1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Des Moines bottle shops

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by newharlemshuffle, May 16, 2014.

1. going to be in Des Moines on Monday and Tuesday, was wondering where would be the best places to drop in and see what is around to offer. Anything I should be on the look out for that isn't necessarily available in Cedar Rapids?
  2. Berg77

Berg77 Aficionado (220) Iowa Nov 30, 2013

I'd suggest the Hy-Vee grocery stores either on Fleur Ave, or State St. in Ankeny. They have about the best selections I've seen in town, and their managers know their stuff. There is also Beer Crazy in Urbandale, which may not have quite as good selection, but does offer singles of everything. I'd also suggest checking out El Bait Shop bar downtown - they have about 100 beers on tap. As far as I can think, Des Moines gets about the same distro as Cedar Rapids, but maybe other BA's can think of ones I'm not recalling. Cheers!
  3. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

As mentioned, the best two places in town are HyVee on Fleur and the Prairie Trail HyVee in Ankeny. Other than that, both WineStyles in WDSM and the Cheese Shop on 42nd st. are two smaller places that carry some nice stuff and are definitely recommended. If you stop in at the Cheese Shop, you might as well go up a few blocks and to the HyVee on 42nd/University, as they have some gems sometimes too. If you are on the east side of DSM, you can't miss the Pleasant Hill HyVee. Fantastic selection there.