1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dear Mr. Smuttynose and Finest Kind,

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by geneseohawk, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Yeah, I should reserve judgement on Earth Eagle as I have only heard mixed reviews on NE Gangsta. But I just can't get over the fact that he's brewing primarily gruit styles, and then mixing in an IPA.

I still call bullshit on Throwback's IPA being better than Smutty.

2. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

Everything I have had from Smuttynose has been average at best.

Horbar likes this.
  3. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

That's a pretty enormous qualification. Zing!

4. So did you join (or create another screenname) simply to post about Earth Eagle on this thread?

5. xanok

xanok Savant (405) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

LOL no.

mjryan likes this.
  6. What would you suggest then? Torpedo 12 packs are about $12-13, nothing close in my area that can hang with SN price/value.

raffels likes this.
  7. xanok

For starters, I think the beer that is the topic of this thread is far better.

8. xanok

smutty33, raffels and seplo like this.
  9. I wouldn't give it top 3 in New England, nevermind east coast. Lets eliminate Vt. And look at other east coast beers you still have Lunch, Flower power,meadowlark, gandhi bot, 5 c's ipa, wyerbacher, victory, troegs all make a beer ahead of finest kind.

No hate on Smuttynose their baltic and robust porters, smuttinator, fresh big a, imperial stout are all great beers.

Horbar likes this.
  10. seplo

seplo Savant (455) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

Flower Power i'll give you, but it should be readily avail. which means 5 C's is out and Meadowlark too.As for Wyerbacher, Victory and Troegs, they cant hold a candle to Smutty IPA, IMO...CHEERS
    Do love that you like the big beer series by Smuttynose

smutty33 likes this.
  11. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

This. I always grab a 12'er if I'm up in NH. Always in a Market Basket.

12. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Great beer. It's no Two Hearted (duh :D), but still.

13. M1A2

M1A2 Savant (435) Ohio Jan 15, 2012

Let me tell you about an IPA called White Rajah for $10 a six, after you have it we can talk again about SN Finest Kind.....

Cheers

14. raffels

raffels Savant (255) West Virginia Dec 12, 2009

15. xanok

Lunch-No. Overrated, overpriced, IMO.
    Flower Power-Yes.
    Meadowlark-never tried, never heard. Pretty Things is pretty awesome, so it's possible.
    Gandhi Bot-Double IPA, doesn't count. Their year-round single IPA, Sea Hag, is not as good.
    5 C's-You're lucky to ever see this beer, as it's brewed rarely and not distributed. Hardly a fair comparison.
    Weyerbacher anything-no.
    Victory anything-no.
    Troegs-They make a widely distributed single IPA? News to me. Perpetual IPA is a DIPA.

seplo, smutty33 and beerFool28607 like this.
  16. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Savant (305) New Hampshire Feb 19, 2012

I swear I've seen 6'ers of this for 7.99. That's an incredible steal for a good IPA.

It's far from the best example of the style, but if I'm low on funds and I really need an IPA, I would absolutely choose Finest Kind.

17. I love the label, its hilarious.

Best 6 pack IPA in New England easily, and I can always get it fresh. One beer that I keep going back to over and over.

I really wish it would replace harpoon ipa as the standard non sam adams offering at any bar/restaurant.

18. dennho

dennho Savant (335) Massachusetts Oct 29, 2006

I love the label!

19. FinestKind will always be a top IPA to me. I haven't had any problems with infection or inconsistency the many times I have had this beer. IMO it's just a great example of and East Coast IPA: Earthy, herbal, bitter and a nice amount of malt to round it out; it's not a citrus fruity IPA which I think a lot of people have an issue with.

20. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Sounds like you haven't tried Hop Stoopid yet if you're talking about awesome budget IPA's.

21. Best IPA for the price. Always available, always on shelves and you cant beat the taste. This is and will (probably) always be my go to IPA when I need my fix but dont wanna pay a bunch.

smutty33 likes this.
  22. dennho

dennho Savant (335) Massachusetts Oct 29, 2006

Yup...It's an old school IPA. (old school meaning 10 years ago, not 150!)
    It's one of the few beers I buy 12 packs of any more.

Easy to read date on the bottles and on the container.

23. Earth Eagle is making some nice IPA's. You need to check them out. In fact, they are making nice examples of all sorts of experimental ales and gruits. Throwback has an embarrassment of an IPA, no question. You really can't beat $10 12 packs of finestkind at Market Basket though.

24. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

I have never had it. If I see it in Hudson, WI sometime, I might try it. I will try almost anything once.

25. No DIPAs, just regular IPAs. Gandhi Bot is a DIPA. I'll give you Flower Power and that's probably it. Lunch? No. Good IPA, not better than fresh FK. 5c, Meadowlark? Never heard of them. Weyerbacher? Not even close with Last Chance IPA, Troegs no. I love Perpetual, but it's not as good as FK.

This is my top 3.

1. Flower Power
    2. Columbus IPA
    3. Finest Kind

Honorable mention: DFH 60 Minute. I still stinking love that beer.

26. I love me some Finest Kind, with that said it is the same price as Two Hearted in my area and I just happen to love me some Two Hearted a lot more, so I do not pick it up as often as I should, maybe I will go grab a sixer today!

27. One of my favorite IPA's for sure, and I love the label. I'd love to sit back and down a few with Cy and Paul.

beerFool28607 likes this.
  28. I had the Oatmeal stout on cask and enjoyed that a decent amount.

29. That is truly high praise and I would respectfully disagree. If travel time has got you down, try Blue Lobster. Their Gold Claw smells very similar to a Hill Farmstead. While not a true IPA, I would guess they share a very similar technique between the two. Their wheat IPA is also fantastic.

30. Isn't the head brewer at Blue Lobster a former Hill Farmstead brewer? Would make sense that they share some similarities.

31. You should probably just admit that your work there and this charade.

32. Gruits are a fun, novel idea.

33. Fresh finestkind is pretty solid, but it seems to be a bit inconsistent at times. Whats up with one sixer being really hazy and full of particles, and another batch being nearly crystal clear?

34. I like the label..
    when its glued on straight

35. Don't knock New England Gangsta' till you try it. Earth Eagle, while they are concentrating on the gruits, is also making a mighty fine IPA IMHO.

36. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Hang on, guys. Apparently we aren't allowed to have opinions around here. What xanok says, goes. Fuck personal taste.

Smuttynose is damn good but given the choice, I'd probably go with Torpedo most of the time also. Is that allowed?

SenorHops likes this.
  37. Morey

Morey Advocate (530) Pennsylvania Dec 30, 2007

This is a great IPA in every category other than appearance (just SO much sediment). It has lingering bitterness and flavor that too many of these newer fruity IPAs lack IMO.

38. xanok

Sure, but your personal taste sucks.

39. Agreed. Love Hill Farmstead IPAs, but after drinking Susan (which everyone loves), I just kept thinking that I would love the beer if it actually had some bitterness or finish. Just too fruity and delicate.

40. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

60 Minute IPA - 4.3
    Two Hearted Ale - 3.18

wat