1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Day trips from Munich

Discussion in 'Germany' started by shirsch, May 3, 2012.

1. I will be in the Munich for 4 nights in May and I would like to plan some day trips. I am going to Andechs monastery and Neuhouser sp? Castle. I am considering one overnight trip if there is a worthwhile destination. Any recommendations?
  2. Is sonthofen and the Hirschbrau brewery worth visiting? Obertdorf is also right next to Sonthofen. Has anyone been?
  3. Honestly my recommendation for an overnighter would be Salzburg, Austria. May is usually pretty reliable for good weather, and I can't imagine a more perfect day away than wandering around Salzburg and then spending the afternoon and evening in the Augustiner beer hall and garden...grabbing some self-service rolls and wurst/cheese from the Schmankerlgang and then a self-service liter mug from the garden to (repeatedly) refill at the tap. If you get started early enough, you could even stop off at the Chiemsee beer garden for a Weisswurstfruehstueck (the Traunsteiner Hofbrau Weizen is a real treat). Enjoy!

p.s. I spent 4 nights in Oberstdorf. It's a very nice setting, but the town itself can get a bit boring (lots of German old folks...)
    dcsundevil2002 and Redrover like this.
  4. Thanks for the input. I would like to do some outdoor activities (hiking, biking,etc.) at some point. Is this better in Salzberg or Oberstdorf?
  5. BigAB

BigAB Aficionado (150) Iowa Aug 4, 2008

I completely agree with Herr Burgess - drop down to Salzburg and enjoy (try some leberkase while you're there too).

Also, maybe think about Aying, which lies just outside the southern edge of Munich. You can also reach Nürnberg in about an hour or so by train (sad to say I didn't visit myself, but I will next time).

Just out of curiosity, did you mean Neuschwanstein castle? It's a very beautiful area/castle, although the tour can seem somewhat hurried.
  6. Yes, that's the castle. It looks too cool not to visit. What do you mean by hurried?
  7. Or a Kaesekrainer sausage!

Aying: yes. Nuernberg: nah... If you go north then continue 15 min past Nbg to Forchheim...or 45 min to Bamberg and be in true beer heaven. Nuernberg has always bored me; all of the disadvantages of a big city and none of the true advantages (IMO).

Or you could go to Schloss Linderhof (and stop at Kloster Ettal) on the way...so many options. Kloster Weltenburg would also be a possibility.
  8. BigAB

I guess the history of Nuernberg is intriguing to me, so maybe that's why I thought it would be "neat". You're right, of course within the context of beer (and it's own history and architecture) - Bamberg easily wins. But I guess I look at Bamberg as more than a day trip; I could have spent 3 days there, no sweat.

Shirsch - by "hurried", I mean that the guides are very efficient at getting you through the sights quickly (not much time, IMO, to take it all in - and pictures inside the castle are banned, of course) and then on your way to the gift shop and restaurant (IIRC). As I said, it's still a beautiful area and interesting nonetheless.
  9. mjtierney2

mjtierney2 Savant (445) Germany Jul 31, 2011

My non-beer-related recommendation for a day-trip would be the Concentration Camp Memorial in Dachau. Needless to say it's pretty somber, and maybe not always something one thinks of doing on a fun-filled vacation, but very much worth the time in my opinion. Outside of what has already been recommended (+1 to Bamberg for an overnight, btw), the "Encyclopedia of World Beers" (Benjamin Myers & Graham Lees) says of Brauereigenossenschaft Reutberg (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4154): "...probably the most beautiful beer-garden view in southern Germany", which is saying a lot in my opinion. I've never been, though.
  10. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Berchtesgaden isn't far from Munich (or Salzburg) and the ski mountain is open in the Spring/Summer for hiking -- and a nice hike it is.

Oh, and the Hofbräu Berchtesgaden has a gorgeous view of the same mountain.

