Dismiss Notice
Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Learn more about beer. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for as low as 68% off the single issue price.

Subscribe now →

Belgium Day trip from Antwerp to Westmalle and Achel

Discussion in 'Europe' started by xxporcupinextreexx, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Hi folks,

This is my first post on Beeradvocate. My wife and I will be heading to Europe in September/October, and we're going to spend the first leg in Belgium. I was wondering if it's possible to do a day trip out from Antwerp to Westmalle and Achel, and what the most efficient way of getting to them would be (excluding driving, which we don't want to do). I believe you can't tour Westmalle, but there's a cafe next to it. I'd love your input on whether it's possible to do both those in a day, especially logistically, since I've never been there and have no idea about the transportation.

2. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (510) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

I've been to the Westmalle café and, to be honest, it's not really work the trek out. It's very modern and not particularly atmospheric or interesting.

Achel is nicer as you're inside the monastery complex, but it's right out in the middle of nowhere. I've no idea how you would get there by public transport.
  3. I agree with this....Westmalle is not a place you must try to visit. If you want to visit a abbey i think the best and most famous one will always be the Saint Sixtus abbey Westvleteren. Now and then i place the info on the Benelux forum.

The best part is when you go on a saturday you can also visit the best brewer there is...:Struise.

4. Thanks guys. I'm definitely planning on Westvleteren. We have about 10-11 days scheduled for Belgium. I only had 2-3 days for Antwerp, so if you have other recommendations (other than Achel, which I'm still planning on visiting) around Antwerp, that would be great too.
  5. od_sf

od_sf Savant (430) California Nov 2, 2010

Unfortunately "The good beer guide to Belgium" is out of print, and selling for ridiculously high prices on Amazon.
  6. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (910) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008 Verified

7. od_sf

od_sf Savant (430) California Nov 2, 2010

8. You can reach Achelse Kluis (Achel Abbey) from Antwerp by train & bus but you will need at least 2 hours to get there ! Take the train to Neerpelt and take the bus. Going there and back will already fill up most of your day so ... Doing both without a car is not recommandable !
  9. Westmalle is easy to get to from Antwerp. 30 to 40 minutes on a bus from Antwerp Centre. There's one every hour.
    You'll pick up their beer anywhere so depending on how much time you have to invest possibly not worth a 3 to 4 hour round trip.
    Tasty food in the cafe though!
    UncleJimbo likes this.