1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

De Struise

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by dday5150, Jul 4, 2012.

1. dday5150

dday5150 Disciple (55) Pennsylvania Apr 21, 2011

Anyone have any tips for visiting De Struise? My friends and I will be visiting Westvleteren/In De Vrede and would like to stop by De Struise as well. Many people here have mentioned about how awesome the experience is there. Do they have visiting/tour hours? Are certain days better than others? Their site is a little confusing and when I emailed them, it sounded like they don't really respond to email from the automated response I got.
  2. The first tip is book a hotel!!!! het oude schooltje in Oostvleteren is only open on Saterday from 14.00 - 18.00 !!!
    azorie and allouez86 like this.
  3. We just popped in to say hi yesterday. Urbain took his time to talk to us and have a beer.

It's only a 10 minute drive from In de Vrede. Nothing lost if nobody is there.
  4. And if they are closed you can drink the beers at the pub close to the windmill! Nice entourage!

Thijs
  5. Anyone know what is going on with there web shop? its been down for months...
  6. I am afraid it will be closed for many more months and i doubt if they will open the shop someday....
  7. trevorjk

trevorjk Savant (310) Netherlands Aug 28, 2009

They are working on getting the website up and running first before they move on to a webshop. So it will probably be a while before the webshop is back up and running
  8. Cool thanks for the response guys. Love Struise beer. Wish I had better access to it guess I'll just hold out hope they get it fixed sometime soon.
  9. trevorjk

Food for thought, De Struise just upped there production equipment by a large quantity. So the regulars (pannepot, Black Albert, and others) Will see better distribution now ;)

"More communicates By additional investment and expansion results, we can now brew more beer a week, more precisely up to 12000.00 liters. Maybe still mopping with the tap open, but more Struise beers will be seen and available here and there.."
    SStein and Brabander like this.
  10. Me happy, very happy!
  11. That's great to hear we haven't seen any new struise beers where I am in a LONG time..
  12. Albin

Albin Disciple (65) Sweden Aug 18, 2013

Do they have a bottle shop? Is the opening hours the same?
  13. trevorjk

The brewery in Oostvleteren is only open at noon on Saturdays. Their official bottle shop outside of the brewery it self is in Brugge. I believe that is also only open on Saturdays.
  14. belvedere86

belvedere86 Savant (455) Belgium Apr 1, 2013

the bottleshop in Bruges is open every day except Monday and Sunday I believe.
    Albin and trevorjk like this.
  15. Yes! THE website is on THE web again!!
  16. beerpirates

beerpirates Savant (425) Belgium May 4, 2010

Just received an email from Urbain saying

" Gentlemen,
    In the coming week Struise will launch and fine-tune its new web
    shop. Peter Braem, Struise brewer n° 4, alias "Dart Onion", will continue to
    be your store host in the future and will help you out with all details
    concerning Struise beers. We are still in our testing phase. Today we
    installed the official shipment cost structure for 246 countries. According
    to our tests, everything seems to be working pretty well, but we would
    appreciate it if you could send us some feedback from your side. Layout
    comments and others may be formulated too, so we can update our shop to
    perfection.
    Thank you for all feedback
    cheers, Urbain Coutteau, Brewmaster @ Struise "
  17. belvedere86

If you want to pay 2x the amount they ask at local shops the webshop is a great thing :). Some beers (like struise witte) are a bit harder to find so that's maybe the only reason why I would order at this webshop.
  18. gory4d

gory4d Savant (475) New York Apr 14, 2007

I just stumbled upon the new site today. Glad to see them back up and running, but shipping costs seem a lot higher than in the past. Oh well.
  19. Excellent to hear. Black Albert was the first beer I ever had from Belgium, and remains my favourite beer in the world.

You can never have too much Black Albert.

Black Albert.
  20. yinzer

yinzer Savant (385) Pennsylvania Nov 24, 2006

Do they not brew at Brouwerij Deca anymore?
  21. They still brew the top four beers at Deca. Jeroen, Urbains son in law is the brewer there.
  22. Ragnampiza

Ragnampiza Aficionado (115) Italy Jul 28, 2011

I was going to open a specific new thread but this one seems already appropriate...

Does someone know if Black Albert, Black Damnation II and Black Damnation IV are from the regular De Struise line up and still available in Belgium ? What are they supposed to cost ?

I was surprised to find some 330 ml bottle of those 3 beers, and since all 3 are quite pricey, I was wondering if it's better to buy as many as possible if they are limited...

Thanks!
  23. beerpirates

beerpirates Savant (425) Belgium May 4, 2010

They just came out since a few day with these " limited " bottles
    Labels are printed on the bottles , very nice !

Black Damnation 1 Black Berry Albert 75cl
    Black Damnation 2 Mocha Bomb 75cl
    Black Damnation 3 Black Mess 75cl
    Black Damnation 4 Coffee Club 75cl
    Black Damnation 12 Nuptiale A2 75cl
    Ragnampiza likes this.
  24. Ragnampiza

Ragnampiza Aficionado (115) Italy Jul 28, 2011

I've actually seen those new printscreen 750 ml bottles on Etre Gourmet, but I was refering to the small 330 ml, bottles with the normal label, maybe they are from the first batch ?

Now I'm seeing the Black Albert "Batch 0" on Etre Gourmet as well, with a pretty normal price, so I guess it should be part of the regular line up, and not really worth to buy multiples bottles of it, considering each bottle available to me is 2 EUR more expensive.

Do you remember the original price for Black Damnation II and Black Damnation IV in 330 ml bottles ? Were they limited over there ?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
  25. trevorjk

the 330ml bottles are the original run of the bottles. From my understanding, the 750's are a new batch.

The Black Albert "Batch 0" is just regular Black Albert.
  26. VladTepes

VladTepes Aficionado (160) Finland Oct 18, 2012

Why those 750ml bottles are so expensive compare to 330ml bottles?
    doopiedoopiedoo likes this.
  27. Now that is a very VERY Very good question.
  28. 16 euro the bottle by the brewery, bottle more expensive maybe?? That's why i buy only the I and the XII version of it. These never have small bottles. The 35 eur on the website it's crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  29. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (485) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

They upped their prices. Nothing more to it really. Don't hate the player, hate the game. Blessed be the re-selling cretins that charge €15 a bottle on eBay.
  30. The market is bearing it. Schoolhouse had nada (Damnation-wise) left as of Saturday; people who asked were told to try the shop in Bruges.
  31. VladTepes

VladTepes Aficionado (160) Finland Oct 18, 2012

Well, there is new batch of Bourbon BA XXX Tripel or Rio Reserva in 330 ml bottles, those are quite cheap. Older batches were 750 ml bottles and those bottles were damn expensive.
  32. belvedere86

Bourbon BA XXX Tripel is disgusting. or maybe i had a bad bottle....