1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dark Lord vs. Darkness

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by VeganUndead, Feb 17, 2013.

?

Which did you prefer Three Floyds Dark Lord or Surly Darkness?

1. Dark Lord

21.5%
  2. Darkness

78.5%
  1. had at new years. its still good but has faded a ton. no oxidation or off flavors whatsoever. we did 07-12 and I liked 08 most

2. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

I've only had fresh 2011 DL's and Darkness, and an 2008 Darkness and 2010 DL, and must say that fresh DL was a bit much in a way I didn't really like. I did, however, like the 2010, but both Darknesses were better. I'm just going to discount that to having improper taste buds and being super jealous, though. Thanks for clearing that up.

gpawned likes this.
  3. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Definitely, oh supreme beer guru whose opinion is the only one that counts.

Seriously, to each their own. I was severly disappointed with Dark Lord and would definitely call it borderline trash. The 2011 was horrendous, the 2012 was somewhat redeemed by the lingering coffee in there. There's good sweet and bad sweet for me, and I say Black Tuesday belongs in the former, Dark Lord in the latter category.

I wouldn't say it's due to jealousy for me, since I had the opportunity to taste a few of the BA ones as well. I have to say they greatly benefit from barrel-aging to the point where the base beer becomes obsolete.

Oh, and why Dark Lord gets awesome ratings? It's a big, bold beer and obviously the hype's a factor. To this day I never understand why people would EVER consider Westy 12 the best beer in the world, it's probably the biggest and emptiest hype shell the world has ever known. I was at the abbey for the first time two weeks ago and the brewpub/restaurant was packed with tourists. Also: hiring people that do ridiculously hard pours of ice cold bottles, says enough about the supposed "best beer in the world" to me.

4. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

I was so disappointed when I opened Darkness. It was so unbelievably pedestrian that if you strip away the event/release, and the killer bottle art (which is some of the best IMO) you would have as generic a stout as can be. I had a 2012 but I hear with some age, it gets way better.

So naturally I picked Darklord because I love the stuff.

nben60 likes this.
  5. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

The thing I always find funny is that it would seem most BA's rag on Darklord for being too sweet and say that it's trash, but as you pointed out, it has a 96, and another thing is no one wants to give it up in trades. If the beer is so bad, wouldn't people be in an extreme hurry to get rid of it?

MrMcGibblets likes this.
  6. I agree. Darkness is a great beer, but put some Bell's Expedition away in your cellar. With 3,4,5, or 10 years on it - what an incredible beer. And much easier to get than either Darkness or that other beer.

7. I'm done.

gpawned likes this.
  8. I was going to send a bottle to you, but then I noticed your a Blackhawks fan.

shutyourface and BeerLover99 like this.
  9. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Gotta love the "if you don't like Dark Lord you either must have a broken palate or some sort of sleazy hipster" attitude some have in this thread. Give me a break, a number of fair and reputable BAs think it is an awful beer. It is just an opinion, I am sure these people question your opinions as well. I don't drink beer with your palate, you don't drink it with mine. Let's take it easy here.

I don't buy into ratings for many reasons. Too much emphasis is placed on a number and not enough on the words behind them. I have read some of the higher rated reviews by people who have proven themselves trustworthy and I simply do not taste the same things they are. Vintage often has a lot to do with it, personal preference as well.

Trade value absolutely makes sense. People hold onto it because they know someone is willing to pony up to land a bottle. Many are not holding on to it waiting to drink it. Dark Lord still has that mystique surrounding it. It is one of those beers with a big following, big release and big name, many people make it a point to tick this from the beginning. Irregardless of the seemingly shifting of opinion on its quality, people will continue to seek it out.

gpawned, teorn88, b33rknuts and 4 others like this.
  10. Thank you, and why do 6-7k tics to DLD sell out in 2 nano sec's.

11. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

This is bullshit.

12. evilc

Because the event is awesome and people want BADLs.

litheum94, shutyourface and sendsilk like this.
  13. evilc

People do get rid of it, in a hurry. See the trade forum after DLD. It is cake to land in a trade. I traded 2 $6 Alpine year round bombers for my '12.

sendsilk likes this.
  14. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Darkness in a landslide!

Cheers!

SteveKotajarvi and Hopsiam14 like this.
  15. evilc

x10.

SteveKotajarvi and FosterJM like this.
  16. Never said you must love DL or it's the greatest brew ever. But, the "opinion" that it's a drain pour.... is ridiculous. If you look at the body of work that Three Floyds brews, their average quality of beer far excedes the many of the provincial favorites from around the country. Not sure why there's so many folks that seem to relish in knocking down the F's. But, I wish you all woulod stop buying their beers, cause it's still not readily avail on their home turf.

nben60 and MrMcGibblets like this.
  17. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

Both are great! Bang!

