1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Deposits inside the neck

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TheBeerAlmanac, Feb 24, 2013.

1. I just bought a Girardin Gueuze 1882 black label and noticed there are deposits of what looks like yeast in the air space around the neck, predominantly right under the cork. I've never seen this with another beer I've purchased and I can't imagine it would be that detrimental, but I wanted to inquire anyway. Is this a result of someone transporting the bottles upside down or is it something more sinister? It's a 2013 vintage according to the cork, btw.
    [​IMG]
  2. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Advocate (645) Virginia Apr 25, 2012

Could be the case was loaded onto the truck upside down for shipping, or the bottles spent a lot of its life on its side rather than upright, or a combination of both. Nothing sinister.
  3. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

My bottle had the same thing. No idea of the exact cause but I can tell you it doesn't matter because that beer tasted so good
    TheBeerAlmanac likes this.
  4. Not only is it totally normal, but Armand at Drie Fonteinen actually discards the initial half ounce or so of lambic for this very reason.

TheBeerAlmanac likes this.
  5. I understand, but part of me dies when I watch it just pour onto the tray. :(