1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Deschutes coming to Chicago?!

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by C2H5, Oct 15, 2012.

1. C2H5

C2H5 Savant (435) Illinois Jan 7, 2012

Taken from a recent twitter post from Deschutes brewery:

"That's right Chicago, you're next. You'll be able to kick off the New Year right with a Black Butte Porter in hand."

If this is true this is awesome! Black Butte is a great beer, but I'll be looking for The Abysss!!

TotallyHosed and birchholz like this.
  2. Great news!

3. mcc1654

mcc1654 Savant (355) Illinois Mar 20, 2011

4. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Abyss on shelves?

::unzips pants::

Grohnke likes this.
  5. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

Score.

6. Deschutes is on the shelf now. Picked up Red Chair and Black Butte at Hyvee in Sycamore, IL. I've always enjoyed Deschutes on trips out west, so it is great to have it available close to home now.

7. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Limited release making it to the shelves in Chicago?

Unfortunately, I doubt it.

pschul4 likes this.
  8. Vav

Vav Savant (495) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Abyss will be here next year. The current big bottle is Hop Henge, but in very limited quantities.

9. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

any recommendations that's shelf-y? haven't had anything from them.

jebsinger likes this.
  10. Skull40

Skull40 Savant (250) Indiana Apr 1, 2010

I highly recommend Mirror Pond.

11. how hoppy is that? i prefer less hoppy pales...

12. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Advocate (545) Illinois Nov 26, 2011

The Downers Grove Binnys has the bottles in their craft your own sixer so you can try several in one!!!

stevegoz likes this.
  13. Skull40

I prefer less hoppy ales too. If you like Zombie Dust, I think you will like Mirror Pond.

14. comte70

comte70 Aficionado (105) Illinois Sep 23, 2008

Red Chair, Black Butte, Chainbreaker and Mirror Pond on the floor at the Binnys in Lakeview. Hop Henge in the cooler.

15. Vav

Mirror Pond, Black Butte. Benchmark beers.

o_O

Mirror Pond is a classic American Pale, not pummelingly hoppy, but a great floral and citrus bouquet, clean toasty malt, and a nice dry finish. Zombie Dust is NOTHING like that. AT ALL.

16. Skull40

The difference in listed IBUs is 20, with Zombie Dust being higher. You won't really be able to tell the difference in 20 IBUs. I'm not saying that they are the same beer. I think they are in the same ball park though. I knew I could get someone to make a comment about ZD.

17. ravot

thanks y'all. first is GT Fish and oyster and then sloop's binnys. sorry vav, can help your margin as south is the way home.

18. Vav

You got a comment because you gave horrendous advice.

IBUs are a measure of projected iso-alpha acids in wort. They are usefull for giving a general idea of how bitter a beer is, not whether or not a beer is in "the same ball park." By that rationale, a Double IPA (75-90 IBU) is in the same ballpark as an Imperial Stout (70-90 IBU) which is, of course, ridiculous.

Mirror Pond and Zombie Dust are not in the same ballpark. Or even in the same league. Mirror Pond is a toasty, balanced American Pale Ale hopped with classic hop varieties. Zombie Dust blurs the line between APA and IPA and is extremely hop forward with Citra. One tastes like a classic pale ale, one tastes like a passion fruit.

19. ^thanks for explaining that Vav, I'm trying to get into Pale Ales and so everything I can learn is helpful.
    Also do you at your castle have deschutes yet?

20. marcgo2

marcgo2 Aficionado (235) Illinois Nov 16, 2010

Picked up a mix 6 there of Deschutes, and a hop henge.

Nachos4two likes this.
  21. Vav

Yep, i've got them in. For someone getting into Pale Ales, Mirror Pond would indeed be a good choice as you should generally start with the Classics styles. Also try Sweetgrass by Grand Teton, Bluebird by Conniston, and Pedigree by Marston's.

Benjiehorn and jebsinger like this.
  22. awesome thanks for the heads up i'll be in tomorrow

23. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (400) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

No Obsidian?

24. As a Galenian that lived out in Bend, OR for several years...it's pretty awesome to see Deschutes has made it to Illinois. It's the brewery that got me all caught up in this crazy beer game. It's going to be surreal walking into Family Beer in East Dubuque and picking up a Red Chair 6er and a bomber of Hop Henge!!!

Bend, Oregon...the best place on the planet for craft beer!

25. trbergman

trbergman Savant (450) Illinois Nov 17, 2006

That should be coming later in the year, along with Inversion IPA.

26. chriltz

chriltz Aficionado (185) Illinois Mar 21, 2010

Might have to take a trip to orland park tomorrow to hit up binny's and kenwood on the way home.

27. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (430) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

Also while at binnys don't avoid the new 7.99 six packs of kona!!!!!

28. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (390) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

Grabbed a hop henge today, which ill rip open tmr. stoked for deschutes

29. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Grabbed a Hop Henge today in Algonquin, good shit.

30. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (330) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

Hop Henge is where it's at if your an IPA lover. I've had it on draft and in bottle and so far the Henge is one of my fav Deschutes beers out of all of them.

31. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (865) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

My fianceƩ's grandfather lives in Bend. I'm going to have to raid the brewery the next time we go out there.

32. mjc3151

mjc3151 Aficionado (220) Illinois Apr 8, 2011

Here's hoping Dissident comes to Chicago!

33. ravot

was at marias yesterday. they had woody there and some of brewery reps. they sampled out dissident a few times. oh good god that was great. he said it wasn't coming, due to it being a part of the reserve series. i tell you i tried it two times?

34. I bought a few six packs at a grocery store in south suburban Crete. Red Chair and Black Butte are fantastic! Price was decent to! $8.50 for a six pack I believe. I can't wait to try some of their other brews. I've had Obsidian and cannot wait for this to hit the shelves later this year

35. Black Butte and Mirror Pond are def solid for the price. Amen and welcome to the market. Now if we could only get Abyss or barrel aged Blace Butte...

36. ditka311

ditka311 Aficionado (190) Illinois Aug 22, 2009

This stuff is all over the place now. At 8.99 it's on my list to try tomorrow!

37. DirtyKurt

DirtyKurt Zealot (90) Illinois Jan 12, 2013

Never had anything from this Brewery until I randomly found it at my local grocery store. Red Chair, Black Butte, Chainbreaker and mirror pond. All good with the Porter standing out to me specifically. $8.99 is super reasonable as well.

38. pcstuck

pcstuck Aficionado (135) Illinois Jan 5, 2013

Yup their regular offerings are tasty and reasonably priced. Will be interesting to see how much, if any, of the reserve series chicagoland will get. Guess time will tell

DirtyKurt likes this.
  39. TheSSG

TheSSG Savant (390) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

I found some Black Butte at Logli's in Rockford, in case anyone is West of Suburbia.