1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Deschutes Black Butte XXV

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by draheim, Jun 21, 2013.

1. JNL

JNL Zealot (75) Illinois Apr 1, 2013

Hit Chicago yesterday. $15.99
  2. I must agree there are no difference in style btw stouts and porters because both are dark beer made using roasted malt or roasted barley, hops, water and yeast. Stouts were traditionally the generic term for the strongest or stoutest porters; hence stouts are porters, a strong porter. So it's other way around, brewery usually call their strong porters 'Stouts'; hence BBXXV in style is a stout but Dechutes calls it a porter, a very yummy porter indeed:)

Re: Re: talking about BB XIII, BBXIV, and BBXV, wow good luck finding them they are impossible to find now and way past it's prime:)
  3. So looking forward to this beer and a big congratulations to Deschutes for brewing great beer for 25 years!!
  4. gkoz

gkoz Savant (465) Illinois Apr 22, 2013

thought it was good, but 15.99 is a bit steep. bought two so we'll see how the other one is in a few months
  5. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

Better than Parabola..?? I'd say they're close. Maybe prefer Abyss slightly. I'd say you could certainly age one, but it's already been aged for you, and is ready to drink now. But two bottles, age one, and drink one.
  6. BeerMeInStl

BeerMeInStl Savant (475) Missouri Jan 26, 2013

This just hit St. Louis today but $15.99 is a bit steep for me, especially when I can still get Stone Espresso IRS for $6.99.
  7. Grabbed me some after having struck-out all week.
    Mill Valley market, $13.99. I grabbed four.
    texasdrugaddict likes this.
  8. athenmonk

athenmonk Aficionado (135) New York Jan 17, 2012

Got a bottle yesterday at La Bodega in Anchorage for $12.99
  9. Beerlover

Beerlover Savant (400) Minnesota Mar 15, 2012

Russian imperial....PORTER! :) this is good stuff get yourself a bottle or two!
  10. DarrenStory

DarrenStory Savant (265) Oregon Feb 11, 2013

Just last night I was drinking XXV and was thinking how I think I prefer Abyss over XXV. What's funny to me is that I can actually taste standard Black Butte more in Abyss than I can in XXV. As far as Parabola goes, just based on memory from when I had it a couple months ago, I would say Parabola had more of a "hot" bourbon taste and XXV had more of a tart thing going on. I found Parabola to be more of a "sipper" and XXV more easy drinking.
  11. This reminds me of Peruvian Morning.
  12. Very surprised by these $15.99 prices... Just picked up a bottle for $10.99 today. Also picked up a bottle of XXIV for $13.99 yesterday.
  13. LaneMeyer

LaneMeyer Savant (390) California Mar 20, 2011

Just popped open my first XXV tonight. Sipping on it as I type. Not what I expected at all, very different from the last two releases which I had. Tart flavor is really coming through pretty strong on this one. Also fairly bitter. Strange tasting beer. Not sure if I like it or not. Will have to take some more sips and see how it grows on me.
    Pelican5 likes this.
  14. Looking for this and W00T stout at total wine today. The guy in front of me grabbed the last 5 bottles of XXV! Dick lol.

15. More proof that LA drinkers are pantywaists. If somebody in San Diego had 5 bottles of a Whale, 2 things would happen:

1. He'd be told to take at least 3 bottlers back to the shelvers,

2. somebody behind the would beat him up.
  16. Of course...
  17. Hatzilla

Hatzilla Savant (310) California Jul 25, 2008

It's July in Arizona.
  18. You make it sound like people are slashing the prices because it won't sell when in reality, many places had a one bottle limit with the bottles hidden away in the back and many places have been sold out for over a week.
  19. You make it sound like July in Arizona doesn't suck.

Nobody else thinks this tastes like Peruvian Morning?
  20. Shame they surround this brew with crap...
  21. Picked up a bottle for $11.99 in St Louis. Still have 2 bottles of XXIV left in my basement too.
  22. jono0101

jono0101 Savant (345) Missouri Aug 1, 2011

where in st louis? i was trying to find this all day on friday, and nobody had it
  23. Just saw your post - put my order online at The Wine and Cheese Place. I think Lukas Liquor in Ellisville might have some. Also check Randall's - last year they had XXIV around for months after release.
  24. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (405) California Dec 17, 2012

Is it? Or is it just really fortuitous camoflauge?
  25. Touche
  26. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (405) California Dec 17, 2012

I would be more concerned if flavors could leech from nearby bottles. Then you might need to squeeze some lime into your Black Butte XXV.
  27. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

Is this popping up online at all?
  28. BeerMeInStl

BeerMeInStl Savant (475) Missouri Jan 26, 2013

Lukas sent out an email on Friday saying that they had it.
  29. jono0101

jono0101 Savant (345) Missouri Aug 1, 2011

cool thanks, i just missed out on wine and cheese, but randalls and lukas were the two stores i didnt get a chance to stop at, ill check them out this week
  30. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Savant (445) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

I got mine from LetsPour, but that was a while ago. This is the only place I know of off hand:

http://www.craftbeerkings.com/deschutes/black butte XXV

EDIT: Beware of the shipping prices there, though. They can get brutal.
    imfrommichigan and velcrogrip like this.
  31. Letspour just put it up again right now
  32. in a 32 oz growler though
  33. Your attempt at bolstering credibility (national beer judges) failed though.

If you would have said "top reviewers on BA" I would have nodded approvingly ;)
    Pahn and RobertColianni like this.

34. Holy crap. just tried to put in an order. you aren't lying about the shipping prices. makes lets pour seem reasonable!
    mjshearer1 likes this.
  35. mjshearer1

But hey, if you order $300 worth, shipping is FREEEEE! :rolleyes:
    zencigar likes this.
  36. mjshearer1

37. danwho

danwho Savant (405) California Feb 18, 2010

$16.99 at Whole Foods in La Jolla, (typed with pinky fingers raised and nose tilted slightly up.)

38. Well, I guess it is gone by now.