1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dear Mr. Smuttynose and Finest Kind,

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by geneseohawk, Jan 12, 2013.

1. geneseohawk

geneseohawk Savant (360) Illinois Nov 4, 2008

Your ipa is absolutely wonderful. You may be the best budget ipa that I have been introduced to in the last 2 weeks. Your complex and not one dimensional. You have layers of different hop flavors and malt that make you an enjoyable drinking experience. I love all kinds of ipa's from heavy citrus to heavy pine but you my friend have depth of all and a unique malt profile I have not had in a long time. I can see why the Bro's have rated you a 100. What a wonderful day where I can drink you and your crazy off cousin Mr. Zombie Dust in the same day.
  2. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Savant (340) Connecticut Oct 21, 2009

Last two weeks? Is that really that big a compliment.....or do u drinknew beers at an exceptional rate?! In all seriousness though, yes this is a great ipa for $10 a sixer!!!!
  3. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Champion (950) Maine Sep 17, 2005

Yeah, I don't know what to make of the last two weeks remark. It is a very enjoyable IPA.
  4. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

yuuup
    hardy008 likes this.
  5. The brothers rated it 100 in 2004. I wonder what they would rate it now, if trying it for the first time.
  6. geneseohawk

I've tried a lot of new ipa's in the past two weeks and this and by far was the best....
    seplo likes this.
  7. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Savant (340) Connecticut Oct 21, 2009

You work fast sir!!
  8. geneseohawk

Lots of stores with mix and match around here...... spoiled.
  9. Torpedo is the best budget IPA,IMO
  10. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (480) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

Even better when it's $10/12-pack in NH.
  11. jamvt

jamvt Savant (490) Massachusetts Aug 5, 2005

It's even better at market basket for $11.99 12pks
  12. Can't beat hop devil for $9/sixer.
    jglowe77 and klaybie like this.
  13. I rate it 100 every day of the week and get it for $140 for 15.5 gallons up here in Nottingham, NH.
    smutty33 likes this.
  14. EnronCFO

Wait, what? Your argument is that it's better when it's $2 more per 12-pack?
  15. EnronCFO

Probably the funniest post I've ever read on here. I've yet to have Earth Eagle, but I know that the brewer isn't a hophead, so I can't imagine his IPA is all that good. And Throwback's IPA is an embarrassing malt bomb of an amber ale masquerading as an IPA, and much more expensive than Smuttynose.
  16. Widmer...meh
  17. RoninTK3

RoninTK3 Savant (290) New Hampshire Nov 12, 2012

Nothing from Throwback has thrilled me, which is a shame, since it's always nice to see another brewery in the area. I love Smuttynose.
  18. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Bought this beer 5 times and three of the 12ers were infected/bad/whatever. Not sure why that is but I refuse to take that chance. Otherwise, I find it quite damn great
  19. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I passed by this beer for years due to the label, I mean how could something with such an awful label be good? Then I tried it....one of the top 20 IPAs I've ever had easily.
    FlakyBiscuit and jhartley like this.
  20. Finest Kind is one of the top 3 east coast IPAs IMO. Fantastic, especially uber fresh.
  21. Haven't had a good one in years.

Even when it was good, it was inconsistent.
  22. Throwback beers all lack body and flavor. They're not good, and they're way too expensive.
    Rochefort10nh likes this.
  23. John

John Advocate (715) New York Sep 17, 2001

When this beer is in good condition it's pretty good. I usually steer clear though since I often pick up diacetyl and that's off putting for me.
  24. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

AMEN !!!!!

Cheers
  25. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (525) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

And no tax!
    smutty33 likes this.
  26. I think it would be better if there were a way for me to buy some in MA less than two months after the bottling date. Seriously, Boston is 56 miles away it shouldn't take two months to go from packaging to shelf.
    kirkse and Horbar like this.
  27. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

You sure your distributor isn't sitting on super fresh finestkind in the warehouse,while waiting for the last shipment to run out?Never have an issue w/ getting finestkind no more than a month old,(often less than a month) @ the most, here in my parts.

Cheers
    seplo likes this.
  28. seplo

seplo Savant (445) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

Smuttynose IPA is my go to here in New Haven CT, one of my favorites,its usually fresh down here...CHEERS
  29. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

I find it to be incredibly average.
    MrOH, rjknyy, WeymouthMike and 3 others like this.
  30. theCoder

theCoder Savant (330) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

Smuttynose's Ry(e)an Ale blew my friggin mind. If I ever have another op to get a bottle I will jump on it.
  31. EnronCFO

Completely off topic, but agreed. To me, it's up there with Berkshire's bourbon barrel scotch ale as the best barrel aged beer I've ever had.
    theCoder likes this.

32. I'll take it further. This is my single favorite year-round beer on the market. FinestKind is the Finest Kind.
  33. I LOVE Old Brown Dog Ale. About to split a sixer of Finest Kind with a buddy for the first time. And...I like the label too. Being from New Hampshire...these guys could easily be my neighbors. I can hear them now complaining about politics and the recent influx of flatlanders.
  34. I really don't know (nor did I claim to know) where it is languishing, but I'm sure it hasn't been reaching the retailer in MA until two months after packaging. I love this beer, but I'm not going to drive to CT or NH to buy it fresh.
    Horbar likes this.
  35. The New England Gangsta at Earth Eagle is actually quite good, and their Shepherd's Crook wheat pale ale was awesome. Recently they brewed a pale ale with locally sourced hops and malt, and I didn't like that one as much as Shepherds Crook, but a fellow hophead liked it even more. You should check them out, they have been cranking out new quality offerings every week.
    straffordmilitia likes this.
  36. I love this beer under a month old. After that it is just ok and gets a little malty for my taste.
  37. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (575) California Aug 26, 2009

I've been whooping in up with Cy and Paul for a few years now. That label is actually one of the things that first got me interested in the beer. Two old guys sitting out in front of their trailer having a good time... it's real New Hampshire for damn sure.
    Maxwell, smutty33, BigCheese and 2 others like this.
  38. If you like a hop bomb then try their Big A IPA. Great 4-pack!
    mackeyse, smutty33, BigCheese and 2 others like this.
  39. Yuuup. That picture is as New England as a Nor'Easta
    smutty33 likes this.