1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Decanting a bomber w/o sediment

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Sam21, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Sam21

Sam21 Savant (350) Connecticut Dec 14, 2009

Hi all,

I often use a 20oz nonic pint glass or mug when drinking a bomber. This leaves a few oz in the bottom of the bottle. My question arises more when I am enjoying a beer better served in a snifter or tulip and two pours makes much more sense. Does anyone on the forums have any experience with decanting the beer into a serving vessel to leave the sediment behind? I find that even with a gentle first pour the sediment is stirred up enough that it makes the second pour a "dustier" than I would like at times. I have no problem with the yeast in the bottle, but do not always enjoy the ugly presentation in the glass from all the floaties!

Thoughts? Anyone have experiences to share or maybe what you prefer to do?
  2. lookrider

lookrider Savant (390) Pennsylvania Apr 22, 2007

I think you're always going to disturb the sediment when you pour from a bomber but I've had success by refrigerating a bomber for a couple of weeks before drinking. That time in the cold, undisturbed setting allows the yeast and sediment in the bottle to really compact on the bottom and if you decant the first pour gently, you'll have the best chance of a low sediment second glass. Love that avatar by the way.
  3. You could pour two glasses at the same time so you don't have to tip the bottle upgright after the first pour. Or use a lambic basket so you can lay the bottle down after the first pour.

If you are going to share it, just give the glass with the dregs to the other person. ;-)
  4. Highbrow

Highbrow Savant (475) California Jan 7, 2011

not really for normal sediment but i have/had some beers i learned had way more sediment than i desired. for those i often use a gold coffee/tea filter & pour the beer directly into the filter with it placed over a glass. if the glass is not super wide, the filter can be placed hands free directly on the glass.

one thing to be alert about is some highly active beers may foam up the filter really quick, in those cases you'll need to exercise patience pouring. other than that if you want no sediment, this tricks works pretty good & i notice no ill effect on the beer. easy places to find the same filter - go REI, Sports Basement or a decent sporting goods store & look in the "camping" section.

[​IMG][​IMG]
  5. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (465) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

You can decant to a small glass pitcher no problem.

Second pour of Pranqster is great example of this.
  6. Sam21

Great ideas. Thanks! I've often wondered if two 10oz pours would be better than an 18oz pour into a 20oz glass. I love being able to pour a bomber of Berkshire Drayman's porter into a nonic pint, but can't say I want to do that with a bomber of Stone IRS.

The motivation for this post came from trying to decant a bottle of Stillwater's Table Beer. The brett was so active in that beer that the foam really took control even with the most gentle pour. I suppose some beers are just going to do that.

I love the picture too. That came from the second half of a Hennepin bottle. I was able to keep the yeast at bay, but the lighting gave it a very wonderful hazy appearance. I never have a problem with two pours from a 750ml. They never last long when the 750 is from Ommegang. The drinkability of those beers is outstanding.
  7. Sometimes beer is better with the sediment, so I prefer to think of drinking a bomber as a tale of two glasses - one with sediment and one without.
    cfrances33, JxExM, albertq17 and 2 others like this.
  8. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

Unless the bottle looks like Goldschlager I don't get overly concerned with a super gentle pour. I'm reasonably careful with bottle conditioned beers but have no problem if I end up with a little extra in my glass.
  9. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

Shake that bad boy up and spread the sediment evenly throughout the beer. Really though, I don't do anything special. The sediment doesn't bother me, so if my 2nd pour has more sediment - so be it.
  10. I have a Liefmans decanter (see below) that I use for this exact purpose - if it's a beer that I am worried about sediment in, I will make one, long, careful pour into the decanter, avoiding sediment and then pour my glasses from the decanter. This is pretty rare though - like some other folks have said, I enjoy the difference (in most beers) between the first, bright pour, and the second, cloudier one.

[​IMG]
  11. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I you're pouring two glasses, then just make sure you only tip the bottle once. Have the second glass at the ready and just swap them real quick as you pour. You may spill a drop or two if you suck at it, but practice makes perfect.
  12. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Don't you lose carbonation by pouring it into a vessel\decanter before finally pouring it into your glass?
  13. I've never been terribly concerned about it and think it adds to the flavor so my tendency is to swirl the bottle or roll it a bit before my pour to relax the sediment. For the Darkhorses of the world, I get miffed if I forget to relax the bottle and believe there is definitely a subtle difference in flavor between a non relaxed bottle over a fully relaxed one.
  14. Pour it through a pasta strainer works like a charm.

But on a seious note I keep the beer upright ti make sure it all compacts. Works well.
  15. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

I've recently been recapping my bombers and enjoying them over 2 or 3 days, the sediment usually settles back down over the course of 24 hours that the second pour remains mostly sediment-free. It also makes for an interesting experiment in oxidation.

I think the 2 glass solution is the best if you know you are pouring something where sediment may affect the flavor, but the Belgians will tell you it's better to drink the vitamins than leave them in the bottom of the bottle.
  16. Maybe a little, but nothing I've ever noticed in a negative way. FWIW, I started doing this after watching Chris pour several sediment-heavy beers this way at Ebenezer's (into much cooler decanters).
  17. Sam21

Great info everybody. I've tried the double pour, the decanter pour, and the recap and pour over two nights. Both work well - either way, I definitely drink the yeast at the end regardless. I have had a bottle of Fantome Saison that tasted awful when too many floaties got in the second pour.
  18. IceAce

IceAce Advocate (560) California Jan 8, 2004

Armond Debelder from Drie Fonteinen explains using Gueze: