1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Darkness Day Questions

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by gillagorilla, Mar 10, 2014.

1. I was going through the pictures for Darkness Day for a post on Huna Day. I came across these two pictures that got me wondering and confused me.

First, is this Michael C. Hall getting/serving beer?
    [​IMG]

Second, what is going on here? (drinking beer and hitting nails into a stump must be a MN thing)
    [​IMG]

p.s. To make this more relevant and to perhaps contrast this with the Huna disaster, how does Surly run their big event?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  2. Wish I had been there so I could tell you!

3. Caption contest? That second picture really confuses me.

Chaz likes this.
  4. That works for me. It almost looks like a father-son kind of contest (the red hat guy is dad to the green hat guy, while the guy holding the hammer is the son to the guy in the foreground with the beanie). They are teaching them the sacred game of Hammer Nail, that has been passed down for ages as the greatest of parking lot tailgating games.

1000lbgrizzly and BeerGoogler like this.
  5. Second picture looks like the drinking game "stump". I'm not 100% certain on the rules, but I know it entails catching a spinning hammer, hitting nails, and drinking.

6. Egad! 3 things that should not go together. I mean this has got to be a hard game to hold at a tailgate because that stump looks really heavy.

7. The second picture is Hammerschlagen.... You have one shot to hit the nail with your opposite hand (I'm right handed so I had to use my left hand) once you take your shot you pass the hammer to the next person. First one to get their nail all the way into the stump wins... We were actually betting dollars that day. Made for some good competition.

Game is a German one I believe. You see it during Oktoberfest a lot too.

BeerGoogler and Mnmaverick like this.
  8. Well, at least I know the next game I'm gonna try and play with some friends.

1000lbgrizzly likes this.
  9. You basically get in line early, some people camp, grill, and do tastings all night. From the last time I was there I got in line around 3AM. I've heard some years more recent people have got wristbands as late as 7AM (can't confirm this though). The sales and beer starts flowing at 11AM. It's pretty cold in MN in late October so you have to dress warm. Basically they have an allotted number of wristbands and if they make it back to you in line you get to buy your darkness assuming you buy it buy the time they state. Regardless of if people have bought their allotment by getting the wristband, they open up sales to anybody to buy more at a given time. Not sure how much more you can get though. Probably not much. Personally I hope they move to a ticketing system that would not allow all the crap that happened at Huna Day 14.

They have bands, the regular Surly beers for sale via kegs, food trucks, typically they have quite a few nice Surly Surly variants sold via keg.

10. IIRC that didn't happen last year.

11. Interesting... They just didn't do secondary sales? Or they waited till later than they said they would like all sorts of breweries have been -- going back on their word. It's not like it's hard to get your Darkness before they go to secondary sales so I find that crappy but thanks for the info.

12. It did. It was just shorter-lived than in 2012. I snagged 4 bottles after the wristband purchasers got their fill, but they sold out really quickly.

13. There were secondary sales. Max of 4 bottles. Camping out the night before is more about the social aspect. They allow tents and firepits and grills. You wait in line in the morning (7am - 9am)for an hour or so (breakfast food and free coffee available) to get your bracelet and then pack up/chill/sleep/go out to breakfast for a couple hours until the gates open. Once inside everything is easy. Beer lines are not that long and I barely broke stride going throught the brewery to get my bottles during my noon time slot. And the last two years writstbands were still available later in the morning.

14. I haven't been there since 2011 so my info might be outdated but I assume that since you are at the beginning of the line and slept there it's a little different than those who come in the morning. Maybe they make more as they never used to have tickets that late to my knowledge. Obviously every year is different but do you think people that showed up at 7AM still got a bracelet? My recollection from 2011 was that people that showed up after 5AM or so would not have bot a bracelet. More reason for me to go if I don't have to get there that late as the beer shares from 3AM to 11PM put me in a state where I'm just to drunk to enjoy the day.

The keg Omar usually puts out at the front of the line is a nice touch.

15. EJJ1848

EJJ1848 Savant (405) Minnesota Jun 24, 2013

Here are some main differences

- Darkness day is open to anyone, there are no tickets
    - You are only guaranteed bottles if you have a wrist band, which requires being there very early AM. They clearly set a time where it is the earliest you can arrive, I think it was 3pm friday this past year.
    - You dont get unlimited beer with your entry. Beer tickets are sold at separate booths from the pour stations, with this, people dont stick around all day and "try to get their monies worth" , much less congestion.
    - Surly also distributes a healthy amount of Darkness to stores, which I feel like lessens the Hype and Angst of the attendees. (I got shut out last year and still had a great time , and was able to get as many bottles as I needed from distribution)

On a different topic, Is the new brewery going to be open for D-Day '14?

16. I wouldn't count on it and even if it is, don't expect the show to move to the new location. Surly's got a good thing going with their original location and the city of Brooklyn Park (municipal controlled liquor stores). Surly leases the grounds out to the city for the day and they're the ones who "sell" the beer to us commoners. Minneapolis doesn't have a municipal store setup and I've got imagine at least one or more places will cry foul if they try to do this in the city.

Just my 2 cents though... :cool:

striker2160 likes this.
  17. I think it was 3 or 4 kegs of Cacao Bender last year,

BeerGoogler likes this.
  18. MNPikey

MNPikey Advocate (500) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

Surly event isn't that big. Not even half the size of DLD or Huna.

19. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (415) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

I think that part of the reason that is smaller is the access to it in the community. It seems to be around at bars for weeks and I usually shows up each month somewhere, I had it on tap a week ago. And now that Surly distros across the state, small towns get it as well. Beer Geeks also have a larger distance to travel to MN and the weather is always an unknown. If you are from Florida and hear it is going to be 20 degrees overnight, it may keep you away.

