1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Denver: New brewery, Former Future?

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by Mebuzzard, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

2. Sounds like they are still in the process of finding a home, with them focusing on the Baker neighborhood.

3. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (675) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

4. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Weird...but maybe cool. While I'd normally think it's odd that they're building so close to TRVE, that neighborhood has proven they can handle another place (along with Renegade & Breck, too) pretty easily.

5. Prospero

Found this pretty hilarious, "proprietary wild yeast" in their Saison, maybe they mean proprietary colony of wild yeast strains that has matured over multiple generations? I didn't realize Brettanomyces could be owned.

6. certain strains can i guess maybe

7. biking4beer

biking4beer Savant (385) Colorado Oct 5, 2006

I think Crooked Stave may have their own proprietary Brett. Ask Chad next time you're in there.

Edit: Brettanomyces is like saccharomyces cerevisiae. There are a lot of different versions that like to do different things. Some are good and some are bad.

8. There is at least brett a, brett b, brett c, brett l, but there are probably others...

9. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Crooked Stave owns that shit everyday son.

gklover1, HRCam, hopfacebrew and 4 others like this.
  10. Prospero

haha, so true

11. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

Nobody owns Brett!

ucsbmullet likes this.
  12. FormerFuture

FormerFuture Disciple (60) Colorado Dec 14, 2012

I realize this may never be seen, but I'm one of the owners and the brewer for Former Future, just thought I'd hop in and offer some help.

We're focusing on taking historical ideas and styles and creating something new and different. We're going to have a big science focus, my background is in microbiology and I have (and have been experimenting for some time) with some new ideas. We'll have a dedicated lab (something typically unheard of at our level) to allow for the greatest possible level of QA/QC and development.

We also have made customer feedback a cornerstone of our business and hope to interact with and value customer input on a level beyond that of what is normally done.

Former Future is still a ways from opening our doors. We are aiming high with our funding and are currently in the middle of that, want to make sure that we "do it right" and don't have to cut any corners in the process leading up to opening.

We are targeting the Baker area, yes, TRVE is there (and is who I consider my neighborhood brewery, my wife and I go there all the time) - I love TRVE. I do take a larger view of "baker" than just Broadway though, and even though it isn't technically part, we are also shopping areas of West Wash Park, Sante Fe Arts District, Lincoln Park, etc. Baker itself would be ideal, lots of room there for breweries. We are also looking at a couple of other areas - it just depends on finding the right space for the right price. Location is really important, obviously.

As for "proprietary wild yeast", yeah that's probably a strong term if you take proprietary to mean ownership. The fact is though that it is a strain harvested from the wild (probably Brett) that produces some interesting flavors that are unique to most other things out there. It is very much not a funky bug, etc. Do we own it? No! We just found it and use it and nobody else does. If someone were interested I couldn't/wouldn't want to stop them from using it, too. The fact is though it took quite a bit of work on my part to harvest, test, isolate, etc so I guess informally I feel like I "own" it (I'm good at sharing, though).

We are also using a commercial yeast nutrient package in at least one of our beers that is currently not used by anyone else in the brewing world, according to the manufacturer.

Currently we're working with a graphic design / branding professional to real nail down what we want for our logo and future branding. As part of our emphasis on customer input, we are planning a series of free tasting events in the new year. They will be invite only through our email list (sign up at the top of our website), or our facebook page. Hopefully will be a good chance for us to meet some future customers, pour some of our beer, and get some input on our recipes / what styles folks are looking for. Pretty excited.

Thanks for your input folks, you'll hear more from us soon, but I'd love to answer any questions you may have now.

13. Prospero

Cool man, thanks for posting, it's so great to see local guys follow this forum, and wish you the best. I really like your approach and look forward to trying your beer, I've been following your progress on FB now for awhile.

Penguin3200 and FormerFuture like this.
  14. FormerFuture

Thanks for your support! Wish progress was going at a more rapid clip, but it is going to be exponential and I'm sure in a few months we'll be swamped with paperwork, decisions, remodeling, etc, etc, etc. Our goal is to make progress in some small way every single day - and we've been pretty good with that, even if not a lot shows on the outside.

15. narayan

narayan Aficionado (170) Georgia Jun 28, 2007

Really like your plan and wish you well. Excited about the lab, will you offer access to other local breweries in the area?

16. FormerFuture

We've thought about it. I'd like to, but it would probably have to happen after we are up and running for a bit. Just seems like running the lab as an independent thing would add to the workload when we'll be overloaded starting up. Eventually though that would be very cool and benefit the community.

17. dauss

dauss Advocate (575) Colorado Aug 9, 2003

There are several CO breweries that provide lab analysis, sometimes for free.

FormerFuture likes this.
  18. FormerFuture

Yes, that's true, much larger breweries. As far as I know we'll be the first nano-taproom with a real lab, period. The benefit for us having a lab is being able to do a number things *for ourselves* that are specifically *not* offered in the local market right now (at least for free, I'm sure for the right price you could have a brewery lab or otherwise do anything you wanted :) ).

We feel there is a lot of R&D that can be done, not only with QA/QC, consistency, etc - but also by pushing some boundaries and using the lab "creatively" for our own recipes. Microbes are really, really interesting beasts to me (not only because I'm a microbiologist), and I think that their contribution to making interesting beer has yet to be fully leveraged, at all - that's something I'm hoping the lab can help us do.

If we are able to provide some of those services to other neighborhood breweries, great - but that isn't really the point of doing it. :cool:

19. Very cool ideas! Looking forward to trying some of the beers

FormerFuture likes this.
  20. dauss

dauss Advocate (575) Colorado Aug 9, 2003

GC, IBU, ABV and DO?

FormerFuture likes this.
  21. FormerFuture

We won't have a gas chromatography rig, maybe I'm wrong but I don't think many regional breweries do, either.

The stuff I want to do is centered around yeast and their care and feeding - so more dealing with wort composition, yeast (count, propagation, isolation, testing, nutrition, etc), water chemistry, pH, oxygenation, sanitation, etc and how we can test/tweak those things to create consistent beer as well as doing some unorthodox things in those areas to create some more eccentric, unique flavors. Yeah, our lab isn't going to be comparable to S-N's, but it will be leaps and bounds ahead of what most breweries our size do.

A bio-centric lab rather than finished beer chemical "specifications", like you're (mostly) asking about. HopUnion and others will do those very inexpensively. Unlike many other nanos (and I'm not saying there is anything wrong with them NOT doing it, either - Lord knows great beer can be made without much science at all) we will actually send each batch for testing of those attributes that are not possible for us to test directly.