1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Deschutes Black Butte XXV

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by draheim, Jun 21, 2013.

1. WelshBrewer

WelshBrewer Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 17, 2013

Thursday the 27th in Portland Oregon , I'll be there with open arms
  2. WelshBrewer

I do not believe it will be soured, I'll check again but I didn't read this any where and I follow
    This pretty close
  3. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

they flash pasteurize everything from their barrel program as far as i know. therefore, i think the blend will probably be awesome, and not ruin the beer.

as for the idiotic "best after" date they add to beers like this, i would ignore that...
  4. Lorianneb

Lorianneb Savant (425) New Jersey Apr 27, 2012

" but we soured a small portion of the final blend."

If it gives it a dried fruit kind of tang, that's ok by me. But, I just hope it doesn't make it a sour stout/porter
  5. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Savant (415) Minnesota Oct 19, 2011

You need an X-tra X in all of those, my friend:)
    RobertColianni and jdmandel like this.
  6. derftron

derftron Savant (275) Oregon Feb 8, 2012

had XXII in a Portland bar a few years ago. Didnt realize what I was drinking at the time and how rare it was. always wondered why I could never find it again. It was truly a great beer
    dianimal and Beerandraiderfan like this.
  7. WelshBrewer

A small portion will be soured, does not a sour beer make.
    alex_hart likes this.
  8. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

They did release it...very briefly, and only in Bend, I believe. They sold it at the brewpub for a bit and the brewery itself.

I've tried it a few times on tap at local Deschutes tap takeovers during SF Beer week. I've also had it in the bottle at a local bottle share (uber rare). They also served it via bottles at the Portland brewpub either last year or the year before. Agreed that it is absolutely delicious!
  9. While there is certainly a lot of truth in what you say, especially in modern American brewing, traditionally smoked malt draws the line between porter and stout. I still judge beer in this way, a porter with apparent smoke will lose points, as will a stout without.
    RobertColianni likes this.
  10. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

by 'traditionally' are you referring to your own tradition?
    maximum12, decadance and BrettHead like this.
  11. WelshBrewer

The XXV does not even real ease until today.

12. Didn't know they actually sold any bottles to go, those must be very rare indeed. I had it from the bottle last summer at the US Olympic trials in Eugene during one of the nightly reserve series beer tastings Deschutes was doing, and it was wonderful. I did see the problem with the sediment from the cocoa butter, but it didn't negatively affect the flavor of the beer, chocolatey deliciousness was everywhere.
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  13. WelshBrewer

That being said they have not released the XXV yet anywhere, it gets released today, they do not do pre-releases of this beer.
  14. WelshBrewer

Yes they sell bottles limited to 6 22oz when released I will pick up a case today, (when it is released).

15. Oh I meant the XXII. I was under the impression from the Deschutes reps I talked to they never released bottles for sale.
    BrettHead likes this.
  16. tectactoe

tectactoe Advocate (740) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

The label for FFF's "Permanent Funeral" simply says "Pale Ale" (it's even called a pale ale in the description of the beer straight from the brewery's mouth), but it clocks in at over 10% ABV and 100 IBUs.

I want you to argue to me that it is really just a pale ale because "the label says so".
  17. WelshBrewer

That is wierd, maybe they want it for themselves :D, ive have picked up bottles every year it has been released so far.
  18. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Savant (490) Texas Jan 20, 2010

Not because the label says so, because the people who brewed the beer say so.
  19. tectactoe

tectactoe Advocate (740) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

alucard6679 likes this.
  20. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Time for someone to start making pale ale's and calling them white stouts (or would that be white porters?).
  21. KWMiles

KWMiles Initiate (0) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

gawd, i love that beer.

don't give a shit what the label says, enjoying the inside is really all that matters.
  22. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/5171/83677

Apparently a white/pale stout is actually a barleywine. ;)
    fsck and FriarTuckInLuck like this.
  23. WelshBrewer

This thread is hilarious, history says that a stout is a strong porter created for shipping long distances.
    So in a nutshell they are the same / kinda / sorta / Ok I dont care / really.
  24. WelshBrewer

Ok here.

If we go back to the latter half of the 18th century and the first part of the 19th century, stout, more particularly brown stout, was simply the name for the strongest version of porter. Here's a quote from a book called "A General Dictionary of Commerce, Trade and Manufactures," published in 1810:

"Porter may be divided into two classes, namely brown-stout and porter properly so called … Brown-stout is only a fuller-bodied kind of porter than that which serves for ordinary drinking. A great deal of this is exported to America and the West Indies."
  25. WelshBrewer

26. jtmartino

XXII never made it to distro aside from local sales. There's a lot of information about it floating around online.
  27. EyePeeAyBryan

EyePeeAyBryan Savant (470) Arizona Dec 20, 2011

Was there just a ton of XXIV last year or do people in AZ just not care for this brew? We've got cases and cases of last year's still around and it's pretty much available in every bottle shop...
  28. derftron

derftron Savant (275) Oregon Feb 8, 2012

I would think that hot weather states do not drink strong porters/stouts as much as northern states ( I would be curious to see a study done on this).

I know one of the last things I look to do on a 90 degree day after mowing the lawn is chug down a 10% syrupy porter.
    EyePeeAyBryan likes this.
  29. The bottle I drank on release was pretty meh, so I can see people passing up on this. The two times I had it on tap were sublime however, so I picked up a few more bottles.
  30. WelshBrewer

Grab it!! It is one of the good ones.
  31. KWMiles

KWMiles Initiate (0) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

infected, bra.
  32. jtmartino

chew76, JulianB and KWMiles like this.
  33. WelshBrewer

Someone need a bra? or a Bro? Or a mansier?
    regularjohn likes this.
  34. carppdiem

carppdiem Aspirant (30) Washington Mar 23, 2013

So let's hear it....anybody in Portland or Bend get to drink this today?

I'm wondering how long it will take to see this in the Seattle area....guess I'll have to ask the beer dude at Total Wine what he's got on order. I should also ask if it's possible to have them hold a bottle or case for me. I'd even pay in advance....
  35. WelshBrewer

Not yet but I will at 4pm, fill you in later this evening :cool:
  36. WelshBrewer

Not infected
  37. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (595) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

Same here, brother...
  38. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,040) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

We got plenty of XXIV in SW Missouri this year, now Abyss was another story. Can't wait for the XXV!
  39. WelshBrewer

ok so here is my $.02, I liked it well enough but it is Tart and a tad sour not over the top but enough that I dispensed with buying a full case and went for 3 bottles only, I am hoping it will mellow a little in the next year.
    Don't get me wrong I think they did good on this beer. I would order it again at $6 for a 9oz pour, which I will do in Bend OR over the 4th of July holiday. Hope this gives you a little insight on the XXV. Also had a XXI, yummy.
    Happy drinking!!
    Oh and on the XXII it was un-dissolved Chocolate they still served in kegs but could only get about 3/4 keg and throw the rest out.