1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Deschutes expanding capacity by nearly 50%, no plans to expand distribution

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by hhkal17, Mar 18, 2012.

1. hhkal17

hhkal17 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Jul 10, 2005

2. What a terrible finish to what could have been a great title :(
  3. I get my fill from them every year during Philly Beer Week. I'd love to have them out here full time, but we get so much good stuff out here, no one's going to shed a tear about them not moving in permanently.
  4. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Not so terrible. Those who have can trade with those who have not.
  5. bum732

bum732 Advocate (630) Lesotho Feb 18, 2008

On one hand, i'm disappointed they aren't expanding to my neck of the woods. On the other hand, i'm glad they are not stretching themselves to thin....unlike some other breweries that come to mind.
    MBrausen and EricCioe like this.
  6. Agold

Agold Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Mar 13, 2010

I remember reading that they were going to expand into philly when they had increased capacity from the upgrade, not just for PBW, but permanently.
  7. ****sigh**** why expand? Slowly migrate some of the tasty beer to the East!
    Lantern likes this.
  8. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

Good! I'm hoping I can pick up cases of Black Butte Porter at Costco.
    leedorham and afrokaze like this.
  9. I hope this equals more Abyss.
    Lantern and afrokaze like this.
  10. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

I know a bunch of the brewers, and they have been talking about starting a second operation somewhere further east to help with East Coast distribution. There has been a lot of apprehension though, due to uncertain quality issues. With the new Sierra Nevada brewery in Asheville and New Belgium planning something similar, I think it will urge Deschutes to do the same.
    smutty33 likes this.
  11. TheFlern

TheFlern Savant (385) Idaho May 9, 2009

Hopefully this means greater availability in the states Deschutes already reaches with the same great prices. I expect they'll be phasing out Cascade Ale and replacing it with Chainbreaker. I wonder if/when Red Chair will be going year 'round? Also, hopefully this means we'll be seeing Hop Henge in 12oz bottles and a greater distribution area for Hop Trip.

Also, great news that Widmer is expanding.

In the long run there is only good to be had with excellent small craft brewers getting bigger.
    gkunkle likes this.
  12. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Bummer,big-time......I was told at one point a short while back on facebook that they were working on getting their product out to the east coast......I'd love to see their tasty brews avail. anywhere near the New England area.
    Oh well :confused:
  13. Fine! The east coast didn't want your hipster brews anyway.
    :mad: <---mad face

*crys*
  14. diamondc

diamondc Savant (320) Texas May 30, 2006

Great... now make Red Chair NWPA a year round beer :cool:
    ChaseT likes this.
  15. Do they have a problem keeping their beers on shelves?
  16. LoPo87

LoPo87 Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 9, 2012

Not in Portland they dont...then again I live 2 minutes from the Brewery Public House :)
  17. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

It'll probably be almost all Black Butte and Mirror Pond. Those two are everywhere. I've been to several restaurants where the tap handles look something like Bud, Bud Light, Stella, Guinness, Black Butte Porter.
  18. Bobheed

Bobheed Savant (355) Texas Dec 27, 2010

cases and cases of The Abyss