Darkness @ Heritage Liquors

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by PlethoraOfPalette, Jan 23, 2013.

1. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (515) Missouri May 11, 2012

I wish I had one for you. I got skunked

2. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

Cellars in Woodlbury has a few cases of Darkness as well. Apparently they also had this Black Note people speak of, but its gone

3. KWMiles

KWMiles Initiate (0) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

They had to get rid of Darkness bottles to make room for Pentagram in the warehouse.

Ish1 likes this.
  4. MNPikey

MNPikey Advocate (500) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

Any around? I tried a few places today and no luck. Was told at a well known Mpls store that Surly was offering it to required a case of Smoke be purchased for each one of Darkness. Guess Smoke isn't selling well this year?

5. they should put smoke in cans and price it like furious or bender. I would buy it much more often.

they should put darkness in cans too. and price is like bells or founders. yeah, that would be cool.

6. MNPikey

MNPikey Advocate (500) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

After making several trips to Hudson this year for Ten Fidy I agree.

7. and 750s of bourbon barrel darkness.

however, this would then eliminate the magic of Darkness Day, which would be a bummer.

8. Darkness in cans on darkness day. 6 packs for everyone!

Penguin3200 likes this.
  9. or maybe a different imp stout in a can seperate from darkness.

10. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Savant (325) Minnesota Jun 18, 2008

I very much enjoyed Worthy Adversary, but it's no Darkness. Not even Stone RIS or Expo stout. Or Abyss. It's good but not worth mention with the best, locally available RIS, IMHO. It would be great if it was more cost efficient to be sure!

arniepnminne likes this.
  11. chrisp450

chrisp450 Savant (300) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

Completely agree. Not bad, but not in the same league.

12. I also saw the two lonely bottom shelf bottles at MGM, took those two beautiful Darkness off the shelf and 4-Deschutes Hop Henge @$5 each

13. Idk if its still there but haskells near Nicollet mall had some on Saturday...no limit. All in all I walked away with 9 bottles of Darkness this weekend on my visit from Wisco...sorry MN, come and take all the New Glarus you want. Also was talking with the beer buyer at France 44 he said feb 6th they were releasing darkness, black note and others.

14. i want Bandwagon in cans too as long as were on the subject

copslovebeer and minnesotaryan like this.
  15. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

No need to be sorry. It's like the towel boy apologizing for bangin the cheerleader after the entire football team already ran through her :D

16. F44 is Sat Feb 16th, not the 6th.

17. Oops sorry, shoddy memory not trying to give bad info

18. I think you're missing the point; the point is that worthy adversary likely costs the same or more to produce as darkness, so why the huge price discrepancy?

19. Bourbon Barrel Darkness Day!

copslovebeer and chrisp450 like this.
  20. chrisp450

chrisp450 Savant (300) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

Demand sir. Demand.

21. You're right there, but as supply increases, as it does every year, the price will have to come down eventually. How much do you think it costs to make a bottle of darkness, $5?

22. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

BB Darkness < Darkness

23. Its not what it costs to make, its worth whatever the consumer wants to pay to enjoy. Ill be buying the hell out of it every time I see it. 18 bucks is a more than reasonable price for a beer like darkness. Just dont tell my wife how many I bought please.

and FWIW, Worthy Adversary is an amazing beer. But the two cannot be compared.

arniepnminne likes this.
  24. Oak Aged Worthy Adversary. That's all I am gonna say.

25. Is this only brewery available or something they will release in bottles?

26. I think they had two casks of it last year. I had it at the muddy pig. It was incredible.

27. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Savant (325) Minnesota Jun 18, 2008

I understand where u are coming from now. I think the reality is that certain items, beer or otherwise, that are superior to, or are perceived as being superior to similar items will be priced higher regardless of cost to produce. This is true wirh cars, clothing, etc. Certain brands can charge more per product, and Surly's brand currently has more name value than Fulton.

That said I still think Darkness is on a different level than WA and will happily pay more for it. I do wish they made enough quantity to drive the prices down to Stone RIS prices, but I doubt that will happwn

28. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

As good as Stone IRS is, I bet Darkness costs more.

29. You are likely right due to the economies of scale Stone enjoys.

30. So I think we can agree Darkness is a great beer. I think we can also agree a lot of the demand is due to the rarity or perceived rarity. Once Surly starts producing more (as they do every year) the rarity fades, as does the willingness of the average consumer to pay a much larger amount than they do for equivalent beers. Once this occurs, Surly is faced with 2 choices; lower the price or produce less beer.

gatornation likes this.
  31. Curt1

Curt1 Savant (305) Minnesota Nov 15, 2010

Or start distributing to other states

32. DBijnagte

DBijnagte Savant (250) Minnesota Dec 7, 2012

Just saw 3 bottles of Darkness at Surdyk's @ $26.99, right next to the $17.99 Smoke.

33. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Jim Surdyk can go ahead and choke on my balls.

34. accordselux

accordselux Savant (310) Minnesota Nov 26, 2007

Only if they're French.

RKPStogie likes this.
  35. I completely agree with you. Jimmy S does have people watching BA. I've been scolded before for my comments about his business practices...

minnesotaryan likes this.
  36. Yeah, I saw it for $25.99 and told them that was ridiculous.
    They told me they paid a ridiculous price from their distributor.

I left it at that, seeing on how they did call me in for Black Note - can't bite the hand that feeds you now.
    I may even go back and buy it in a month, if it's still there, just to keep the relationship I got with them.