As to castles, just down the road from Salzburg is the small, quaint town of Werfen home of Schloß Hohenwerfen. If you've seen Where Eagles Dare, with Eastwood and Burton, the castle will be very familiar.
  11. True, the Nazi parade grounds are indeed pretty interesting (and teeming with lots of Turkish -- and a few German -- picnickers on the weekends) and worth a visit. Plus there's a nice Guttmann Biergarten on the Dutzendteich (the small lake there). Still, I'd opt for Erlangen, Forchheim, or even some place like Buttenheim (with its great St Georgenbraeu...as well as the Levi Strauss Museum) before Nuernberg. Just my $0.02.
  12. BigAB

Wow - I didn't realize Levi Strauss lived/worked in Buttenheim!

Also, I didn't just mean the Nazi history in Nurenberg (although there is plenty) - are there any remnants of the German Renaissance worth checking out? Thanks for all the other suggestions for future trips too!
  13. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

While not necessarily a full day trip, hit up Forschungsbrauerei. It's suburban, but not really too far from Munich. Aying was mentioned - it's not that far from there and isn't really a full day trip either. Combine the two and maybe toss in one more stop and that makes a good trek for the day.

The castle (Neuschwanstein) was a total bust for me. It's not that old (1800's), it's only 1/2 finished, they have TWO random unrelated gift stores built into it, and there's a fair amount of it that is off limits. I found the trip out there to be expensive and a bit of a waste of a day. The highlight of the whole trip was getting some fresh Ludwig dunkels in town, and they're not really even one of my favorites. It looks cool from afar, but it's not really all that great up close. If you're interested in history, places like the Residenz and Nymphenburg blow it away and are much closer and cheaper.
  14. steveh

That was a lunch trip for me. Easy to get to on the S-Bahn and well worth the little effort to find the place from the Perlach station.

http://www.forschungsbrauerei.de/index.php/brauerei
  15. As said, Forshungs and Aying can be a good day trip.

We also went to Hofbrau Tegernsee, sat outside with views of the lake and the mountains, of which the tall ones in the distance had snow on them in early April. It was one hour from the Munich station via the BOB train. Make sure you get on the right car, as it spits at two different stops.
  16. TOMHONE

TOMHONE Aficionado (110) Illinois Jul 30, 2010

Myself I would PASS on that castle. IMHO a pure waste of time. Yeah it's an architectural masterpiece but they herd you like cattle on the tour and charge you in the process. Only a limited number of rooms are on the tour. It's like what's with that? Instead head on over to Salzburg to the Augustiner beer and drink some real beer. You will NOT regret it my friend. I even tried to buy a keg there. Wooden one at that. But I had to provide my passport and get charged a ton for deposit. It wasn't worth it.
  17. einhorn

einhorn Savant (345) California Nov 3, 2005

If you don't necessarily need a beer tour (please, don't throw rotten tomatoes), one of my favorite towns in Nördlingen. It has a beautiful wall that surrounds the entire city and it beats the crap outta Castleville.

If you want beer (yeah!), I can highly recommend a friend's place: Schussenrieder Brauerei in Bad Schussenreid with it's great Bierkrugmuseum.
  18. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

Another vote for Augustiner in Salzburg. Wonderful, wonderful place. Should be its own UNESCO world heritage site.
    dcsundevil2002 and steveh like this.
  19. patto1ro

Regensburg is another possibility. Pretty town, a good brewery tap (Kneitinger) and a lovely brewery beer garden by the Danube (Spital). And less than 2 hours by train from Munich.
  20. patto1ro

Buttenheim is pretty good. Two breweries, two brewery taps, two kellers. Just a shame about the walk from the station. I suppose it is at least downhill on the way back.
    UncleJimbo likes this.
  21. The walk wasn't too bad, even though it was a cold day when we were there. The walk back seemed much shorter.
  22. mjtierney2

A German friend of mine was just telling me tonight about how he had a great time in Regensburg. I have some reading to do!
  23. steveh

Stahlsturm ought to be chiming in any time now...
  24. Thanks for the feedback. I am now definitely going to Salzberg and will be at Augustiner.

Has anyone been to Hirschbrau in Sonthofen? Haven't seen much chat about this brewery.
  25. Been away in Jamaica.... But here's my 2 cents...

Aying - quiet village, but too quiet. Brewery tour is good, but eat/drink at liebhards, not the hotel... Lot cheaper and more comfy vibe.

Forschungs - nearby and an a-1 blonde bock. I always stop by.

Dachau - sobering, but a must.

