1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Deschutes Black Butte XXV

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by draheim, Jun 21, 2013.

1. ...or maybe you don't know what oxidation tastes like.
    Johnnyhitch likes this.
  2. JoEBoBpr

JoEBoBpr Champion (760) Missouri Feb 26, 2004

Cant wait for this gem. Still have a bottle of last years brew!
  3. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Hell, yeah.
  4. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

This XXV is mother fuckn delicious. There's nothing sour about it - just a very slight tartness from currants, don't get your panties in a bunch.
  5. WelshBrewer

WelshBrewer Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 17, 2013

Or maybe I do, and like I said I have not had a BB that was Oxidized. So again ill go for the poked a hole in the lid theory.
  6. Did you buy a bottle? where?
  7. I've sat down with national beer judges to discuss this beer and it's been oxidized on both occasions. Your theory is wrong.
  8. WelshBrewer

Wow dude you need to relax, on that note not all oxidation is bad, and I dont care what your judges say I didnt taste it. And if you didnt pick up on the whole joking thing with the poked hole theory then that is your prob
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  9. WelshBrewer

Yes you hit the nail on the head, a tartness, wether from the currents or the little sourness in it I dont care, it is as you most delicately put it MFD!!
    stealth likes this.
  10. stealth

I bought a bunch online through beership in case local shops don't get it this year!
  11. oh. gotcha. i'll have to check that out.
  12. Angst

Angst Aficionado (185) California Nov 8, 2007

I definitely will try it. I just don't see myself liking it. I really don't like sour or tartness in my stouts or porters. I'm just trying to keep an open mind for when I try one.
  13. WelshBrewer

Like I said, me either but it is really good and I think will age well, (we will see)
  14. rtrasr

rtrasr Savant (330) Arkansas Feb 16, 2009

Thanks Russ.
  15. msanborn

msanborn Aficionado (240) Texas Jul 2, 2013

Anyone have any idea when this is going to make it down to Texas? I keep checking the stores and Deschutes' website but there's no ETA as of yet.
  16. Angst

Yeah, hope you're right. Deschutes is one of my favorite breweries. Abyss was the beer that opened my eyes to stouts. I really like their Black Butte anniv. If anyone can pull it off, Deschutes can. I'm just skeptical.
  17. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Any sightings in WA state yet?
  18. I've seen it at a couple places around Seattle as of last weekend.
  19. bifrost17

Damn, for real? Where at? All the usual spots? I just haven't really been looking I guess.
  20. I haven't been to any of the usual spots, I fear. I just bumped into it at a couple random grocery stores. The Pear down by Pike Place had it, which almost certainly means its also at U Village QFC. The Beer Junction had it listed as in stock in an e-mail dated 7/3. No word from Full Throttle, though. Haven't been to Bottleworks, etc. recently enough to have seen it, but I know it's around!
  21. bifrost17

I actually went to the U Village QFC a few hours ago when I got off work, haha in search of BBXXV, but it wasn't anywhere to be found. I'm off tomorrow so looks like I'll be trying to track down a few bottles.
  22. WelshBrewer

I too am a Deschutes Fan (Big Fan) I even went as far as tasting there Gluten free beer at the pub in Portland (live real close) and it was suprisingly good, not somthing I would drink again because I dont need to but I had to try.
  23. Angst

I wish I lived close! One of these days I'll make it up there. I'd even try the gluten free beer too! Hopefully I can try the BB XXV soon!
    WelshBrewer likes this.
  24. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (765) California Jan 31, 2005

I'm a bit wary. I enjoyed the last few years of this one. Having said that, when I hear "sour" with this style I get hesitant. I hope Stealth is right, and it's just a hint of the currants.
  25. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

lol OhhhH NAttional beers judges!!!

Who gives a shit.
  26. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Savant (275) Colorado May 31, 2011

I had a glass last night, and if I hadn't read this thread, it never would've occurred to me that a portion of this beer had been soured. It's been a year since I had the predecessor, but I'd say they're pretty comparable. I liked it, and will get more (would've liked it more had it been sour, lol).
  27. bifrost17

Hey man, I bet he's read lots and lots of books about beer, and he hangs out with beer judges. He's clearly an expert, we shouldn't question him.
  28. carppdiem

carppdiem Aspirant (30) Washington Mar 23, 2013

Just now picked up a bottle at Total Wine in Bellevue for $11.99. They had a limit of one bottle per person.
  29. NWer

NWer Advocate (635) Washington Mar 10, 2009

I picked up two at Central Market in Mill Creek yesterday (7/9). Gotta ask for it.
    bifrost17 likes this.
  30. So you got it already??
    I checked it out, and it's pre-order only at the moment.

Edit: Or did you try it on tap?
  31. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

See it all over the place with no limit @ 15.99.
  32. stealth

I am on BS's mailing list and was waiting for the 'we got it' email. Soon as they sent it I ordered 6 of the first 60 bottles they got - then it went into pre-order status. They are expecting a bunch more soon from what it sounded like, though!

Also, heads up, they don't ship to MN. I live by the border so I had my box shipped to a friend a few miles a way in Wisconsin.
  33. Thanks for the info.
    My daughter lives in Hayward; I'll have to order a few to send to her house.

What did you end up paying per bottle, if you don't mind sharing?
    They hint on the site that the price may be more than listed.
  34. WelshBrewer

Sweet I will check here in Vancouver, cant beat that price yet
  35. Angst

Had it today. You were right and I was pleasently wrong. Any sour/tartness was very subtle and actually complimentary. This beer was a lot better than I expected. Deschutes once again does not fail to deliver. Awesome beer & awesome brewery!
    WelshBrewer likes this.
  36. Can't you guys read? You're not supposed to drink it until June of next year. :D
    EyePeeAyBryan likes this.
  37. Brewzma

Brewzma Savant (360) Wisconsin Jun 2, 2013

I also ordered from BeerShip. $15/bottle. Looking forward to opening one soon
  38. Considering after tax I am paying 12-13, beership at 15 really wasn't bad. Have 3 bottles so far, hoping to grab a few more, especially if it hits texas like last year.
  39. where in cali do you live that i'm not seeing it? do share:)
  40. DarrenStory

DarrenStory Savant (265) Oregon Feb 11, 2013

Who was selling them for $12-13? What did you have to do? I got them straight from the Deschutes Brewpub for $14ea :/