Dark Lord vs. Darkness

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by VeganUndead, Feb 17, 2013.

?

Which did you prefer Three Floyds Dark Lord or Surly Darkness?

1. Dark Lord

21.5%
  2. Darkness

78.5%
  1. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Advocate (675) Virginia Apr 25, 2012

I just had surly darkness for the first time last night, 2012 vintage, and it was immaculate. I do have a 2011 darkness, as well as a 2012 dark lord. So the question is which overall brew is better. I have heard 2012 isn't the best showing for dark lord, but i'm just looking to get some opinions from people who have tried both, as well as some recommendations for how long to cellar each bottle. Thanks for the info, cheers!

2. I am doing a 2008-2012 Darkness vertical soon, will report back on how the '08 is drinking but have heard it is still fantastic.

3. vacax

vacax Advocate (630) California Jun 3, 2008

For the last five years or so every year of Dark Lord has been worse than the last. We're talking to the point it has noticeable brewing flaws and most people dump it out at tastings now. It is kind of sad. Darkness is pretty much good every year.

4. I had an 08 Darkness about 6 months ago. It was still drinking great.

5. sendsilk

sendsilk Advocate (500) Florida Aug 31, 2007

Darkness is excellent. Dark Lord is excellent for trading it to dipshits who THINK it's going to be a great beer (like myself).

6. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

'08 Dark Lord was better than '08 Darkness.
    Every other year of Darkness superior to every other year of Dark Lord.

Just one man's opinion.

djrn2 and gkatsoris like this.
  7. jatut

jatut Aficionado (130) Minnesota Jan 4, 2012

Cool where do I sign up?

ystazi and brewbetter like this.
  8. I'll bring the '12! :D

9. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (605) California Oct 17, 2010

I'm planing on doing a 10 vs 12 soon and can say I'm very excited for it.

I drank both dl 11 and darkness 11 in a short time frame from each other and I found darkness to be stellar. Dark lord had something in it that I didn't like to much, but it was still good

10. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Advocate (675) Virginia Apr 25, 2012

Looks like this is even more one sided than I expected, maybe I should switch it to Darkness vs. the only RIS i've tried that I thought to be superior, Abyss

sarch likes this.
  11. DBijnagte

DBijnagte Savant (250) Minnesota Dec 7, 2012

Only having my first Dark Lord recently (2012 vintage), and being a homer I definitely would go with Darkness. Having only had 2012 Dark Lord the sweetness was overpowering. I still enjoyed Dark Lord but having had most of the vintages of Darkness there was not one year that I would rate lower than the Dark Lord. Seeing the above posts as well as talking to people, I realize that previous years may have been better and my exposure is limited, but in my experience Darkness wins by a mile.

Powderhornphil likes this.
  12. sendsilk

Yes, it's called saccharin!

13. 09 would actually go well over steamed rice. Not as salty as the low sodium soy sauce but has a tad more thickness and more prominent seaweed flavors...

evilc likes this.
  14. 510a

510a Savant (355) Washington Jan 12, 2013

I have heard DL is beer meets soy sauce. Don't have availability in my area so can't say this would be my opinion. But it might make for some interesting tasting stir fry, perhaps a marinade for a coffee crusted steak...hmm.

15. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (600) Germany Jan 19, 2010

I'm a vegetarian and I wouldn't ruin a steak by pouring dark lord over it.

luwak and evilc like this.
  16. Curious to see how 07 Darkness is drinking. Can't recall if the Ny whale slayers drank one recently...

17. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Or the '06 growlers - wonder if any of those 60 still exist.

OneBeertoRTA likes this.
  18. evilc

DL was one of the worst beers I have ever had. Had a '12 - was absolutely a disgusting, cloying mess. How that beer gets hype, and how a barrel fixes it - I have no idea.

19. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

I fall into that category as well. Dark Lord definitely has the highest hype to lowest quality of any of the hyped beers I've had. I've had a few worse imperial stouts, but only a few and none of which was as difficult to obtain.

gpawned and sendsilk like this.
  20. xanok

xanok Savant (415) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

I'm not sure who you're drinking with, but this just seems like nonsense/lies/people with bad palates. I haven't had '12, but '11 was fantastic fresh and even better with a year on it. '10 was great fresh, better with a year, and even better with three years on it (had a '10 last night). So if by "last five years" you mean "just vintages 2009 and 2012," you have a point.

nben60 and Irishace9 like this.
  21. BeerLover99

BeerLover99 Advocate (745) Illinois Dec 13, 2008

I have only had Dark Lord, so far, 2012 and it was amazing. I love Three Floyds, but Surly is underrated, looking forward to sampling Darkness, one day.

