1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

deschutes dissident reserve

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mhksuccess, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Well just tried this years for the first time on saturday night and it is good. There is a best after date posted on the side and I figure this beer will age and evolve really well into a much better beer. I have three more bottles which I am sitting on and will tend to wait probably one later this year and then one next year and one the year after. Anybody else try it this year? and if you are sitting on bottles when you would recommend to drink?

2. I opened a bottle last week and thought it was a little one noted. I would open another bottle a year from now and see how it tastes then. I think a year would do wonders for this beer.

3. Haven't tried this year's. The first batch, circa 2008 (I think) was a great fruit-forward Flander's Oud Bruin when fresh, but imo it didn't age terribly well. Several of the bottles I've tried in recent year's got a nasty metallic taste.

The second batch, from 2010, was a boozy beast that was nearly undrinkable fresh. People have told me that it's actually mellowed out a bit and is tasting a bit better, although still not amazing. It's more along the lines of a De Dolle Oerbier Special Reserva.

I haven't tried this most recent batch, but if they ironed out the harshness from the first batch and made it more along the lines of the original, I might have to give it a try.

gueuzehead likes this.
  4. The 2010 version was outstanding fresh, IMO. This is the beer that got me to explore more of this style. The mouthfeel and cherry flavors were the best part of it. I had another a year(?) later and remember it being a little thin. I have not had the 08 or 12 yet. I have an 08 in the cellar and a 12 in the fridge. We shall see...

5. I agree with the other two, it's thin when aged and I prefer it fresh. But half of the fun in "cellaring" is experimenting with it yourself.