Salzburg - lovely! Mirabell gardens, the hilltop fortress... Super! Augustiner is top-shelf! Make sure you do self-serve, as waiter service is costlier.

Berchtesgaden has Great hiking, but is more worthy of 4-5 days itself... The hofbrau there is very nice! Decent history at obersalzberg, though they try to hide a lot of it ( tear it down and bury it).

Nurnberg - try the altstadthof bier, and the bier-bar Huttn is real nice. You can get brochures of the Nazi history from the tourist office. They don,t hide it at all. Amazing that the city was reduced to rubble and the citizens rebuilt it stone by stone.

I have been to Neuschwanstein (inside) 2-3 times. Cool, but.... Better to get there early and hike around the nearby mountains. Great hiking there, too...

Regensburg is a lovely city, too. BA stahlsturm lives there... He will vouch for it, I'm sure.

A town not mentioned is abensburg. There are 2-3 brewpubs there, and it can be reached easily by train...

Altomunster, to the NW on the s-Bahn, has a Couplet brewpubs. Plus, Freising has the weihenstephan brewery and restaurant, plus a great bar called Schneiders.... Another brewpubs or 2 there as well...

All for now... Have a great time!

Prosit!!!
  26. Thanks for all the recommendations. Salzberg was excellent and Augustiner there was a must see beer destination. Kloster Andechs was also great, but a notch below my Salzburg experience. Other than that I found plenty to drink in Munich. Prost!
    mjtierney2 and Bierman9 like this.
  27. SammyJ

SammyJ Zealot (90) North Carolina Mar 14, 2013

Any standout spots within Munich that bear mentioning? I'll be there for 3 months :)
    mjtierney2 likes this.
  28. mjtierney2

I can only give you some tourie recommendations, but I went to Der Pschorr by the Viktualienmarkt and thought it was excellent. By beer reputation alone (i.e., I have not been but would love to go one day) I would recommend the Schneider-Weisse, Andechs, and Ayinger spots. I'm sure others will chime in with their favorites.
  29. Wherever they have Bayrischer Anstich, or beer served by gravity from the wooden barrel. Der Pschorr (while quite expensive and fairly touristy) is really good (good food, too); Ayingers Speis und Trank; and, my personal favorite, Augustinerkeller. Hirschgarten used to be a good one, too, but there have been some horror stories coming out of that place recently (short pours and belligerent staff).
  30. SammyJ and steveh like this.
  31. patto1ro

Oh no! I can't stand those things. They remind me too much of cheese-filled Dutch grillworst.
  32. patto1ro

The only time I've been thrown out anywhere was by the paranoid, agressive lunatic that runs Hirschgarte. A really unpleasant experience. A shame, as the garden is beautiful and there's Bayerischer Anstich.
  33. boddhitree

boddhitree Advocate (610) Germany Apr 13, 2008

What about your guide that you've published?
    I like (bought)
    Bavaria! - Mini Book Series VOLUME XVI

&

Trips! (South)

I'd recommend them!
  34. SammyJ

SammyJ Zealot (90) North Carolina Mar 14, 2013

Thanks for the info guys, I've got a copy of the beer drinker's guide on order :)
  35. My faves are the Weisses Brauhaus, Augustiner Braustuben, and Forschungsbrau....

The Chinesischer Turm in the Englisher Garten is good, too...

Prosit!!
  36. patto1ro

Nürnberger Bratwurstglöckl next to the Frauenkirche is a great little pub. Augustiner Helles on Bayeischer Anstich and Nürnberger Bratwurst grilled on an open fire.
  37. einhorn

einhorn Savant (345) California Nov 3, 2005

In the downtown region, this is a great place where you will find many locals. Superlative Bratwurst.
  38. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Based upon memory, I believe the Nürnberger Bratwurstglöckl shares seating with Augustiner Am Dom and you can in turn get all of their beers and schnapps if you ask.
  39. I was in Munich for Octoberfest last year. Damn place was so overcrowded we spent 2 hours looking for beer to no avail. Had a great time partying in the area close to the festival. Not sure of what it is all called, took a train there from where I live and it was in walking distance from the hauptbahnhof.
  40. steveh

Sounds like Augustiner Keller to me! And a very good alternative to choose.