1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dear Miller Brewing Company,

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Lifeofbrian, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Dear Miller Brewing Company,

It is time to bring the Miller High Life back to premium or super premium status. This is has always been your best beer I know back in the 80's Miller Lite and MGD became your darlings but you were wrong Miller High Life should never have been neglected. Please as a liquor store owner focus on bringing the champagne of beers back to super premium status. It will take time but imo it is worth it.

Sincerely,

Lifeofbrian

P.S. If you have any questions please contact JJ Taylor and I will be more than happy to answer any questions.

BigCheese, pmarlowe and fmccormi like this.
  2. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

This use to be the my dad always drank and he wouldn't try anything else. I never cared for it to be honest

3. not sure if serious?

yemenmocha likes this.
  4. As someone who works in marketing, unless the sales of the cash cows that are Miller Lite and MGD were to take a huge nose dive, Miller couldn't care about High Life brand.

5. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (340) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

Didn't they already try?
    [​IMG]

6. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Champagne of beers? So you want more bubbles?

gtermi and 2beerdogs like this.
  7. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

High Life >>>MGD. (Seriously, what's the point of MGD? And why is it in a clear bottle?) Miller Lite, while I don't care for it, probably does bring in a lot of money for them. I know a lot of people around here drink it.

8. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

The Champagne Shampoo of Beers

9. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

IMHO, I actually thought Miller Lite was more tolerable. I know that's not exactly a ringing endorsement, but...

10. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

IMO Miller Lite is better than High Life.

11. Haven't drank a Miller in a long time but High Life is one beer I remember making me cringe with each sip. Miller Lite is much more tolerable if you're just looking to get drunk and thats really their only purpose.

12. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

I like the can Miller High Life came in. Real nice design and classy lettering. The slugs in my garden always enjoyed the contents better than Lite, too.

hardy008 and Stahlsturm like this.
  13. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Yeah, sickeningly sweet corn flavored water is slightly not as terrible as bland, hint-of-corn flavored water

14. Miller High Life was never a "super premium" - it was, when it was Miller's flagship in the '70's and early 80's, squarely in the "premium" price segment (i.e., at or near Budweiser & Schlitz prices) in most markets.

I does appear that it particularly difficult to move a brand UP the price segment ladder - once a beer becomes known as a "cheap" beer (in the old "popular" or "price/economy" segments) returning to a premium price has not been too successful. Examples abound in the Pabst portfolio, many of which were priced higher when they were Schlitz, Falstaff, Stroh and Heileman brands. The few times Pabst has attempted an "upscale" make-over, it does seem that consumers resisted and the move ultimately failed (i.e, Schlitz Gusto, Heileman Old Style [after returning to krausening], Primo, etc.)

Miller High Life (as a "sub-premium" in most markets) currently outsells Genuine Draft by a large amount, 4.7m bbl/yr with a 2.2% market share (2011) versus MGD's 1.6m bbl/yr and 0.8% share. Also, note that MGD's sales have been going down at much greater rate 14-18% than HL's 4-7%. (Beer Marketing Insights figures).

Of course, (and I'm reluctant to bring it up since some BA's always get upset at the idea) MHL and MGD are the same base beer, the primary difference being the former's pasteurized and the latter is micro-filtered/sterile-filled ("Cold Filtered" in Miller's trademarked terminology) - easily seen when looking at the MC Nutrition Page (click "Domestic") and the two beers have the exact same stats. The original MGD was even labeled Miller High Life Genuine Draft in it's earliest incarnation in the mid-1980's. It's a classic example that the cost of ingredients and brewing procedures has little to do with the shelf price of beer.

[​IMG]

litheum94, Duff27, Gosox8787 and 4 others like this.
  15. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I think Miller's slogan should be "Because everybody's piss tastes a little bit different"

hardy008, DonDirkA and Slatetank like this.
  16. How large of a brewery was Miller when Phillp Morris took it over in the late 60's ? Was it in the top 10?

17. It was #7 in 1970 (behind AB, Schlitz, Pabst, Coors, Schaefer and Falstaff, respectively) having just passed Carling that year. They had a market share of 4.1% (compare with AB's 17.7%). Miller had been creeping up since the early '60's (#10 in 1960), although they were higher up in the '50's, when both Pabst and Blatz stumbled (and eventually merged - temporarily). Miller was the last of the Milwaukee Big 3 to brew outside the city - which didn't happen until the mid-60's when they bought Lucky's Azura, CA brewery and Carling's Ft. Worth's plant (the latter still open).

IIRC, the last major Miller heir sold out in the 1960's (she was anti-alcohol!) and Philip Morris got it's foothold into the company by buying out W. R. Grace's majority share and then bought the remainder of the company by 1970. Last I looked, Philip Morris still owns a big portion of SABMiller (about a 1/3?) as a result of the sale to SAB.

18. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I actually don't mind High Life. But the only time I ever drank it was when Walmart had twelve packs for $5.

19. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (480) California Nov 10, 2006

MGD was my beer of choice over 30 years ago. Those were good times waking up drunk on the beach. I should crack one for old time's sake. Or, maybe not...

20. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

I was gonna bring it up if you didnt. I thought it was semi-common knowledge. People here get upset at that?

21. What is the difference between High Life and MGD?

22. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

Jut FYI, drinking Miller High Life and admitting to drinking it are two entirely things.

23. So let me get this straight. We're talking about a beer that is already available everywhere, and the problem is that it's priced too low? The problem is that people need corporate marketing to make them feel better about themselves for drinking it?

I will never understand macro drinkers.

psuKinger and 5thOhio like this.
  24. rlcoffey

Look at jesskidden's post a few above yours.

25. Interesting, I had no idea. Why do people get upset when this is pointed out?

26. Well, yeah, but the catch in that statement is the word "knowledge". Much of what goes on here on the forums is based on "opinion" only.

Yeah, apparently because they read "the same base beer" as saying that they taste exactly the same and all those folks who are pro-MGD/anti-MHL and those iin the opposite camp get very indignant at what they take as a suggestion that they've been duped. In theory*, Miller goes through the trouble of pasteurizing one and "Cold Filtering®" the other because THEY think there's a difference in taste (or maybe it's just that they think they've convinced beer drinkers they can taste the difference?).

*Luckily, I can remain out of such arguments. My last High Life came around 35 years ago (I remember only 'cause I recall who I was dating and where we were) in the pre-MGD era and the only MGD I've ever had were freebies at a friend's family bar where it is on tap. (My first impression upon seeing the tap handle- "Really? Miller Genuine Draft --- on tap? Isn't that redundant?") So that beer is neither pasteurized or Cold-Filtered in the manner of the bottled/canned stuff.​

albertq17 likes this.
  27. rlcoffey

Its been over a decade since I had either and I remember thinking they tasted different and one was less bad than the other. But I dont remember which.

Its not like I did a triangle test with them though, so who knows if I could distinguish or not?

28. If they want to change the image and price structure, they should put it in brown bottles and use their marketing campaigns on the labels like: "New Miller High Life now triple-hopped and in vortex bottles" with the emphasis on "new". At least they would get curiosity purchases.

29. I forgot about MGD also having the High Life name on it.

30. OP, what do you mean specifically by "premium" and "super premium"?

31. It is beer industry speak for the category the beer is in.

32. Yeah I've heard it used. Such as "premium" beer at Fenway park = heineken.

I just still don't understand what the industry's exact perception/definition of "premium" is. Quality? Cost? Brand Image? Mix of all 3?

33. To expand on "Lifeofbrian's" reply, they are industry terms for beer categories based on the general retail price segment in which a brand is marketed, rather than an implication of quality - as might be suggested by words like premium and super premium.

Other domestic segments include "price/economy" and "popular priced" (altho', with the disappearance of many pre-craft local and regional breweries, those two categories have more or less been merged into a "less than premium" segment). Taking Anhueser-Busch's classic core line-up, they's normally be categorized as:

Michelob - Super Premium
    Budweiser, Bud Light - Premium
    Busch - Popular
    Natural Light - Economy

The categories are somewhat loose, and beers might be marketed in one category in one region, and in another elsewhere. With the coming of craft beer and the larger and more varied (types and pricing) import market, the segments aren't as defined or clear cut. Sometimes you'll now see a newer "Above Premium" segment referred to, or a "Specialty" beer segment and then add a price qualifier - i.e., a malt liquor might be a "Specialty" beer sold in the "Premium" price range.

albertq17 likes this.
  34. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (570) California Oct 29, 2008

I thought you were trying to say that it was a different recipe or something. Are you requesting that MC charge for for MHL? If so...never mind, I do not have a follow up question.

35. Other domestic segments include "price/economy" and "popular priced"

In undergrad economics, popular priced meant the price was popular with the management or manufacturer. lol

36. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

Isn't Infinium the champange of beers now?

psuKinger, Errto and DonDirkA like this.
  37. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

All I really know about BMC beers is that back in the day when I was 19-20 and we drank Bud Light by the gallon we used to make the choice like this "Ok, they have "BRAND" and "BRAND" Light at this store. Which do we want?" "Well, so its either piss or watered down piss? That's easy"

Then we discovered that beer could taste good.

38. Pabst had a long running ad campaign when they moved Pabst Blue Ribbon from the premium to popular price segment, so it was a well-enough known term at the time (1960's) that they used it aimed at the beer drinking public at large.

[​IMG]

In NJ (where both had breweries in Newark at the time) Budweiser sold for $1.25 (sixpack of 12 oz. cans) and popular-priced PBR was $1.15. (NJ ABC Price List 1964)

"Hmmm... what should I buy with this dime I just saved?"

39. Thanks, was Philip Morris a larger company than Anheuser-Busch back then?

40. Hmmm... good question. Looks like they were pretty close together on the Fortune 500 in 1970 - #145 - Philip Morris (listed under Altria, it's name today), #169 - Anheuser-Busch.

IIRC there was some talk of R. J. Reynolds buying Schlitz a few years later - supposedly with the banning of cigarette ads on TV, Big Tobacco had a lot of marketing geniuses sitting around doing nothing.

Heck, PM even toyed with a sort of "line extension" that jumped from butts to beer...

[​IMG]