Darkness Day Questions

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by gillagorilla, Mar 10, 2014.

1. dasmusik

dasmusik Savant (300) Minnesota Oct 25, 2011

Man, close resemblance, same build, haircut, etc. Not immediately recognizable though so maybe others can confirm. I was pretty "tired" at that point... Definitely the guy from the article though, nice detective work Brandon!

2. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Savant (470) Minnesota Jul 23, 2013

Dude, it's a beer site. "drunk" is perfectly okay. Lol.

dasmusik likes this.
  3. They went on sale at 3pm, but there wasn't very much left at that point because the wristband crowd was much larger than previous years.

4. Seconded.

5. mkhartnett

mkhartnett Savant (360) Minnesota Oct 27, 2010

Having volunteered I will say that it's great on that end too. Most the people are very considerate, take directions very well and really just want to have a good time without getting crazy. I handled parking last year and it was crazy, but fun.

6. We brought a pop-up camper and a gennie to give us power and that was pretty awesome, but the volunteer route sounds like it could be a ton of fun as well. I may have to consider that option for future years, especially since I live a mile away from Surly. \m/

SipIt likes this.
  7. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

Don't get me wrong, it's as smooth as could be expected, but still having a ton of people jostling for a position at one time is a bit hectic(especially when trying to coordinate a group of people from out of town and the camper Googler mentioned). Once parked and your spot in line is set - there's nothing to do but have a great time with friends.

BeerGoogler likes this.
  8. I thought the Darkness Zombie seemed a bit older than the Star Tribune Zombie.

9. mnbuffalo

mnbuffalo Aficionado (215) Michigan Jul 26, 2012

It will be interesting to see if Darkness Day will be smaller now that more is produced and easily available in stores and on tap. The bottle share is worth it for me, but I wonder if others will be less inclined to give up one of the last weekends in fall to attend.

Pintofbrown likes this.
  10. Pintofbrown

Pintofbrown Advocate (540) Iowa Jun 25, 2011

Darkness Day and D-Day Eve are FAR too much fun to not go. The bottle share is crazy. Plus, it has to be the friendliest, most inebriated, craft beer loving, one night shanty town in the country.

11. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (330) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

Totally agree with this. And even though we're getting a very ample supply of Surly down here in the Chicago market, this FIB will still be attending D-Day (don't worry I will not be starting dumpster fires).

mnbearsfan and BeerGoogler like this.
  12. kingston2

kingston2 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Sep 14, 2008

When is it in 2014?? Is it a set weekend every year??

13. HoudiniRN

HoudiniRN Savant (315) Minnesota Feb 28, 2014

I was told the weekend before halloween...Although Halloween is on a Friday this year...

14. Guzzi

Guzzi Aficionado (170) Iowa Nov 19, 2011

It has been the last Saturday in October for the last 5 years. I'm not saying that is for sure the date this year, but it is the day I plan on being there.

15. FourBetter

FourBetter Savant (265) Minnesota Nov 12, 2010

The last saturday in October - unless it is Halloween on Fri/Sat - then it will be the weekend before.

16. Darkness day is a blast. beer, heavy metal, camping, and bullshitting with other beer fans all night long. what else could you ask for?

17. mkhartnett

Personally, something that isn't heavy metal. I know that's part of the bit, but it sounds like guys just screaming on stage and I can't understand it. Seriously, could be listing the ingredients in a Twinkee. I wouldn't know.

maximum12, McRyan and lurpy1 like this.
  18. nograz

nograz Aficionado (235) Minnesota Oct 30, 2013

They should get Iron Maiden! You can understand them and their songs are about history, mythology and folk lore!

Love me some Iron Maiden, more my speed for metal.

19. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Champion (795) Minnesota Nov 12, 2010

Probably don't understand or even remember a lot following Darkness Eve!

20. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

Anyways, the metal aspect to me is awesome, you're never going to please everyone, and metal is part of their brewery, so it makes sense. I wouldn't go to country fest and wonder about the lack of rock bands.
    Definitely not picking on you or anything, I totally get it. If Darkness Day was country bands I would be saying the same thing as you.

21. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Champion (795) Minnesota Nov 12, 2010

NO EGGS!

22. mkhartnett

Right, I'm not saying anything bad about the people who like the music or the bands, just totally not my thing, and only slightly deters my enjoyment of the day in general, as it's awesome. We are all one big dysfunctional happy family.

23. GHphoto

GHphoto Aficionado (165) Illinois Dec 1, 2013

Do they ever release BA Darkness in Bottles?

24. doner24

doner24 Aficionado (200) Minnesota Apr 16, 2013

No