1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Deschutes Black Butte XXV

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by draheim, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Rish907

Rish907 Aficionado (225) California Jun 14, 2013

I tried it on tap at Haven Gastropub in Orange and was very dissapointed. Very sour notes and to viscous.. Hope the XXIV is better. Have a few bottles in the cellar.
    Pelican5 likes this.
  2. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (500) California Sep 13, 2009

Wait, ok. Slightly sour Black Butte Porter? Sorry Ya'll but thats a win in my book... Picked one up a few days ago and I's finna pick up a few more tomorrow.
  3. On vacation in az and grabbed a bottle at sun devil liquors 14.99 (also got fw succuba 19.99)....both of these are outside my distro area so I ponnyed up without hesitation
    Cubatobaco likes this.
  4. Smw356

Smw356 Zealot (75) Ohio Jan 14, 2013

I assume the sour portion of this was pasteurized pre blending?
  5. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (500) California Sep 13, 2009

It would make sense to prevent further sour character to develop, I personally though the sour was really faint, but you bring up a good point...
  6. gkoz

gkoz Savant (430) Illinois Apr 22, 2013

i've had two bottles and both were good. not the greatest beer ive ever had but it was enjoyable
  7. I just had a bottle to test it with some friends and we all thought the sour was ever so slight. It blended in with the bitter without a problem. I am really looking forward to seeing how it develops with a few years, already grabbed 3 more bottles and hoping to get more directly once it hits TX.
  8. Still available at LetsPour, but there are only 4 left (in this sortie anyway--this is the second time they've had it up there), so if you're having trouble finding it, better get moving.

http://www.letspour.com/deals/949

Still available around Kansas City as well. Saw some last night for $13/ea. If someone was having trouble finding it, send me a note and we could perhaps work out a trade or I could just purchase it for you.

9. Says the dude who clearly didn't read the link he's responding to.

10. This warranted bumping a 3-month old thread?
    Schmittymack, SatlyMalty and m34josh like this.
  11. SatlyMalty

SatlyMalty Initiate (0) Washington Sep 12, 2012

Now it's as fresh as ever!
    EDIT: and the beer's good too.
  12. TTC

TTC Aficionado (110) California Jul 16, 2013

I thought this would be hard to find and scored the last two at Total Wine during its initial release. I still see it once a week at various places for $15.
  13. So cal locations?
  14. TTC

TTC Aficionado (110) California Jul 16, 2013

Yea Southern Cali
  15. Spinaltapped

Spinaltapped Aficionado (170) Iowa Oct 24, 2013

Just found a bottle at the local Hy-Vee actually just now. I'm guessing it was hidden behind a bunch of other bottles, because it was the only one and it was unlisted on the database. Now I just have to have the patience to sit on it for another eight months... :(
  16. It's still all over the place here in Arizona and I actually just bought a XXIV the other day (while leaving another half dozen on the shelf). Deschutes suggests to wait for a year, but XXV is already pretty great right now. All that being said, anyone want an XXIV and XXV?
    Rizalini and dianimal like this.
  17. Spinaltapped

I'd love another XXV, so I can try it fresh(ish) and again in a few months. Might as well grab XXIV while I'm at it as well, I'll pm you.
  18. dfree23

dfree23 Aficionado (110) Texas Dec 1, 2010

I have two of these. I'm not planning on drinking, if someone wants them.
  19. dianimal

dianimal Savant (420) California Apr 18, 2012

I had an XXIV a couple months ago and it was one of the most delicious beers I've had. Yum!!
  20. atomic

atomic Savant (415) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Why is everyone trying to unload these? They were great, and a good value for the money IMO.
  21. WelshBrewer

WelshBrewer Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 17, 2013

I thought this was a great beer, have 5 in the cellar.
    beertunes likes this.
  22. theCoder

theCoder Savant (320) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

I had a XXIV a couple months ago, I think it was ok. XXV however is great right now, XXI is drinking unreal right now. XXIII I haven't had in over a year but it was drinking quite good then (went to a cellared tasting that Deschutes put on where they poured XXI, XXII and XXIII)
  23. Rizalini

Rizalini Savant (345) Nevada Jan 20, 2011

I do, I do!
  24. Spinaltapped

So, if I only have one bottle is it worth having fresh or saving for a few years? Is it worth actively seeking another bottle to do both?
  25. I had the XXV fresh, it was delicious. I've never had any of the black butte anniversaries aged, so I can't comment directly, but I do have a XXIV and XXV I'm sitting on. I'm excited to see how they have developed when I do end up opening them.
  26. nxcess

nxcess Initiate (10) Texas Nov 7, 2013

I had XXIV when I first got into craft beer. Had 6 bottles which I drank within 6 months. Many were shared amongst friends. I'd love to get a hold of some more XXIV. I have some XXV being cellared but they're not as good as the XXIV IMHO.
  27. WelshBrewer

WelshBrewer Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 17, 2013

I would drink one now and seek another or a few others IMHO it is always worth getting a few to see what they will do.
  28. Heretic42

Heretic42 Savant (410) Texas Aug 31, 2011

I'd try to find it on tap and failing that, drink it fresh. If you like it enough, you can seek out another bottle to age. I had it fresh and enjoyed it. The beer will change over time, but aging is certainly not required.