1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

De Dolle Still Nacht Reserva

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by MrHolland10, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Just seeing what people are asking/receiving for this guy?

Thanks for the help.
  2. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

3. I'm an idiot. Could have done that myself.. Thanks bud
  4. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

Are people actually getting what they are asking for?
  5. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Savant (495) Missouri May 11, 2012

I was thinking the same thing. I could go buy a case right now if I really wanted
  6. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (680) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

gopickitupformebro?
  7. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

+1. Convo with what you want in return.
    claaark13 likes this.
  8. evilcatfish

I'm gonna stop by my bottle shop in the morning and see what I can do. Its like 37 bucks a pop for this bad boy
  9. evilcatfish

And the dudes that BM'd me will get first priority, no offense
  10. BAstoutsNsours

BAstoutsNsours Initiate (0) Florida Sep 21, 2012

I've heard there is a bunch of this, no idea on how much got to the US
  11. Something like 250 bottles or around that mark to the US.
  12. BAstoutsNsours

BAstoutsNsours Initiate (0) Florida Sep 21, 2012

See now someone else said ~500, where are these figures coming from or is it just word of mouth?
  13. Everywhere I have read said 360 bottles in the USA
  14. Hooligan is correct. Chris from de Dolle said 360 to US out of run of round 4000 bottles.
  15. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I should have a bottle for you this week.
    denimdemon and MordorMongo like this.
  16. MordorMongo

Oh, sweet! Got some things I need to bring you so just let me know! Merry Christmas Al!
  17. I saw some went up on Etre the other day.
  18. MordorMongo

Yeah was told about it and was traveling for holidays. Got to destination and logged on ASAP and was already gone. Sure disnt last long!
  19. DaSolomon

DaSolomon Initiate (0) New York Oct 12, 2011

Is the De Dolle Still Nacht Reserva that people are looking for the same as the De Dolle Still Nacht Special reserva?
  20. Don't think so, if you're refering to the 2005 one. This is a new 2010 batch that came out around the start of December. 4000 bottles at the brewery, 360 of those got sent to the USA. Most places got a single case of 6, so 60 locations x 6 bottles each approx.
  21. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

Anyone know the price at the brewery?
  22. AlexFields

AlexFields Savant (465) Tennessee Dec 13, 2009

My understanding is the 2010 is the same recipe as 2000 and the 2005 was a different recipe.
  23. 12, 12.5, or 13 Euro, it's one of those but I've gotten conflciting reports to which exactly.
  24. beerpirates

beerpirates Savant (425) Belgium May 4, 2010

I've been talking with Kris at de dolle and 360 bottles have been sended to the US !
  25. Correct, and no store in the U.S. that I know of got more than a case of 6 bottles (there may have been some exceptions, but I haven't heard of any) so it was really thinly distributed. 60 stores x 6 bottles each = 360.
  26. beerpirates

beerpirates Savant (425) Belgium May 4, 2010

Yeah , and i know from the source that ALL bottles are sold out at de dolle ! :(
  27. JAXSON

JAXSON Savant (465) Pennsylvania Dec 15, 2005

Its basically the same beer, but each year (2000, 2005, 2010) should be distinct given how it is only made every five years, in small quantities, and uses different barrels/ time spent in barrels. Its basically stills nacht aged in Bordeaux barrels, so on its face not too dissimilar from the 2005. Though apparently Kris was trying to make a "clone" of the 2000 with this vintage, which I find exciting.
  28. Nightfall

Nightfall Aficionado (160) Greece Aug 16, 2006

There was also a 2008 version in 750ml bottles that was given to friends & Co , if I am not mistaken it was never available for purchase though.
  29. bauermj

bauermj Savant (475) Illinois May 4, 2009

People sure are in a hurry to trade this one away
    stxSS07, claaark13 and eyeenjoybeer like this.
  30. MordorMongo

FTFY
    libbey, stxSS07, Shagtastic and 5 others like this.
  31. kiki3drt292

kiki3drt292 Savant (350) California Jan 13, 2011

no definitely not. you see the same few people that originally made outrageous ISO's either keep bumping their threads or lowering their expectations. I'm sure one or two of the crazy offers got done though, they always do.
  32. AlexFields

Can you think of any example ever where a rare or anticipated beer was released and there weren't numerous threads offering it or looking for it right afterward? Is there anything unique about this one?

I'm obviously not in a hurry to trade this as I've passed on a number of solid offers as they weren't really the beers I was looking for. Some of them were bottles or combos of bottles that would probably trade for many of the things I've asked for on my threads. But I'm not looking to make any good deal or win a trade, I'm looking to trade my bottle for one of a particular few other bottles/combos that are similar in rarity and reputation/rating/pedigree. If nobody wants to trade any of those beers now, I don't have to do a trade now.
  33. MordorMongo

So you were trying to win, but when that didn't work out you decided to lower your expectations?

From your very own ISO just today :

"My first thread like this was obviously too ambitious. But after getting a lot of offers and talking to other folks about what trades they've done with this beer, here are some hopefully more reasonable options that are more in line with what seems to be getting done."

Seriously....c'mon man. You were trying to get a good deal and/or win. It didn't work, so NOW you have gotten back down to earth.
    Shilt likes this.
  34. AlexFields

There's a difference between not having a good idea what a beer will trade for and trying to trade it for more than what it should trade for. Didn't seem unreasonable to me to offer x2 or x3 snr 10, say you're willing to add (and the things I was willing to add would've been like Rare, b1 CR, etc), and then put some big beers on your ISO list to see what happens.

Some of the beers on my original ISO are the same stuff in listing in the new one--snr 10 for duck duck, for example, seemed reasonable to me before and still does.
  35. MordorMongo

I am not saying there was anything wrong with your original ISO, but to say you weren't trying to get a good deal is laughable....you WERE trying, so man up and own it. That is all I am saying....hell I don't care if everyone TRIES to win, but it drives me bat shit when people then later try and play the innocence card. Your very post admits you were TRYING to land some big beers, yet for some reason you are trying to say that is somehow different than TRYING to win?
    SubpoenaDeuces likes this.
  36. AlexFields

Sure, I was trying to get some big beers and hoping it would happen.

But no, I don't think that is the same thing as trying to "win." I've always understood winning a trade to mean getting the better end of a deal, or getting more for a beer than it can normally get on the trade market. That's not the same as just now knowing what you can or can't expect for something.
  37. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (635) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

The SNR'10 stuff has been getting a little out of control.

I'm one of maybe 10 USA members that I could list who actually care about De Dolle. If you don't want SNR'10 yourself and you don't think, "Wow, my trading partner would love to have this bottle!", leave it on the shelf for someone who wants to drink it. Stop buying up bottles that others in your distro-zone want to drink just to auction them off.

I assure you all, Kris didn't send these bottles to the USA because he wanted them to be auctioned off on the trading forums. He could have just as easily kept them in Belgium and they would've sold.
  38. AlexFields

I hear what you're saying. But a) I do want to drink the beer and I'm going to. My tasting buddy is way into de Dolle and really wanted this so now he's got two bottles that he didn't have to trade anything crazy for, and I'm really looking forward to them too. B) I had no idea if any of my regular tradin partners were looking for this or not when I found these bottles and if one of them were, I'd send it to them.

But ultimately, i mean, doesn't the "If you don't want to drink it yourself leave it for someone else" argument apply to pretty much literally any beer? Does any brewer make their beers with the intention of having them traded? Trading is a good way for beers to spread around to people who don't have the opportunity of buying them at the brewery or on shelf or wherever as long as all parties feel the deals are fair.
  39. claaark13

You've got it in the trading forums.

You can define "trading" however you'd like, but if you read my post, I used the word "auction".
    aasher likes this.
  40. claaark13

Also, this emphasizes my point in a real-life scenario. Your buddy didn't have to trade anything crazy for them. Neither did the people who were so happy that their store received bottles that they were able to buy and drink, which could have been him as well.