1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dark Lord ice cream...

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Cenosillicaphobe, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

Yeah...sweet as hell as a stout...but as ice cream? My girl just had it at the brewpub last night and said it's amazing...hopefully I'll get to try it for myself in a couple of weeks...has anyone else tried this?
  2. I make ice cream from some of the Southern Tier Blackwater beers - way too sweet to drink, but make a fine & flavorful ice cream. Mokah, Choklat, and Creme Brulee have all worked well. Bet DL would make a good one!
  3. rxeight

rxeight Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 5, 2012

I had the alpha klaus ice cream last month and it was fantastic.
  4. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

Blot out the sun ice cream sucks. Dark lord ice cream is AMAZING. It's like dark chocolate cherry ice cream.
  5. I have to agree I had Dark Lord ice cream last week at the brewpub and I thought it was fantastic.
  6. Dark Lord is too sweet to be ice cream.;)
    CityofBals likes this.
  7. Sixam2

Sixam2 Aficionado (110) Washington Feb 19, 2013

What's the chance of getting the recipe ?
    I love good beers, and good homeade ice-cream..
    OtisCampbell likes this.
  8. First, take an entire bottle and boil it down until it becomes a syrup - like a quarter of the original. (Realize that hoppy beers do NOT work for this - way too bitter after reduction!) Make a standard vanilla ice cream (recipe follows.) Add the cold syrup either into the whole batch and process in the ice cream freezer, or half-freeze it and swirl it in - make sure it's cold before adding - and finish processing.
    1/2 quart heavy cream
    2.5 cups sugar
    1 tsp. vanilla (skip if using Creme Brulee!)
    8 egg yolks
    Bring cream, sugar & vanilla to a boil and whisk constantly. Take off heat and cool in a sink full of cold water, or bowl of ice, whisking occasionally until cool. Whisk in egg yolks and cook over a simmer in a double-boiler, whisking all the time until thick. Chill down completely before processing in your ice cream maker.
    ufmj and CityofBals like this.
  9. Sixam2

Awesome ! Thank you. I'll cook it up this week and let you know how it turns out
    sunnrider likes this.
  10. Sixam2

Beer paring with cheese ? Oh do I have some questions.. Lol
    Now that I brew my own craft beers ( unique beers ) I may have some questions
  11. jcreegan

jcreegan Aficionado (230) Florida Aug 12, 2010

This is awesome. I have been wanting to do this.
  12. melonlen

melonlen Initiate (15) Mar 6, 2013

I had eaten Tier Black water beer flavored ice-cream last month.
    I felt a bit bitter taste I don't know why?