1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Decent gluten free beer Mi

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by beertasterb, Nov 23, 2012.

1. beertasterb

beertasterb Member

My wife had to go gluten free and while she is no Ba she does like some good beers is there a good gluten free beer available in mi
  2. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Member

Belipago from Jolly Pumpkin.
  3. surlytheduff

surlytheduff Member

Kuhnhenn & B. Nektar meads, 'Tweasonale (DFH GF beer). Message Bierenutz - he can give you some good input.
  4. beertasterb

beertasterb Member

Cool thx guys what does kuhnhenn make thats gf
  5. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Member

He was referring to Kuhnhenns Mead... But I believe there Double Rice India Pale is GF. Does she like sweet beers? Unity Vibration Raspberry and Ginger Kombucha beers are good, IMO. I know they can be polarizing.
  6. beertasterb

beertasterb Member

Yea she likes the malty sweet beers english brown ales nothing too hoppy im the fan of the dripa and a huge kuhnhenn fan in general
  7. jale

jale Member

Woodword Avenue Brewers (WOB) does a gluten-free IPA that is one of the better GF beers I have t tried.
  8. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Member

Is this wild/sour?
  9. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Member

I think it is a little wild.
  10. bierenutz

bierenutz Member

DRIPA is not gf.
  11. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Member

Thank you for the correction! Don't want to kill anyone here.
    LeRose likes this.
  12. bierenutz

bierenutz Member

JP Belipago is an IPA. They had a brown ale a couple years ago called Golden Manatee. The best gf beer I've had. I've asked about whether Ron is ever going to make another batch, but have been told that expansion and capacity issues have put this on the back burner.

My wife is gf and her "go to" beer is Green's Quest Golden Ale, otherwise she drinks the gf equivalent of Bud Light...Redbridge. DFH 'Tweasonale is seasonal and is a strawberry fruit beer and she likes that. New Grist and Bard's are not that good, but I guess like any beer and person, it's a matter of taste and trial and error.

Besides meads mentioned above, ciders are also gf.
  13. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Member

JK Scrumpy!
    bierenutz likes this.
  14. Keffa

Keffa Member

15. bierenutz

bierenutz Member

I'm considering doing such an order. Harvester is suppose to be a very good gf beer, but isn't yet distributed from Oregon to Michigan.

The OP's wife may want to try the other Green's beers...Endevour which is a dark Dubbel and Discovery which is a strong amber. Forgot to mention before that New Planet (Colorado) is now distributing in Michigan. They have 3 offerings, an APA called Off Grid, a blonde ale called Tread Lightly, and a fruit beer called 3R Raspberry.

Also, depending on the level of intolerance/allergy, be careful in buying a beer that is de-glutenized as opposed to gf. Omission (Widmer Bros Brewing, Oregon) has a beer that is suppose to eventually get here in Michigan that they were claiming was gf, but wasn't (legal action required a change in their adverstising). They had a process to remove the gluten from the barley which is great, but for those that are really sensitive, all ingredients must be gf from the start.
  16. NoMoreBeerBelly

NoMoreBeerBelly Member

The Harvester stuff is pretty damn good. I got an order from Lets Pour and got some Harvester for the wifey. Pale Ale, red, and dark. Haven't opened the dark yet but the others were really good for GF.

My wifes new go to beer (when she can find it) is Ommision Pale Ale. It actually tastes like an average pale ale. She has had no sensitivity to it. Also, the New Planet beers are also on the go-to list (especially the pale ale). There were the top option before Ommision which is cheaper than new planet. Redbridge is kind of last resort but she drinks it a lot because it is widely available and at our local grocery store.

She isn't big on Bards or New Grist anymore now that New Planet and Ommission are out. She also enjoys all the Greens but at $6 a pint, it is more a special beer than a daily beer.
    bierenutz likes this.
  17. danimalarkey

danimalarkey Member

18. senseimike

senseimike Member

Not sure if it is available in MI or not, but Sprecher's "Shakparo" is a nice gluten free as well. I would give that and Two Bros Prairie Path a shot!
  19. Keffa

Keffa Member

As per that page, it's not gluten free, it's gluten treated, which means the levels of gluten in it aren't verified, and therefore it may actually contain gluten.
  20. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Member

What is this beer? I can't find it in a BA search.

