1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Decanting Beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SweetWaterIPA, Dec 19, 2012.

1. SweetWaterIPA

SweetWaterIPA Zealot (80) Georgia Jan 26, 2009

Has anyone ever decanted a beer? If so what are the advantages? Does it make sense to decant a beer a possibly loose that carbonation?

2. SweetWaterIPA

SweetWaterIPA Zealot (80) Georgia Jan 26, 2009

Can anyone agree that decanting does not make sense since you loose the carbonation from the beer?

3. SupremePie

SupremePie Savant (320) Vermont Sep 30, 2012

Yeah, I wouldn't really decant due to the loss of carbonation...

4. Put it in a blender to aerate it.

CowsandBeer, crushedvol and Zimbo like this.
  5. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (610) Virginia May 28, 2010

the only beer I decant is my homebrew BA Imp Stout, but that's because I over-primed it when bottling...

6. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Decanting has different meanings. Beers with sediment should be decanted, meaning that they should be poured slowly into an alternate vessel so as not to disturb the sediment and leave the sediment behind in the first vessel. The alternate vessel could be the glass you intend to drink it from. You could also pour bottles or draft into serving vessels such as pitchers. Their will definitely be some loss of carbonation in decanting, but just pouring a beer into a glass also loses carbonation. So yes, decanting is appropriate for some beer service. It also will cause loss of carbonation.

7. Creetoper

Creetoper Aficionado (180) Ohio Jul 7, 2011

I bought a wine carafe for this very reason. I doubt that, with a gentle pour into the alternate vessel, a noticeable loss of carbonation would occur. I tend to do this for any beer that has sediment and I've never had a bad experience.

8. i like this idea a lot, especially with a thicker stout with more viscosity or a barleywine. Definitely worth an experiment.

9. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Seems like you all like cleaning extra glasses. Why not just pour into your favorite glass and let it sit if you're looking for a higher temp or less carbonation?

10. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

because it's not as fancy!!!

11. Morakaton

Morakaton Savant (330) Michigan May 6, 2013

I iust tried decanting a barleywine, took down most of the carbonation and made the beer alot more smooth and creamy. It's worth a try, especially since I got the beer on clearance =D

12. it is popular among gueze and lambic. as stated a few posts up, it allows for less sediment when pouring.

13. Works very well for Mamouche I have learned, really changes it for the better.