1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

De Molen Hel & Verdoemenis 666

Discussion in 'Beer Trading General / Help' started by amnesia85, Dec 28, 2012.

1. amnesia85

amnesia85 Member

Greetings,
    I recently got to try a sample from a bottle of this that my cousin had picked up while visiting Amsterdam a while back. I really enjoyed the sample and want to pursue getting some more. Just recently somebody posted an iso/ft but was only looking for other vintages/varients. I have read that the variants are lower bottle counts so I'm unsure of what to offer. I have plenty of HF, plus many more but I really don't know where to start.
    1. Can this be done domestically, or do I have to go international?
    2. Which variants are easier/harder to come by?
    3. What will it take?
    Thanks everybody, happy new year!
    Phil
  2. Jeffo

Jeffo Member

There are quite a few H&V variants. Here's a bit of info:

H&V Eiken: Older. 2008 I think, and in 33cl bottles. This is even very rare around here. I've never seen one.

H&V 666: Two batches, both brewery only. First batch was 2010 and came in 75cl and 18cl bottles. Both are pretty much gone. I traded some 75cl for easy stuff when it was just released, but the last 18cl I sent out was for a 2008 Darkness. The newer batch was 2012 and were in 33cl bottles. I would say the first batch was superior, though I wouldn't throw the second out of bed.

H&V Misto BA: Came out in 2010 in 18cl bottles. Relatively high numbers were released and it could be bought in Amsterdam for a while as well. I put a bunch into boxes when they came out for things like KBS and the like. Haven't traded one in a while.

H&V Bordeaux BA: 2010 release, brewery only. Everything in 18cl bottles. Gave a few to regulars when they were released, but the demand isn't very high for this one.

H&V Wild Trukey: Two batches, both 18cl and brewery only. First batch might have been for a festival or something. Anyways, the first bottling was only 96 bottles a few years back, which is impossible at this point. The newer batch was 2011 and sold out quickly. The brewery is still hoarding a few bottles in their stash. The last one I traded was for a CBS I think.

H&V MacAllan BA: Very small release at the 2011 Borefts festival. Everything in 33cl bottles. I sent out a few to regulars, but have never seen or heard of one being traded. It's my favorite of the variants as well.

H&V Bunnahabhain BA: Most recent release at the 2012 Borefts festival. Everything in 33cl bottles and there was enough quantity bottled. There were a few sold in Amsterdam as well I think. I have sent out a few to regulars as part of boxes.

Black Damnation 666: This uses 50% H&V 666 as part of the blend, so it half counts as a H&V variant. Small release at the 2010 Borefts festival. I sent a few out to friends when it was released, and have recently gifted one out, but the last one I *traded* was for the first bottling of Black Note I think. If it wasn't Black Note specifically, then it was at least a box that included Black Note. I don't really remember what was for what, per se.

I have no idea what would be necessary to get this stuff domestically, but some of the newer stuff, like Bunnahabhain and the newest batch of 666, can probably be had for KBS, BCBS, HT, etc., if you're willing to go overseas and deal with a new guy here. The older stuff, like b.1 666, WT, MacAllan, BD666, etc., will take significant stuff as you'd be dealing with more experienced traders. I know very few people who have this stuff and are willing to trade it, let alone for the latest flavor of the month.

Hope this info was helpful.

Cheers and good luck!
    Jeff
  3. Dennoman

Dennoman Member

Wow. Go Jeff :D

Yes, H&V 666 is amazing stuff, possibly the best Dutch beer I've had and definitely in my personal top five imperial stouts. I'd go as far as to say top three because of how available it is. Released in 18, 33 and 75 cl bottles I think, although I've only ever ran into the 33 cl. I do believe this was continuously produced since 2010 since I've spotted regular new batches making its way to Hopduvel, webshops and other places.

The other variants, as Jeff states, are horrendously difficult to get hold of. Eiken H&V is supposedly the same beer as H&V 666 (both aged on wood chips soaked in 40 yr old cognac, possibly a different cognac though), but from what I understand it was retired in 2008 or 2009. It only occasionally pops up on tap in some places, like De Wildeman in Amsterdam. Bottles of it are going to take some serious ammunition. Most of the others were done either in 33 cl or 18 cl nip bottles, but they're all but impossible to get now.

I managed to get a few bottles of 666 and Bunnahabhain, but that's pretty much it. As much as I love the beer and would love to get a full collection, I don't like to overtrade for what is basically a good tasting glass of beer (at least the nip bottles).

But yes, remember, there are always traders out there, but as Jeff has made clear it can take some serious ammo. Big bottle of CBS for a nip bottle of some ridiculously rare H&V variant... yeah :p
  4. Jeffo

Jeffo Member

The 33cl bottles of H&V666 you saw were from the second batch, which were all 33cl bottles. It was a bigger batch and it did make some cameo appearances on a few webshops over time. There's only been two batches, however. Crossing my fingers for a third... :)

First batch was 75cl and 18cl nips.
  5. Dennoman

Dennoman Member

Err, I think there's just been a third then. Check the Molen webshop.
  6. amnesia85

amnesia85 Member

Indeed bottles of 666 are available currently on the webshop available for delivery to a few countries, but not the USA. If there is any chance one of you guys wants to help me out please let me know through private message, I'd love to negotiate a trade if possible.
  7. Jeffo

Jeffo Member

Weird. Looks like quanitity is too low to be a third batch. I'd almost bet that "some boxes were found," but these guys work in mysterious ways. I'll ask...

If you're looking for the 666 batch that is currently available, you will probably be able to find a newer trader to help out Phil. Especially if you have any GI to offer, as people around here are quite fond of the Bourbon County series. The regular BCBS should be easy enough get in the USA. Otherwise, stuff of a comparable nature should suffice.

Cheers,
    Jeff
  8. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Member

This thread just made my day. I didn't realize the online shop was open. And they ship to France. So much for waiting til next year to buy more beer.
    amnesia85 likes this.
  9. tbadiuk

tbadiuk Member

Wow! I recently found a couple of bottles of 666 (33cl) for $12/each and picked them up as I thought they'd be great to open next Halloween! Even more glad that I got them now...! :cool:
  10. Dennoman

Dennoman Member

Nope, it was bottled this month, as PP has confirmed by now :)
  11. Jeffo

Jeffo Member

Correct. As I told you in our BM convo ;)