Everybody send me some so I can do some "research" on the matter

jgluck and CraftEyeDoc like this.
  18. evilc

True - FFF makes awesome beers. I love a lot of them and trade for them all the time. However - DL sucks and is a drain pour. Quit being a homer. I live 12 miles from Alpine and love a lot of their beers - but they also make some lousy ones and I call those out too.

vacax likes this.
  19. kzoobrew

I would absolutely pour more DL down the drain that I would down my throat. I am still waiting to be blown away by the beer like other have, but so far every single experience I have had with the beer has been very disappointing.

And while we are at it let's slow down, maybe even back up a bit. People are talking about one beer here, they are not talking about Three Floyds as a whole. I don't care about their body of work, they are still able to make a drain pour of a beer, and they have made a couple over the last year. I agree that FFF makes many excellent beers and I gladly drink many of them.

litheum94 and evilc like this.
  20. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

I find Darkness more tolerable than DL, but wouldn't trade for either of them, and I pass on them when they're at tastings now.... did a vert. of DL twice, I wish to never consume another drop.

I'm curious about the BA variations though, and I'm the biggest fan of BA Owde Engwish there is.... so I'm hardly a FFF hater.

gpawned and Beerontwowheels like this.
  21. I do love Alpine. I give up, you guys win.

22. evilc

It's just a conversation man, not winning or losing. I really did drainpour my 12 after an honest chance with around 6oz. I love FFF. I have sent thousands of dollars worth of Alpine and AleSmith beers out your way the past year for many beers from all your awesome breweries.

gpawned likes this.
  23. NooseJustice

NooseJustice Savant (465) Indiana Aug 4, 2010

I've traded virtually all of my Dark Lord vintages from '08 to now. wish i would have tried to land a Darkness at some point. i still have an '11 i may offer up.

24. I recently did a 05, 07, 10 and 12 Dark Lord vertical. I have to say 2012 was my least favorite. But each was very very different. IMO Dark Lord needs to sit and mellow out. The 05 had no sweetness and was very oaky and complex. Each got slightly more sweet but the 07 and 10 where everyone's favorites. While I didn't have 05, 07 or 10 fresh I did have 2012 at DLD and drank a few bottles since. And each time I drank the 2012 it seems to her better and better. I have 2 more bottles of 2012 and going to build 2 verticals. And can't wait to see what the 2012 does with age esp after have those vintage versions. I do have a 2011 and 2012 Darkness but waiting to crack those until I can get 2013.

25. 2012 Dark Lord was awful. Cola syrup. Darkness is significantly more consistent and significantly more drinkable. Hoping the 2008 Dark Lord in the cellar can make this race a little closer.

evilc likes this.
  26. BeerLover99

BeerLover99 Advocate (735) Illinois Dec 13, 2008

Sounds like you are a Grateful Dead fan...so you must be cool. My best friend of 25 yrs is in INDIANA. My ARMY roommate is from IN. My sister-in-law's best friend was from IN.

I may be a USC Trojan, but always have big love for Midwest/Great Lakes, so many special memories.

27. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

I find it ironic that DL takes so flak but the variants seem to get nothing but praise

28. evilc

Barrel must fix something - maybe the wood absorbs all the saccharin.

29. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

I wouldn't call it an unsophisticated palate so much as I would call you a FFF fanboy who is obviously butthurt.

gpawned, grandmeaulnes and vacax like this.
  30. For all the DL bashing I witnessed I still have yet to try it. Somebody send me some.

montrealbcr89 likes this.
  31. Having had them both I could care less if I ever drink them again. DL is trash and Darkness is decent at best. Especially when I can pay less money for a 750ml of speedway stout which is superior to both

FUNKPhD likes this.
  32. Matynich

Matynich Aspirant (25) Virginia Feb 8, 2013

So, to someone who has never tried either and doesn't have access to either, which one should be the one that I attempt to trade for?

33. evilc

Darkness. Much higher chance of liking it.

34. shawnp

shawnp Savant (455) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

Hmmm, lets see.....Darkness = Great. Dark Lord = Not great. Any questions?

35. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

In your opinion would Founders Imperial Stout fall into that category of "many off the shelf Imperial Stouts" ?

'Cause I've never had these two but I've recently enjoyed the shit out of FIS, Bell's Expo, Ten Fidy, GD Oak Yeti, and Narwhal (which appears to be a rather polarizing beer, but personally I really dug it). But FIS was the best of that bunch.

gpawned likes this.
  36. I think Dark Lord is one of those beers you either like or you don't. Really not much of an in between. Curious how many of you guys have drank DL with some age on it? And I am not speaking just a year. Fresh DL is very sweet but letting it cellar this beer's sweetness mellows out and is very complex. Even drinking a 2012 now the beer has definitely changed and for the good.

sprucetip, MrMcGibblets and otrejo like this.
  37. Haven't had the Surly (I hope to) but the Dark Lord is freaking awesome, at least IMO.

38. Darkness was damn near perfection in a stout, pretty much flawless. The Dark Lord was excellent, but I thought it was cloyingly sweet to a fault.

I'd love to do a side-by-side comparison one day.

39. kzoobrew

FIS is certainly in that group. Expedition definitely there as well.

gpawned likes this.
  40. d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-darkness