distro website
  4. Alpar

Alpar Member

Last year tickets were gone in under 5 mins... The server crashed for some people in certain areas. It is an online shit show .
    chanokokoro likes this.
  5. chronie

chronie Member

It begins...
    Vav likes this.
  6. BrohamidAli

BrohamidAli Member

I asked 3 floyds and they said tickets took 18 min it shouldn't be like stout fest where it was a few seconds. Just be on time.
  7. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Member

Oh, the online ticket system crashed last year for some. I can vouch for that from personal experience. :(
    sgoro likes this.
  8. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Member

Yep, ticket information is now posted to the DLD web site as well. Although there were problems last year, I expect everything to go more smoothly this year. ;)
  9. HopFace

HopFace Member

Pretty sure it crashes every year.
  10. aasher

aasher Member

It said the tickets were sold out in two minutes for the majority of us.
  11. Tnudish

Tnudish Member

5 mins? 18 mins? Good luck with that
  12. camil1mj

camil1mj Member

It's funny that they are putting the tickets on sale at noon on St. Patrick's Day. Many beer geeks will have to stop their drinking to be at a computer and ready for the tickets to go live.
  13. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Member

14. HurricaneDitka

HurricaneDitka Member

I heard the tickets where already sold out, even before release... much in the same way the Kansas City Royals were already mathematically eliminated from the playoffs even before this season started.
  15. Wseitz

Wseitz Member

The way this works, with regard to the 18 minute end, is that people get tickets in their queue. Then they get bumped for some reason, or their don't complete their purchase in time, and tickets "become available" 15 minutes after the sale started. So if you keep clicking, it might tell you it's sold out 99 times, but that 100th time, there will be tickets available. You just have to get lucky. I know this happened to people last year for DLD. I was able to get tickets for Portlandia in Chicago the same way.
  16. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Member

That's good. However, I have no idea how they are going to pull this off this year considering the that brewery burned down...
  17. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday Member

I have purchased tickets online to DLD 3 times now. Last year you could technically say they sold out in 20 minutes, but thats not really accurate. If you happen to luckily get tickets in your cart right at noon, they stay reserved in your cart for I think 5 minutes. What happened was you probably had about 30 seconds to get tickets in your cart before they were all gone. Then most people stopped trying you could tell because the website started to actually load faster. However, if you kept reloading tickets started appearing every few minutes from people who added tickets and for whatever reason it expired before they checked out. I actually got my tickets this way about 10 minutes into the sale, very very luckily.

So yes, it may have lasted 18 minutes, but the bulk of the tickets were gone in the first few seconds.
  18. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Member

Why the increase to $15 for tickets? I'm not surprised at all because they also charged $50 for the BA beers last year, but the tickets are only for entrance and allow you to buy DL. You don't get anything with the ticket, so I'm not sure why they would ever have to raise the ticket amount?
  19. danimalarkey

danimalarkey Member

Via Twitter:
    Gets you in, guarantees you a sample of this year's DL, guarantees you the opportunity to buy your allotment, bands, fun. etc

Glad to hear they're making sure to provide a sample this year. Hopefully you'll be able to get it without waiting in line for the brewpub.

As for raising the cost, considering how quickly tickets sell, one could argue they have been under-priced. Mostly, though, costs are up, generally speaking. I wonder if Dark Lord will still be $15/bottle, too.
  20. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Member

I didn't see there tweet about the sample, which is nice. I'm sure they could charge $50 a ticket and it would still sell out easy. Just hope this won't be a trend.
  21. bhollas

bhollas Member

I hope to be able to complete my Dark Lord vertical in person this year....I'd love to be able to get in and will be trying my hardest to get tickets....
  22. aasher

aasher Member

I would assume the price increased because you'll get "punches" on your ticket for pours. The anniversary party ticket got you four "free" pours. I liked that approach.
  23. mpwdoyle

mpwdoyle Member

Ticket sales seemed to be pretty smooth last year, at least for me. I was in Copenhagen on a crappy wireless connection and was able to procure tickets. Fingers crossed for this year.
  24. jeebus23

jeebus23 Member

They did punches the first 2 years they did tickets. I'd guess their costs have just gone up. I'm sure they pay for some of those cops to be there, the fence they put up, and they have about double the amount of porta potties that they've had in the past.
  25. jmarsh123

jmarsh123 Member

Their ticket website always crashes and it was no better for XV Anniversary party. Also tickets only stay in your queue if you get past a first few steps. Good luck on the server lottery.
  26. jale

jale Member

I thought in years past, FFF donated the ticket price to charity. Correct me if I'm wrong.
  27. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Member

I will be taking a lunch break from work at that time, i must.
    I hope no one comes in wanting to buy a $10,000 bike before noon.
  28. DrWalterWhite

DrWalterWhite Member

Anyone want to give a noob rundown of this event? How many bottles has the per-ticket allotment been in the past? Are there other FFF beers for sale besides what is normally offered at the brewpub? Special tappings? Thanks a lot.
  29. bierenutz

bierenutz Member

You are correct sir...perhaps they decided not to be so charitable this year.
  30. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 Member

allottment = 4, price = 15, guest taps = yes, other beers sold = yes. Thrash metal bands, over priced half way decent food. In other words, a hell of a good time.
  31. bierenutz

bierenutz Member

Having learned a recent lesson on the wisdom of preparing/acting sooner to get a "ticket" for a sought after beer, I'm setting up my tent now to get tickets!
    sarro likes this.
  32. DrDoitchbig

DrDoitchbig Member

The FAQ on the DLD website still says they're donating "a portion of the proceeds" to local charities.
    http://www.darklordday.com/faq/
  33. trginter

trginter Member

How much are tickets?

EDIT - Nevermind...$15
  34. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Member

My guess is they plan on doing the tables and tents again like the XV, and the price increase is to cover that, increased security, and the multiple trips by the poop companies. :)

If they want to increase the price to make something better without impacting the bottom line, I'm all for it.
    aasher likes this.
  35. cadizkyguy

cadizkyguy Member

I still like the idea, if three floyds would ever adopt it, to "throw in" a ticket to dark lord day in random cases of three floyds brews (i.e., gumballhead, zombie dust, robert the bruce) sold at the brew pub. that would be an ideal way to reward its loyal followers.
  36. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Member

I thought the consensus was that the online sale went markedly better for the XV party, but maybe I'm forgetting something. I know I didn't have any problems with it. Probably didn't have the same demand as DLD though.
  37. phisigben

phisigben Member

On line sale of XV was horrible. I was online at the crack at noon after 2-3 mins of waiting for the page to load I tried to put tickets in my cart and it told me they were already sold out. After trying for 15-20 mins I gave up, but I went back around 2pm to try again and they had tickets for sale. What I heard was the company doing sales for FFF didn't limit the number of tickets you could buy so a bunch of assholes tried buying 10 tickets at a time. Then what they did is after noticing what happened they took away 8 of the tickets from the people who tried to buy 10 and put them back up for sale.
  38. bobbidylan

bobbidylan Member

Dude don't wast your money on Dark Lord. I just back from Cigar City for Hunahpu Day. They tapped Dark Lord and couldn't hold up against the Hunahpu. Dark Lord over rated for the money.
  39. airmike

airmike Member

So here's a possible dumb question.... If I get a pair of Group B tickets (1pm to 3pm) can I still get in through the gates at 10am when the event starts? I'm just thinking of a scenario where my buddies may have a different grouping than I have and how that may affect the day.
  40. DanH11

DanH11 Member

Yes, everyone can go in at 10am. The groups are just for picking up bottles.
    airmike likes this.