1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Des Moines: Best Food & Beer

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by redblacks75, Sep 7, 2012.

1. redblacks75

redblacks75 Savant (430) Iowa Oct 29, 2010

Taking a trip to Des Moines with the family this Saturday, and I'm curious as to peoples recommendations where to get good food, and beer.

I have been to El Bait Shop and have enjoyed that. I would certainly consider it again. Zombie Burger? Royal Mile? Court Ave? What are peoples preference, and why? Also, is there any places I may not have listed. Thanks in advance.

2. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Savant (450) Minnesota Oct 19, 2011

I was just there for a reunion during the State Fair. Based on some recommendations I got, we ate at the Rock Bottom in West Des Moines. They let you try a couple of samples (4-5 oz!) for free, then charge you a few bucks if you want more than that. I tried 8 different beers (splitting them w/ my party), and many of them were truly amazing. They have rotating sours and barrel aged treats - I tried the ones they had at the time, and they were both wonderful. I was truly surprised at how much we all loved their brews.

3. cyclonece09

cyclonece09 Savant (375) Maryland Aug 5, 2008

Go to the Hessen Haus. If you have a large enough group, you can enjoy a good German beer in a "Das Boot". Love the genuine German atmosphere. El Bait Shop, Royal Mile, and Court Ave Brewing Co were also in my rotation when I would go to Des Moines when I was in college at ISU.

4. Bond111

Bond111 Savant (335) Minnesota Feb 14, 2011

I'm heading down there from Rochester /weekend for my brothers wedding. When I lived in Iowa I never did make it to Zombie Burger. My wife & I decided we needed to go there. Supposed to have great taps & great food.

I'd say if you want both then check out Court Ave as well. I've never been to Hessen Haus but I've never been that impressed with most typical German beers that they would serve. No offense to @cyclonece09.

5. JediMatt

JediMatt Aficionado (210) Iowa Jun 18, 2010

Royal Mile has good food and british taps. Upstairs is the Red Monk, which has a good belgian beer selection. Hessen Haus has a really great german beer selection. I'm not a fan of Raccoon River's beers. Court Ave. Pub used to be good, but I haven't been there since they replaced their brewer. There are two new places: Exile Brewing and Number 7 Brewery, but I haven't tried either yet. I like Zombie Burger's food, and their beer selection is good, but their service can be lacking and it is usually a long wait to get in.

And yes, the Rock Bottom in West Des Moines has a very good brewer. :)

6. Zombie Burger does have very good food as well. If you go for lunch (or really any time other than a weekend evening) there usually isn't much of a wait. I would suggest going there just for the unique experience alone.

Otherwise, I would usually go to El Bait Shop or Hessen Haus.

7. jlpred55

jlpred55 Savant (305) Iowa Jul 26, 2006

Zombie Burger has Toppling Goliath- or at least they did last time I was there. A fresh Golden Nugget with a good burger is where it is at.

The rest are all great suggestions as well. Though the Royal Mile is a little dumpy these days.

8. redblacks75

redblacks75 Savant (430) Iowa Oct 29, 2010

Allot of great input here. Thanks again.

9. I was just in Des Moines last week on business (first time, so take this for what it's worth).

Really enjoyed dinner at Exile ~ food is top-notch but beer selection is sparse for now (1 house tap - a very good hefeweizen - and a few others Millstream, Goose Island, Sam Adams - but I get that they've only been open a few weeks). Zombie Burger was a blast and I'm still thinking about how good that burger was (Undead Elvis); they'd just had a 'tap takeover' by Founders so no locals on at the time. As was suggested above, go for lunch.

El Bait Shop was great, but didn't eat there. Enjoyed Court Ave, too.

Brian

PS: ZB just added to their facebook a Google Maps walk-through of the inside. Pretty cool!