1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Deschutes Chasin' Freshies

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by Reidrover, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Reidrover

Reidrover Advocate (640) Oregon Jan 14, 2003

Just had one right now. I had not been intending to buy because of the lackluster reviews but broke down tonight.
    Have to say this is a very odd IPA..it looked,smelled and tasted more like a robust Pilsner.
    Is this because the bottle is not fresh or did anyone else pick up pilsner tones in this beer?
  2. suncrust

suncrust Savant (295) Washington Apr 17, 2011

Chasin' Freshies is only brewed with Pilsner malts, so it's no surprise that's what you're tasting. I think they were trying to shoot for something like a session IPA- super light bodied, crisp, grassy, and hop forward. Considering the Deschutes fresh hop reputation, unfortunately I think this beer took people off-guard. Poor marketing on their end as it's so different from a conventional IPA.

Maybe marketing this cleverly as a hybrid beer, like a fresh hopped pilsner pale ale or something, it wouldn't have been received so harshly.
    herman77 and flexabull like this.
  3. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Hmmm... I'm not exactly sure I know what a robust pilsner tastes like, however... I had it on tap at the brewpub in PDX last Saturday and I thought it was OK. While nothing mind blowing, it had a decent amount of hoppy bitterness, though I wouldn't have minded if it was a bit less sweet and had a bit more bitterness. I didn't get much wet hop/fresh hop character from it (nor the hop trip, for that matter), but otherwise, I thought it a decent, if somewhat lackluster IPA effort from Deschutes. Frankly, the hop henge and trojan horse IPA are really the only particularly good IPA/DIPA's I've ever had from Deschutes, so my expectations weren't very high. For whatever reason, this doesn't seem to be a style where they excel (IMHO).
    flexabull likes this.
  4. Reidrover

Reidrover Advocate (640) Oregon Jan 14, 2003

Your correct as far as IPA/DIPAs go for Deschutes.
    One good one i remember from like 8 years ago was one called Horseridge IPA i had at the pub in Bend, that was fantastic and i had a few pints, never made it to bottle.
  5. John_M

Invariably, it seems like the PDX brewpub will have two or three "one off" brewpub only IPA's whenever I stop by. Given the quality of almost everything else Deschutes makes, I keep on thinking I need to keep on trying them... that one of these days I'll find something mind blowing there. Hasn't happened yet (though the trojan horse surprised me), and I'll be damned if I can understand why this is such a problem for them. Nearly every brewery or brewpub I encounter in PDX seems to make at least one solid IPA that impresses me, yet for some reason, Deschutes never seems to do it. Last time I was there, the "chasin freshies" was the best IPA beer they had available, but it's still not an IPA I can imagine ever searching out. At any halfway decent beer bar in town, it probably would be at the bottom of my list of IPA's I'd want to try. Not that it matters I guess... they make plenty of other beers that I like, and I really do think the hop henge is pretty outstanding. Ah well...
  6. Completely agree. Really like the recent Hop Henge batches, but I've never been very impressed by Hop Trip or Inversion. Chasing' Freshies was odd, and the Fresh Squeesed IPA I tried the summer in Bend smelled great, but the taste was a bit of a let down.

With all they said, they definitely put out top notch dark beers...
  7. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aficionado (215) Oregon Feb 21, 2012

love hop henge, especially on draft.. come back to me soon.
    Lordkrystic likes this.
  8. Aleforme

Aleforme Savant (305) Washington Nov 26, 2008

I liked Chasin' Freshies I guess. I agree with the Pilsner to some degree but I also thought it reminder me more of a Belgian style IPA.

Not a bad brew by any means but not outstanding to me.
  9. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (690) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

I'd call Red Chair an IPA even if Deschutes and BA don't. (Since when was a 6.4% ABV, 60 IBU beer anything else...)

As far as the pub-only beers, Jedi-PA was pretty darn good.
  10. Red Chair used to be considered an IPA, so yeah, I'm with you on that one.

