1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dealing with Quality Issues

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by GoodBeerFan2006, Jan 13, 2013.

1. I just bought a 12 pack of Saranc White IPA. I got it home only to see that the bottle date was July 2, 2012. The beer tasted okay, but nowhere near what I am used to tasting (the hops were shot). I emailed the grocery store's customer service expressing my dissatisfaction with the fact that almost 7 month old beer is sitting on their shelves. I haven' t heard back from customer service, but want to know how would you handle the same situation? For all the haters of Saranac White IPA, suppose it was something you liked that you realized was way out of date.

2. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Advocate (615) Ohio Mar 29, 2008

I think you have bigger quality issues if you are purchasing Saranac brews.

3. I check the dates then double check them again when shopping for beer , where I am located it is either super fresh or old , I just dont take any chances because no one here stores their beer correctly

4. Right. Ordinarily, I would agree, but this particular brew from Saranac, at least in the past has been decent. I was going for something that was of decent quality at a good price ($11.99). There was no way to check the freshness date until I got it home and cracked the case. Anyhow, if it wasn't Saranac, but something that you regularly purchase, how would you have handled the situation?

5. Always, always, ALWAYS check dates before buying, especially if it's a hoppy beer that you're buying to taste/experience the hops. Higher abv beers or stouts, porters, scotch ales; I don't normally worry about the age as much, but I still look for a date. Sometimes, if I can't find a date and it's something I haven't had before I won't buy it and will research the beer and brewer some more.

6. Wingfan13

Wingfan13 Aficionado (180) Texas Aug 10, 2009

Who at a grocery store is going to know that they should go check all IPA bottle dates ? Unless you are a BA, the average person has no idea that certain beers are meant to be consumed fresh.

7. If Saranac is not dating their cases (bottles only) then that's a problem. I would suggest asking the retailer about the age before buying next time.

8. bman_85

bman_85 Savant (305) Wisconsin Sep 10, 2012

Had this happen before. Noticed date when I got home. Just took it back and exchanged it for something else. I did contact brewery (bells) before hand just so I could tell the store what the brewery said if they had a problem with it. Checked dates in store from then on.

9. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Advocate (615) Ohio Mar 29, 2008

Honestly, I probably wouldn't have done much. I would have written a review reflective of the quality of the beer I was drinking without any correction for the age since I believe any beer that is recently purchased should be treated as fresh unless the brewer explicitly states otherwise on the outer packaging. I then would proceed to not giving a shit because all of us know that this situation occurs from time to time and its a risk we all take. However, if this kept happening (maybe 2 other times within the year), I would boycott the brewery and send an email to the brewery stating that while I enjoy their products as they are intended, I no longer wish to be subject to their risks when I purchase beer.

10. I wouldn't call that a "quality" issue necessarily - if you buy beer that is beyond its shelf life, it's your mistake. Should the distributor (who is responsible for beer freshness at the retailer) have been on top of it? Yeah. Should Saranac clearly date all their 12 packs (they claim they do in their FAQ- "Saranac bottles and case cartons utilize what is called the Julian date coding system" )? Yeah.

But when those two things didn't happen, you should have passed and bought something else.

I routinely pop a flap and pull out a bottle if the code is missing/illegible on a case or 12 pack. No one's ever said anything to me and if they did I'd say I'm looking for a date code because I'm not buying stale beer.

At this point, email Matt [email protected] , tell the retailer in person with your receipt and 11-pack and try to get a refund and/or, if known, call or email your local Saranac distributor to complain as well. (All 3 have worked for me in the past).

drtth and LeRose like this.