1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Deschutes Black Butte XXV

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by draheim, Jun 21, 2013.

1. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I just opened my second-to-last XXIII (XXIV is better IMHO), which made me wonder when XXV would be coming out. Seems to me it should be right about now.

Well it looks like I was right. I'm suddenly very much looking forward to this. Cheers!

http://beerpulse.com/2013/06/deschu...nounces-upcoming-black-butte-xxv-release-658/

[​IMG]

(Bend, OR) – This year, Deschutes Brewery is toasting 25 years with the 6th vintage of its imperial porter, Black Butte XXV. In order to celebrate in style, this iteration of the annual beer amps it up with the addition of Theo’s cocoa nibs, Mission figs and Medjool dates. The bourbon barrel aged portion of the beer was increased by 20 percent over past versions of this anniversary brew, and drinkers of Black Butte XXV will notice complex notes of vanilla, tart and dried fruit, and chocolate. With everything that’s going on in the flavor profile of this beer, you may have to raise several toasts just to experience it all.

“Twenty-five years in business is a significant milestone for us, and our team wanted to create an anniversary brew that truly marked the occasion,” said Cam O’Connor, brewmaster for Deschutes Brewery. “Not only did we increase the aging amount in barrels for this beer, but we soured a small portion of the final blend. We added a bunch of new ingredients, including black currants. I think fans will find that there are many layers of delicious complexity in this year’s version.”

Both the Bend and Portland brewpubs will be celebrating the arrival of this year’s vintage with Birthday Bash parties on the brewery’s anniversary, June 27. The Portland pub will have a family friendly celebration, with balloon twisters and face painters, plus flights of Imperial dark beers for the adults. The Bend pub will be whooping it up in the back alley with live music from The River Pigs with Scott Foxx & Boxcar Stringband, tasty food specials and killer brews.

Black Butte XXV will be introduced in 22-ounce wax-dipped bottles and on draft to most of the 21 states where Deschutes Brewery beers are sold over the next few weeks, in limited quantities. Although the label states a best after date of June 10, 2014, we recommend drinking one now and cellaring another one to enjoy later. (11.3% Alcohol by Volume; 64 International Bittering Units)
    About Deschutes Brewery

Celebrating its 25th anniversary this year, Deschutes Brewery began as a brew pub in downtown Bend, Oregon and is known for such brands as Black Butte Porter, its flagship brew and the nation’s number one selling craft porter, and the popular Mirror Pond Pale Ale. In addition to its original Bend pub, this family and employee-owned brewery opened a second pub in Portland’s Pearl District in 2008. The company’s main brewing facility is located on the banks of the Deschutes River and produces over 250,000 barrels of beer annually for distribution in 21 states and two provinces. To find out more, visit www.DeschutesBrewery.com.

2. Duff27

Duff27 Advocate (600) Illinois Feb 10, 2010

One of my favorite (changing) annual release. Thanks for the info!

3. Really looking forward to this with more bourbon barrel to it. Definitely my favorite porter out there. Will probably get 6 to 12 bottles :)

4. I don't always drink stout, but when I do I drink Black Butte XXV!

AnchorBaby, kenihrig, jimpdx and 4 others like this.
  5. It's a porter. :)

6. Being a guy outside of Deschute's distro, I wouldn't mind just getting one bottle. :(

Sirvis, mtomlins, Cubatobaco and 2 others like this.
  7. draheim

C'mon now. This is a family website.

8. Got to grab this so i can have a 4 yrs vert tasting. I got 21,23,24 already.

9. AndyAvalanche and RobertColianni like this.
  10. ZacJay

ZacJay Aficionado (100) California Jul 18, 2011

I went through xxiii and xxiv so fast. I'll have to grab more bottles this year.

11. Daemose

Daemose Savant (480) Texas Oct 3, 2011

Every time I see your avatar, it bothers me for some reason.

12. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Am I the only one who's not looking forward to part of it being soured? Infected dark beers that go sour are awful. I'm hoping for the best but I wish they would have left that part out and just gone with the Porter style, upping the barrel percentage.

13. Not a Duvel fan I take it. That, or the haunting stare. Does she know something about that beer I don't?

Daemose likes this.
  14. If the bourbon is as prominent as I think it will be, the sour will only give depth/balance to the (overly)rich BB aging and adjuncts. I'm anticipating a real winner with this one.

15. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

50% doesn't usually breed a prominent bourbon character. Deschutes has never been about beers with bourbon in the forefront.

coldmeat23 likes this.
  16. draheim

Speculate all you want. I'm going to wait to taste the beer before I decide if it's good or bad.

17. I will give you that the tartness is a strange change, but at least we know it wasn't due to infection from the barrels (yay flash pasteurization). As such I have to believe it is intentional, and I love pretty much everything they intentionally do so I am still looking forward to it. I think Deschutes and Central Waters are my two favorite breweries for their beers, their fans, and for handling their mistakes (Some people may complain about PM but CW at least announced it and offered a buy back, and this years was amazing).

18. imHawesome

imHawesome Zealot (85) Arizona Jun 21, 2013

Cant wait just found a bottle of XXIV yesterday.

19. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

I've always been a fan of her avatar.:D

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  20. MssrTussaud

MssrTussaud Initiate (0) California Apr 17, 2013

It's an odd touch, but if the soured part was pasteurized (so it doesn't progress further and overwhelm the rest of the beer), the result could be interesting. Weren't historical porters slightly soured?

21. Devi0us

Devi0us Advocate (555) California May 3, 2011

RobertColianni likes this.
  22. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

I don't know I wouldn't be too sure. Dale's Pale Ale says pale ale on the label and the brewer has come out and said it is an IPA (as everyone who tasted it already knew).

Not saying you are wrong, but it is certainly heavier than any porter I know, and heavier than many stouts as well.

nsh221, hardy008, pmarlowe and 2 others like this.
  23. Awesome, have a XXIII and XXIV sitting in the closet. I really wish XXII had been released though, that beer is absolutely delicious.

24. Oh my...:confused::eek:o_O

66jzmstr likes this.
  25. Had the last two and thoroughly enjoyed them. Very excited to try this one as well.

26. rtrasr

rtrasr Savant (345) Arkansas Feb 16, 2009

I love Black Butte Porter. Best there is since SA Honey Porter. I will try the XXV and hope it is half as good as their regular porter.

27. Huge fan of their regular porter...finished up my 6pac of it last week and if it's anything like it then I'll love this too

28. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,120) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Generally one of my favorite releases of the year (even moreso than Abyss!). I, too, am a bit skeptical about the the addition of souring, but we will certainly see.

29. a061183

a061183 Zealot (90) Arizona Aug 29, 2008

Sent you a message

30. a061183

a061183 Zealot (90) Arizona Aug 29, 2008

My favorite release is the Dissident but they have only done 2 releases so far and it is hit or miss on that one.

31. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Time to tab the Deschutes Beer Finder so I know when/if it shows up in Casper.;)

32. Angst

Angst Aficionado (215) California Nov 8, 2007

No you are not! This beer was really sounding good until I read that they "Soured" a small portion of the blend. If I wanted sour in my porter or stout, I'd be trading for infected beers!

Lorianneb and Buff0910 like this.
  33. I bet (hope) they pasteurized the soured bit.

34. mporter13

mporter13 Aficionado (175) Oregon Jul 13, 2011

I'm with you here. As great as Abyss is (which is incredibly great) I still get a little more excited for these Black Butte releases

SatlyMalty and beertunes like this.
  35. Lorianneb

Lorianneb Savant (485) New Jersey Apr 27, 2012

I loved the Black Buttes I have gotten in the past, but now it will be partly soured.....I'm disappointed. Hate sours

Angst likes this.
  36. Buff0910

Buff0910 Savant (390) Alabama Jan 20, 2013

I want a case if anyone ones to do an epic trade lmk. I'm for real on this. ISO Black Butte xxv

37. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

no, Devi0us is actually wrong. there is no difference between porter and stout. it's just capricious brewer choice what people call such beers. it seems like breweries usually just call their weaker "stout" a porter, but even that isn't as consistently true as, say, the difference between IPA and APA (which as far as i can tell is, simply, if brewery A has an IPA and an APA, the latter is probably lower in alchohol or IBU or both). take any definitional attribute of stout or porter, and you can find that attribute in greater magnitude in some other porter or stout (and saying, "well then it's just not a stout, it's a porter!" then is known as begging the question). if you rather take an historical view of stout and porter, you really lose in saying they're distinct.

===

re: black butte, loved XIII more than XIV, but honestly i loved XIV, so i'll love XV if i end up getting any.

38. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

Three. 2008, 2010, and 2012.

39. This did not fly off the shelves in San Diego last year, for whatever reason. Better for me!

dianimal and jdmandel like this.