It's too bad the owner refuses to make it a year-round product.
  11. Not a fan of Chasin' Freshies. Unfortunately for this brew, I had it during an impromptu fresh hop tasting my buddy and I had one night. It was by far the worst of the 5 or 6 that we had that night. I can't remember all of them but think it included Fremont Cowiche Canyon Fresh Hop, Old Schoolhouse Fresh Hop, Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere, Leafer Madness Fresh Hop Imperial Pale Ale and Surly Wet.
  12. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

I continue to be consistently unimpressed with fresh hop beers and especially with Deschutes fresh hop beers. In that respect, Chasin' Freshies was right on with my expectations.
  13. Fremont and Old Schoolhouse knocked it out of the park this year with their fresh hop beers.
    Rutager, Lordkrystic and Lazerlobe like this.
  14. DimensionX

DimensionX Savant (325) Oregon Oct 1, 2010

Agreed. This is a novelty style that I can do without.

The only good fresh hop beer that I had this year was from Breakside and they used dry hops along side the fresh.
    vkv822 likes this.
  15. cavemanlawyer

cavemanlawyer Savant (275) Oregon Dec 7, 2010

Fresh Squeezed IPA was fantastic this year but there were only 3-4 kegs that I heard of. Generally I am let down by most beers from Deschutes that are not part of the Bond Street Series.
  16. kscaldef

Most people are using dried hops for the bittering addition and fresh for flavor and aroma, I think.

I've been seeing two problems with fresh hop beers showing up in the last 2 years.

1) More experimentation with fresh hopping beers outside of the pale ale - IPA - IIPA spectrum. Occasionally this works, but usually it misses.

2) Fresh hop beers that aren't all that fresh. We shouldn't still be buying (or drinking) bottles of fresh-hopped beers. These are now 2 months old. Last year, fresh hop mirror pond was amazing on tap. But, the bottles didn't show up in stores for at least a month after the beer was made and were a significant disappointment. Chasing Freshies has the same problem, I think, although I never tried it on draft.
  17. John_M

I wasn't able to attend any of the fresh hop tasting events in Oregon this year, but in previous years I found a number of what I felt were pretty good fresh hop beers at the events. Killer Green and Killer Red from Double Mountain are usually very, good, and in the past, Vernon the Rabbit Slayer has been incredible. However, as others have mentioned, many of the fresh hop beers were pretty "mehhhh," and so it was no surprise to me (given Deschutes previous track record with IPA's) that Chasin' Freshies, while decent, was nothing to get overly excited about.
  18. DimensionX

DimensionX Savant (325) Oregon Oct 1, 2010

I was at the Portland fresh hop fest and it was a total bummer. I got there at like 2pm and all the good ones were out, no double mountain etc, I had about 4 or 5 seriously meh beers before everything ran out.
    Worst beer fest ever.
  19. goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio Advocate (680) Oregon Jul 13, 2004

John-

Vernon was still available this year, but since the brewer moved to Solera, they had to change the name. I believe it was called 'Kwazy Wabbit' and had all the insane punch of years past. A bit much for me as usual but still a brewing achievement...
  20. I tend to follow the guide between "fresh hop" beers and "wet hop" beers that Sierra Nevada follows. Celebration is a fresh hop beer but not a wet hop beer; in other words, this fresh hop beer used dried hops. Therefore, we could still realistically be drinking fresh hop beers as long as the "fresh" hops were used in the brewing process soon following their harvesting.
  21. kscaldef

Except that that distinction is wrong.

Dried herbs are not fresh herbs.
    Dried fruit is not fresh fruit.
    Dried meat is not fresh meat.
    Dried hops are not fresh hops.

It's unfortunate that a large brewery like Sierra Nevada perpetrates this sort of abuse of language, but they should be called out on it, not mimicked.
  22. From a pure linguistic viewpoint, I tend to agree with you. But I'm satisfied with the distinction that SN and other utilize and understand that some "fresh hop" beers may utilize dried hops from the first fall "fresh" harvest. I'm OK with that.
    flexabull likes this.
  23. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

All the calling out that has been done has more or less fallen on deaf ears, so I think most have given up on that battle.
  24. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

yep it was definitely like a imperial pilsner with some herbal taste.
  25. BC had some stellar fresh hop beers this year ( Sartori by Driftwood, Green Reaper by Phillips , Hoyne, GI fresh hop ESB) and I thought my pint of Deschutes was the wrong beer due to the fruity notes and yes the lager notes as well. Not what I expected from a fresh hop beer
  26. It actually reminded me of Bridgeport's Hop Harvest pilsner, but worse.
  27. Chasin Freshies was okay IMO. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting but it wasn't bad. Port Brewing High Tide fresh hop was really good