1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Dark Lord Help

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by cselby, Dec 9, 2012.

1. cselby

cselby Aficionado (135) California Sep 14, 2012

So I am fairly new to trading (only having completed two real trades) and I could use a little advice:

I am in search for any variant of Dark Lord (really whatever is easiest to get for now) and don't know really how to assess if I have anything worthy to trade. I know that this somewhat depends on the person trading, but I just don't want to look like an idiot here either not offering enough up or possibly even offerering too much.

Right now on hand I have:
    Deschutes The Abyss '12
    Multiple 375ml bottles of Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic '12
    The Bruery Saison de Lente '10
    Goose Island Pere Jacques '10
    Russian River Sours (Supplication, Temptation, Consecration)

Are a combination of stuff like this worthy?

I am in Southern California and can get some other stuff.

Tl;dr noob wants Dark Lord and isn't sure what could be offered for it.

Thanks!

2. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

Put up a ISO:FT with the same list of beers and wait for replies. Then start negotiations with potential traders. If you feel that people want much more than you are willling to part with, than don't do it, if you feel comfortable with what they are asking then you found out what it takes. Good luck!

3. Find yourself in Chicago any time soon and I'll crack one with the quickness.

4. Where at in So Cal are you? I live in Seal Beach and frequent Beachwood BBQ and could meet up sometime and I'll crack one with you.

5. it will get done easily with any cantillon. you could probably get it for less.

6. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

You want any bottle of Dark Lord you can get, including the regular one, or just any one of the Variants?

Dark Lord will be easy to get (and many generous people are obviously willing to share as seen above)

Dark Lord variants (Bourbon, Vanilla, Cognac, Brandy, etc) might not get done for the entire list of stuff you posted.

7. cselby

I should have been more clear, by variants I meant any bottle I can get. Thanks for pointing out my lack of clarity there and thanks for the response. I'm really honored by how generous the people above are.

8. cselby

Great! Thanks! This is good to hear.

9. cselby

I'm in buena park, so really close to Beachwood! I'm actually kinda family friends with Gabe. And wow, really? That is seriously so nice, I'm kinda speechless. It would be an honor to share some Dark Lord with you.

beachstrength49 likes this.
  10. cselby

Wow,thank you! I appreciate the sense of community everyone has been showing me.

UnderJoath and pschul4 like this.
  11. cselby

Thanks for the advice. I'll go into it like that and not be so scared of posting up in the iso:ft

12. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

the worst that can happen is that it doesn't work out. but then at least you will have a better idea of what to offer or you could work out multiple trades with what you already have.

13. If I had one I would send it to you because of your morrissey avatar.

14. gklover1

gklover1 Savant (265) Colorado Oct 18, 2009

I wouldn't describe what you are doing here as scared. Actually, even though I have more knowledge/experience/trades than u right now, I do exactly these same type of posts regularly before posting ISO's. THIS is how you learn the awesomeness of this community. (As long as you are sincere in your post, like you obviously are on this one. It is when people attempt to ascertain the level of value they can SQUEEZE out if a bottle that they isolate themselves quickly.) I actually end up getting almost all of my non-regular trading partner trades done here, based on interaction with the great BAs that respond.

Enjoy!!

Bluecane and xxcarpxx like this.
  15. cselby

Haha, thanks! Nice dopethrone av.

brother_kenneth likes this.
  16. cselby

17. cselby

Shit, I screwed that up

Bluecane likes this.
  18. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

I guess this truly is the new ISO/FT forum... Good to finally hear someone admit it.

Experienced traders aren't making these kinds of posts to get trades done. They monitor the correct forum and then post ISO/FT threads in there to get trades done. Super serial.

Gosox8787 and Photekut like this.
  19. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Tennessee Mar 31, 2006

YES YES YES.

OR... they already have established trading partners that they have not tried to rake over the coals in past trades that are willing to help them out at many of the next new releases as they come out.

This is why the win at all cost mentality of the new BA trader actually hurts in the long run.

Gosox8787, ChadQuest and domtronzero like this.
  20. jacob4999

jacob4999 Savant (330) Michigan Dec 9, 2008

If I had one I would pay you to take it from me. Had my first DL last night from this years batch. One of the most awful, disgusting and revolting beers I've ever tasted. I literally had to hold my nose and choke it down. It was split between 3 people...no one wanted to finish it. I'd rather drink Wild Blue.

21. cselby

I think what I was trying to express with the comment quoted is being a bit misunderstood here. I by no means think that posts such as the one that I originally made are what experienced traders are composing to make and complete trades, nor do I think it is appropriate for me, as a newer member, to go about a trade through this forum. What I was expressing to member gklover1 was that I was glad that even more experienced members sometimes have to inquire about the particular trade value of certain beers. I made this thread to assess if I had enough valued beer to land a bottle of beer that I viewed as somewhat rare. I conducted the trade not through this thread, but on the proper ISO:FT forum.

22. cselby

I simply wanted to try a popular beer that I nor my trading partners have access to. I intended to make a new trading partner through this trade, not just acquire a rare beer and then be done with it.

23. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (480) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

i'd bet you could land a 2011 (possibly even 2010) (personally i wouldn't touch '12 based on how awful i hear it is) with abyss '12 + 1x 375ml cantillon kriek. it might (read: probably will) be different once deschutes starts distributing in illinois and all the chicago-area BAs can get both abyss and DL.