Ungertaker likes this.
  20. SudsSavant that is probably
    all true except it is Brooklyn Center not Park. I am sorry as a life long resident I had to correct this. It happens all the time. Ha Ha

21. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Savant (445) Minnesota Jul 23, 2013

Ill go ahead and reiterate what has been said: D-Day isnt as big as some of the other ones, which is kind of interesting because darkness > dark lord (imo).

That being said, they could NEVER handle 2000+ and it would be chaos. I think the busiest it got was maybe ~1000?

Plus it was chilly, which probably kept the masses in more of a 'zombie' mode and relatively subdued.

That and lets keep something in mind, its Minnesota. People are relatively cordial. Even the crazy people rocking out to the metal bands were doing so in a "respectful to their surroundings" manner. I mean, a line formed for the open bottle sales, when there was no reason for a line.

Final Point: Huna day is in Tampa. Tampa is in Florida.

[​IMG]

22. mkhartnett

mkhartnett Savant (320) Minnesota Oct 27, 2010

Well, cordial when they aren't lighting dumpsters on fire

BeerGoogler and Hopsiam14 like this.
  23. AnalogErik

That was two years ago, and we got this as a result, which was an interesting beer, so I'll let it go. lol.

24. mkhartnett

mkhartnett Savant (320) Minnesota Oct 27, 2010

Interesting is the right word. Not terrible, but can't drink that much of it. Though Darkness Days I'm all about having Damien a bunch.

25. Best guess is that when DDay 2014 comes around, it will still be in BC, even if the Minneapolis brewery is up and running or not. Mpls has no municipal liquor store which will sell bottles for them.

26. Douggo

Douggo Aficionado (235) Minnesota Oct 24, 2009

I thought those idiots were out-of-towners?

27. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (415) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

FIBs...

Ish1, BrettHead, Douggo and 1 other person like this.
  28. Sorry about that. Sad part is I even double-checked it to make sure I had the right city and still typed in Brooklyn Park.

29. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (515) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

Last year the estimate was 2500 attendees, with 1500 Darkness wristbands handed out by a little after 9am. I've worked the event since 2010 and have been to DLD and other releases (not Huna), Surly events are just better run and staffed.
    I think also the fact that the event is in Minnesota, in late October and the only way to guarantee yourself a bottle is to spend 12 plus hours in line... outside.. limits their exposure to the shit shows experienced elsewhere.

30. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

The only shit show, if at all is trying to park and get your place in line to camp out over night. Once that's handled it's as smoothly run event as it gets considering most attendees have been drinking for over a day. I gotta agree, thanks to you and the other volunteers/Surly staff and crew, Darkness Day continues to be the most fun beer event I attend each year.

BeerGoogler and Pintofbrown like this.
  31. AnalogErik

I hung out for around 2 hours this year, and only spent 40 minutes in line for the general sale this year...

32. AnalogErik

Yeah it was a little too hot for my palate. I've had pepper beers before, this was pretty rough.

33. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

I actually thought this was one of the more drinkable pepper beers I have had, I wonder how much it differed batch to batch...

Pintofbrown likes this.
  34. Having just got back from huna day... all I can say is wow, they fucked that up. I've been to alot of beer festivals and bottle releases and as far as size goes, darkness day is far smoother than most. I think it really helps to have a shit load of volunteers that actually care

35. jarrgal

jarrgal Savant (470) North Dakota Mar 12, 2012

Very true. Nothing like waking up to a stranger in the middle night, who opens the door to your car, and says with a 1,000-yard stare, "The zombies are coming for you."

Can read the rest of the story here: http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/surly-darkness-day-2013.119984/page-11#post-1840124

Going to reiterate this again, it would be cool to see Surly (Todd) make a beer called Zombie Prius for Darkness Day this year. Credit to hopdragon for the name.

Ungertaker, Hopsiam14 and JakeT469 like this.
  36. dasmusik

dasmusik Savant (255) Minnesota Oct 25, 2011

Holy, somehow I missed @pandera 's post at the end of that thread. They found the guy! My google search didn't turn up any photos, so not sure if it's the same guy or not, but I doubt there are two intoxicated individuals running around the Twin Cities metro, stealing cars, claiming "teh zembies" are after them, all within a month of each other.

http://www.startribune.com/local/south/233865121.html

Charges: Man stole delivery truck because he was 'running from zombies'
    • Updated: November 30, 2013 - 12:01 AM
    After stealing a newspaper delivery truck from a gas station, an intoxicated Apple Valley man told police that he took it because he was “running from zombies,” according to criminal charges filed this week.

Garrett Howard Hurlbut, 23, was charged with stealing a motor vehicle on Sept. 29. Just after 1 a.m., according to court documents, Hurlbut stole the Star Tribune delivery truck while its driver was dropping off newspapers inside an Apple Valley Kwik Trip on W. 145th St.

Police found Hurlbut near the truck several blocks away, at 140th Street and Cedar Avenue. He told police that he had “jumped or fell from the truck” and was “running from zombies,” according to the criminal complaint.

According to the complaint, the defendant had “bloodshot, watery eyes and a strong odor of alcoholic beverages on his breath.” He was found to have a blood alcohol level of .198, more than twice the legal limit for driving.

He was taken to the hospital to treat cuts on his head. Police officers heard Hurlbut make several statements about stealing the truck because he was being chased by zombies.

Erin Adler

37. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Champion (780) Minnesota Nov 12, 2010

38. AnalogErik

BrettHead likes this.
  39. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (445) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

Dan, this story made my weekend last year. Of course it sucked that you and Jay were the recipients of the guy's shenanigans however, I bet you'll have a special affinity for every sip of Zombie Prius at next year's Darkness Day.

dasmusik likes this.