EDIT: Never mind, I Googled it and found a cider.
    MarcatGSB likes this.
  21. danimalarkey

danimalarkey Member

That reads to me like a boilerplate FDA warning. Clicking through to the next page shows this:
    http://www.twobrosbrew.com/gluten.htm

Which, yes, means that there is still gluten in the beer.
  22. Keffa

Keffa Member

Analyzed or not, it's still not gluten free, thus the need for that warning. Without knowing what levels of gluten cause a reaction in the OP, suggesting a product that isn't completely gluten free could be bad. That's the only reason I said anything.

Cheers.
  23. bierenutz

bierenutz Member

I thought I said this earlier...de-glutenized beer is NOT gluten free and brewers should not represent in any way that it is. Those with more sensitivity know it and should stay away from these beers. Also, there are many people that have some level of gluten intolerance and don't even know it.
  24. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Member

I agree, in fact I think alot of people have it...Omission from Widmer just went thru this...when they got label approval, they found out they couldn't claim Gluten Free...so now it' not. It's Gluten Treated or whatever. Interesting. Has anyone tried it? (I can search for reviews, I want people who give a *F* to respond.)
  25. bierenutz

bierenutz Member

Omission is suppose to be a fairly good "gf" beer and I was in the process of trying to trade for some when I learned it was not actually gf, only de-glutenized. For those with milder intolerance this may be worth seeking out.
  26. dbc5

dbc5 Member

My girlfriend has full blown Celiac and is highly sensitive to gluten. However, she has enjoyed the Omission Pale Ale with no issues. Each batch can be tracked online and the de-glutenizing process has brought both six packs we bought to below 10 parts per million, which falls below the 20 ppm required of gluten free foods. My understanding is that they cannot market anything as GF if it was made with gluten based ingredients, even if the final gluten ppm is below that of other gluten free foods.

On a taste note, this is without a doubt the best of the beers my girlfriend is able to drink.
  27. eapo

eapo Member

My wife has the cooties too.....A real heartbreaker for her as she loved the good stuff. I made it my mission to provide her with the best alternatives I can. The spinoff is she stays out of my stash now. We had Omission while on a trip this past summer. It was near the top of the list and appears to be jsut now making int into Michigan according to their website. New Planet is also locally available in Michigan and is pretty good. The 3R is a GF Soft Parade-esque beer. New Grist got old quickly. The imports are okay but pretty pricey by nature. This has given way to extensive exploration of ciders and meads which has proven interesting for both of us. We had high hopes for Belipago and the DFH brew and were disappointed.
  28. burica2020

burica2020 Member

What's the weird bizarro kinda delicious kombucha sour hoppy thing from Michigan. Comes in bombers, like funky Buddha or funky goddess or something...... It's pretty decent.
  29. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Member

30. burica2020

burica2020 Member

Haha, that's the name. Ya it was weird, like a kombucha lambic 7-up. I liked it but I have a feeling if I had it again, I'd hate it. It was weird.
  31. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Member

Yah, it's interesting. The fact that it is Vegan adds to it's "uniqueness". Alot of beers are, but few actually advertise it on the label. We sold this beer in both 12 oz. bottles and on tap this past summer. Probably went thru about 5 1/6th barrels all summer, and people dug it for the most part. 8 oz pours. It's pricey by the 1/6th barrel tho.
  32. deanhead

deanhead Member

I have a friend who is a Celiac and has no issues drinking the Omission. I have had it and in my opinion it is by far the best tasting eer for those with a gluten intolerance. De-glutenized or whatever you like to call it. This beer is damn good.
  33. DeviousSpirits

DeviousSpirits Member

Fort Street Brewery in Lincoln Park and Liberty Street Brewing in Plymouth both have GF offerings, though on rotating tap. Both are fairly decent, even from a non-GF BA perspective.
  34. bierenutz

bierenutz Member

When were these on tap? I inquired about these to the owner/brewer some time ago and never heard back.
  35. TheSSG

TheSSG Member

This and Lakefront's "New Grist."
    New Grist gets a LOT of hate, but it's WONDERFUL in summer. Very fruity and effervescent.

Prairie Path, on the other hand, is really nice, and tastes like a "normal" bier.
  36. DeviousSpirits

DeviousSpirits Member

I know Liberty Street had some within the past month. Not sure about Fort Street, since I'm no longer a regular there.
  37. gustogasmic

gustogasmic Member

If you're near Holland, check out Our Brewing Company. There's Saint Celiac's Gluten-Free Tripel and Gluten-Free IPA, both solid sorghum beers