1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

De Dolle Still Nacht Reserva 2010

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by starrdogg, Dec 13, 2012.

1. This beer seems like it's somehow slipped under the radar. Bottles have been showing up in various part of the US over the past week. I believe I read that it was 4000 bottles total, not sure how many of those made it to the States. Apparently it's an attempt to re-create the 2000 version. Very excited to try this one!
    Quackus likes this.
  2. Does it come in a brick? With glasses?
  3. Any idea where in particular in the US this might be showing up? Would pretty much kill for a bottle.
  4. RDMII

RDMII Savant (285) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

Atlanta has it. Ale Yeah in Decatur specifically. Six bottles, so it's likely gone, but other places may have some.
  5. From first-hand knowledge, I only know one store in the whole DC area that got it. They got 6 bottles and they're long gone.
  6. Gobigvt7

Gobigvt7 Savant (300) Oregon Mar 15, 2008

Saraveza in Portland has some. Uber jelly.
  7. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (445) New York Jun 7, 2005

We dipped into a weird little vertical type tasting last night....

[​IMG]

I'm under the impression that the 2000 Reserva and the 2010 Reserva are ostensibly different beers. If I remember correctly (paging Dr. Jedwards), there was a recipe/yeast change made sometime in the late 90s. This would imply that the base beers would have been different since the 2000 would have been put into barrels sometime in 1998 (for 15 months) while the 2010 would have been put into barrels sometime in 2007/2008 (for 24 months). Unless they somehow re-cultivated the Rodenbach strain responsible for these older vintages (sure didn't get it from Palm)...hopefully Jonah can set me straight if I'm way off here.

TL;DR - The 2010 Reserva is incredible.

EDIT: These recently showed up in CT for varying costs (anywhere from $29-$39).
    beerFool28607, jedwards and HopsMatt like this.
  8. Whoa! Anysightings in Mass?
  9. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,025) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Good to know. I'll be back out in Portland in a couple of weeks and will definitely stop by Saraveza to pick up a bottle or two of this (if it's still there).

The 2005 reserva was one of the best beers I've ever had in my life, so I can't wait to try the 2010.
    WassailWilly likes this.
  10. Doesn't the year refer to the year the beer went into the barrels, not the year the beer came out? If the yeast change happened in the late 90s, it wouldn't matter because the SNR 2000 went into the barrels in 2000, not 1998.
  11. Knifestyles

Ah, that does make sense....figures my math would be wrong.

So how does this work as a recreation of the 2000?

EDIT: Seems like the yeast change happened in 1999...off by one year. Dang.
  12. iwantmorehops

iwantmorehops Savant (295) Vermont Sep 25, 2010

Man this is a confusing beer, been wanting to try it after seeing the recipie in Beer Captured. Still at a total loss as to what vintage I should be trying to trade for. Is this new batch a good version of what it used to be? What's it sell for?
  13. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Despite seeing (and buying, of course) various De Dolle beers in town, I have never seen a single bottle of Still Nacht, let alone the Reserva. :(
  14. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I will have to keep an eye out for this one, got to try some (non-2000) in belgium an they were delicious. The opportunity to buy it stateside would be terrific.
  15. wolfsblood

wolfsblood Zealot (90) Rhode Island Jan 24, 2008

Anyone know which store in CT has them?
  16. I don't know who does, but I know that the Wine Thief on Whitney, Amity in Hamden, and Total Wine in Norwalk do not. Looks like it's already been picked pretty darn thin.
  17. Angst

Angst Aficionado (185) California Nov 8, 2007

Anyone know if this is out in SoCal?
  18. Ok.. I scored a bottle locally. 45$... I could not help myself. Having tasted the glory of previous vintages I bit the bullet on this. 45$ does seem stupid ass expensive though. I think I paid 10 euro at the Kulminator for the 330 ML 2005 bottling a few years back. What are others paying for this? Did tender get gouged?
  19. Knifestyles

Sounds like it, but I think it's well worth the price tag.
  20. I don't know how his De Dolle Spidey Sense didn't alert him to this thread yet.
    jedwards and tendermorsel like this.
  21. No doubt. You don't have sell me on the potential succulence of this beer!
  22. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,025) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

That seems awfully high to me, but I confess I haven't purchased a bottle in some time now (last time I got a bottle was in 4/07). I think the bar price back then was in the $10 to $12, which at the time I thought was pretty high. Granted it's been more than 5 years since I last priced this beer, but... $45 for a bottle? Can the price really have gone up that much?
  23. $45 seems to be the going rate in MA.
  24. seen any places that still have some left? all the usual suspects in the Boston area seem to be gone already (no surprise there). very much ISO...
  25. codasnap52

codasnap52 Savant (295) Connecticut Jan 24, 2008

I scored a bottle from Harry's in Fairfield last week. I believe they are all out now. I emailed B United to find out if anyone nearby also got some in and was told Fairgrounds in Danbury might still have some left. If they are close enough by you give them a buzz. I was fortunate enough to try the 2000 Vintage in September, like that version, the 2010 is PHENOMINAL.

Edit...I paid $36 for it. Worth the price
  26. You should make friends with Tender.
    tendermorsel likes this.
  27. Acton Wine and Spirits had a case the other day that they hadnt even put out yet. When the beer manager said the price will approach $50 I said thanks but no thanks.
  28. Knifestyles

Fairgrounds was wiped out the weekend that they received it. They only got a case (6 bottles total). They had it listed for $29.99, apparently. Best price I've heard so far...
  29. I paid $44 for my bottle here in DC. Hopefully it's worth it. Word is that it's hitting VA this week.
  30. Friends with Tender only goes so far!
    jedwards likes this.
  31. And may or may not end with someone in a lambic coma.
  32. That last tasting at your house a few months back wrecked my digestive track for 5 days bro.... Worse than a coma.
    beerpirates and jsilva like this.
  33. Anyone know if this is avail anywhere in PA other than Shangy's (called them this morning and they were sold out)??
  34. Tender got Tenderized;)
  35. stakem

stakem Champion (835) Pennsylvania Feb 20, 2009

good luck. i called them last week and they knew nothing about it. decided to call again today as well since i saw philly BA's offering it up in trades. rumor mill says something crazy like 10 cases (6 bottles per case) in total came to the entire state
  36. thats a good amount considering MA only got 4 cases
  37. jedwards

jedwards Savant (330) California Feb 3, 2009

Hahah, it's been a busy week. The deal is that the 1999 Stille Nacht is the final vintage with the original Rodenbach yeast; the 2000 Stille Nacht was brewed with an attempted propagation after they supply was cut off which overattenuated the beer and resulted in exploding bottles. The nonexploded bottles were emptied into barrels and matured for 18 months, resulting in the best photo ever taken:

[​IMG]

Then released as SNR2000. The timing of the SNR2010 release doesn't quite work with the math of 25 months in-barrel, does it?

I should be trying it quite soon. I am very excited.

Knifestyles... how was the second bottle from the left in that photo? I'm opening one on Christmas Eve.

Oh, an as regards it being a recreation... in 2005 Peter Bouckaert (former Rodenbach brewer, now at New Belgium) went to De Dolle and helped Kris set up a propagator using some pre-Rodenbach-yeast-cutoff kegs, so what's been going on since then should approximate what was happening before 2000. The 2006 Stille Nacht and Oerbier are definitely maturing very well... but we've got a few years to go yet before we'll know if they have the magic of the pre-99 stuff. Lots more details/crap here: http://jonahedwards.com/beer/dolle
    cfrances33, ChrisPro, stakem and 4 others like this.
  38. trevorjk

trevorjk Savant (310) Netherlands Aug 28, 2009

'Hmm, now i will have to pick this up at work tomorrow. I had the extra export stout and the special reserva (which we still have bottles of) Pretty sure we HAD the Still Nacht. Guess i shall find out tomorrow. Would be a nice addition with the Big John that we should be getting tomorrow as well :)
  39. Knifestyles

Chaz likes this.
  40. It's $45.99.