22. evilc

Qualifier: do you like Black Tuesday? Do you like aspartame?

23. br3wmeister

br3wmeister Savant (325) Colorado Dec 24, 2006

I was going to do that on December 22 for a we survived the end of the world party, but all my beer geek friends were busy. I would be interested to hear how you think they compare side by side.

24. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (380) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

25. I just did a 2008-2012 vertical with a couple of friends last month. We all thought 2008 was too sweet, but it was also too sweet in 2008. 2009 and 2010 were great. Then we opened 2011, and while it didn't seem like a bad beer, we all found it challenging to drink. We figured it was palate fatigue, but we opened the 2012 anyway, and thought it was fantastic. Back to 2011, and nobody could finish it.

I couldn't really put a finger on the problem. All I know is none of us enjoyed 2011 anywhere near as much as the others. Even 2008 was easy to finish.

26. beermeout

beermeout Disciple (65) Michigan Jun 26, 2010

I say Darkness. Dark Lord is too sweet IMO.

27. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Not even a contest for me. Darkness by a billion miles.

28. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Many off the shelf Imperial Stouts > Darkness >>> Dark Lord.

As far as I am concerned Dark Lord is an awful beer.

kevanb, seplo, gpawned and 2 others like this.
  29. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

I think it's because every year the continue to grow the production and its not a simple task to do so. I've only had 12 Darklord and even though I like it I can see why others do not. It's overly sweet, it does have a soy sauce smell and taste like some say. And hopefully I can get to the rest of my bottles soon.

30. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (485) Florida May 29, 2011

I thought Darklord was pretty terrible. I'd rather drink 90% of Imperial Stouts from my local store than it. Sam Adams Imperial Stout > Darklord

seplo and gpawned like this.
  31. grandmeaulnes

grandmeaulnes Savant (275) Ohio Oct 18, 2010

Darklord is trash.

seplo and gpawned like this.
  32. strangebrew321

strangebrew321 Savant (380) Indiana Feb 18, 2009

Fresh Darkness wins over fresh Dark Lord. Though a well aged Dark Lord, paired with the likes of a grilled steak and smoked blue cheese, is a much finer treat than any Darkness I've ever had ('10-'12)

nben60 likes this.
  33. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

I loved Pappy Dark Lord, but if you have to fix a broken base beer by aging it on an excellent bourbon, I have my reservations. Although the 2011 Darkness I had was excellent, I wouldn't say it was memorable. It did make some mean beer pancakes the morning after!

Jeffo and FUNKPhD like this.
  34. sendsilk

Is that what you call the beer shits in Belgium?

jgluck, gpawned, hood17 and 7 others like this.
  35. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Rarely have I laughed out loud at a forum post. No, literal pancakes, they were gorgeous but they sure did stick to the pan and make a mess.

Here's to hoping "pan" isn't slang for toilet anywhere in the world.

36. Threads like this confuse the shit out of me. Every other person is bashing dark lord like it's going out of style, yet it has a 96 rating? Does bashing good beer make you cool or something?

MrMcGibblets and mellowmark like this.
  37. vacax

All the old timers rated it 5+ years ago when it was good and all the noobs don't know what they're doing.

ElderPuma, gpawned and Revenant like this.
  38. This thread is ridiculous. As a loyal and local fan of FFFs, I would admit last 3 years that Darkness may be a slightly more attractive taste profile thanDL. I even went to Surlys Darkness release and marveled at how it played out. But to say DL is trash and a drain pour, is due to either unsophisticated palates or unfiltered jealousy at not really having access to FFFs.

39. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Savant (480) California Nov 16, 2009

I'm doing the same vertical tomorrow!

40. vacax

If anything, claiming Dark Lord is still good is the mark of an unsophisticated palate. I don't know of any reputable person who would say 2012 Dark Lord is a good beer. Can you not pick up all the soy sauce and green apple off-flavors?

gpawned, grandmeaulnes and Revenant like this.