1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dear Mr. Smuttynose and Finest Kind,

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by geneseohawk, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Finest Kind is a solid IPA. I think that the community has become so enamored with worldclass beers that some cant imagine drinking something that is merely "very good"
    YogiBeer and smutty33 like this.
  2. xanok

xanok Savant (405) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

So I feel 60 minute is about the same as what everyone else thinks about it. And I thought Two-Hearted was no better than Harpoon IPA.

You're allowed to tell me my personal taste sucks too ya know. It's all subjective.
  3. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

While I do love Smuttynose and think they're a generally underrated brewery, their Finest Kind is probably one of my least favorite beers from them. Big A is much better, and for sixers I turn to their Robust Porter, which is fantastic.
  4. Wow, I hope that growler of Red Ryder holds up in a week for you so you can do this experiment of yours. Please tell us of your results and how they will stack up against other great Breweries such as Throwback as well.
  5. Dave, who worked at HF. He's a BA, too. Good dude.
  6. How long have you worked for Earth Eagle?

:p
    seplo likes this.
  7. seplo

seplo Savant (455) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

Well looks like the next time i'm up in Portsmouth im gonna have to try this new brewery BUT to call it the NH beer scene is the craziest shit i ever heard since they dont have any grades yet and nobody has it on their wants.I hope for your sake youre right cuz if not BA's will tear that brewery apart on the forums...CHEERS
  8. Finest Kind was one of the first IPAs I ever had back in 2004. It was a delicious grapefruit bomb then, and still is when it's on target and fresh.

That being said, their Shoal's Pale Ale is excellent, and extremely underrated because it's not a hop bomb.
    smutty33 likes this.
  9. seplo

Seriously you gave ALL their beers 5's in your grades, even my favorite brewey i dont give them all 5's.
  10. OK, I'll join the shenanigans...
    This thread is about Smuttynose IPA. Smuttynose IPA is a great IPA and a great deal ($9.99 for a 12-pack in these parts, from time to time). I think it's very good and unique when fresh, but if you like a little maltiness it's not bad with some time on it. Like others have posted, I too have tasted some inconsistencies, but I would throw blame at storage (distributor and retailer) before blaming the brew crew. Smutty IPA and Big A are better on draft than in the bottle (just one man's opinion). While Smutty IPA was once one of the best IPAs in the country (according to various magazines), it's now top tier but no longer top shelf. Other breweries have emerged and taken the style to new places with new hop varietals. I think it's nice to see some praise in the forums for our local go-to beer.

As for the seacoast breweries nonsense, I'll offer this: will we even be talking about Earth Eagle, Throwback, and Blue Lobster in five years? Maybe, though it's likely one of the three won't survive, and for reasons beyond quality of product. Will we be talking about Smutty IPA five years from now? Absolutely.
    smutty33, geocool and seplo like this.
  11. Thank you.
  12. And he joined like 5 days ago. Yeah.
    seplo likes this.
  13. If Throwback is amazing but not world class why did you review all their beers as '5's? You seriously gave them 9 '5's.
    seplo likes this.
  14. seplo

I didnt even notice that man
  15. seplo

And his name is KateTheGreatest a nod to Portsmouth Brewery...I just dont get it...CHEERS ShogoKawada
  16. I called this from the beginning. Joined 5 minutes before posting that Earth Eagle was making the best IPAs in the world. Bunch of bullshit and he should be banned.
  17. Went to Earth Eagle today. No IPA available, tried the grange pale ale, the red rye beer, an english strong ale w. NZ hops, and walt n henry gruit. None were outstanding, all were undercarbonated. Rye beer was pretty weak, I liked the pale enough, but nothing worth seeking out. At Blue Claw now, the Stalkholm Syndrome is as close to a Hill Farmstead IPA as I've had outside of VT. Blue Claw kicked, but stalkholm is fantastic and worth seeking out. Just my objective view. Black Claw stout is also really good, roasty bordering on burnt, which I love!
  18. godlessape

godlessape Savant (300) Georgia Dec 12, 2010

Smuttynose is my favorite New England brew. Wish I could get it fresher down here in Atlanta. Every time I spot it it's out of date.
  19. BigGriff

BigGriff Disciple (70) Connecticut Nov 24, 2010

Love Finestkind. But for a dollar or two cheaper and you can get New England's Sea Hag IPA. The Hag is better imho...
  20. Alilley

Alilley Aficionado (110) Georgia Dec 23, 2010

Dear Mr. Smuttynose, everyone says you are bottled 6 months before your best by date. How could I have been drinking your IPA on 01/03/13 in Georgia with a best by 06/06/13? Please help me get your bottle dating. Btw your beer did not seem fresh and that is what caused me to question this issue.
  21. Thanks for the scoop. Glad to have a non-schill voice on the matter :)
  22. that was bottled on 12/6/12

December-1->jan-2->feb-3->mar-4->april-5->may-6->june
    smutty33 likes this.
  23. seplo

He's gotta be the owner,brewer or employee or is related to one of those.He's been drinking beer for a long time?probably BMC's....CHEERS
  24. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

I tried to explain this already to that guy in the "Born on Best before"thread,.............:rolleyes:

Cheers Man.
    seplo likes this.
  25. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Love me some FinestKind. However, the small batch 18 called Durty is just amazing. If you see this baby definitely treat yourself to some hoppy goodness. Glad I have another 2 growlers.
    seplo and smutty33 like this.