1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Deschutes/HotD Collage Beer Dinner

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by guajolote, Apr 26, 2012.

1. guajolote

guajolote Savant (415) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

Interesting (and probably delicious!).

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/event/collage-beer-dinner-portland
    http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/event/collage-beer-dinner-bend-pub

This momentous occasion celebrates the release of our collaboration beer with Hair of the Dog Brewing Company. The first beer brewed in our Conflux Series, Collage is comprised of four very distinctive brews - The Dissident, The Stoic, Fred & Adam - each 100% aged in a myriad of barrels ranging from Rye Whiskey, Cognac, & Sherry to Pinot Noir, Bourbon and American Oak.

2. IpeeA

IpeeA Savant (365) Missouri Jan 22, 2010

Ah. Ma. Zing.

3. ggfunk

ggfunk Savant (280) Oregon Mar 29, 2010

Do want.

EDIT: I just don't know if I "$85" want.

4. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (520) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

That's a steep price there.........could put that money towards a case of Collage.

5. guajolote

guajolote Savant (415) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

Honestly, for a five-course, prix fixe dinner with (probably very awesome) beer pairings, it's really not that steep. I went to a few dinners similar to this when I lived in Chicago--with pairings that were nowhere near as good as these--that cost at least $100 per person. I'm not saying that $85 isn't a lot of money for most people to drop on dinner, I'm just saying that for what you're getting, it's a pretty good price.

EricCioe and NWer like this.
  6. pkasten

pkasten Aficionado (220) Oregon Jun 17, 2005

Sam,

We understand that $85 is a lot of money for most of us, but please keep in mind that the price includes tip and that 25% of the $85 is being donated to the Oregon Food Bank, so we're certainly not out to maximize profit on this event. You'd be hard pressed to find a six-course meal of this quality at that price even without your beer and tip included.

7. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

This is true. I love beer pairing dinners, but the ones I've been seeing lately are closer to $200 a ticket. I've seen prices ~$85 twice (and gone to both).

8. Shmeal

I agree...I'm just trying to convince myself not to go. It's going to be a tough one!

guajolote likes this.
  9. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

"Oak Plank Wild Salmon - green garlic gnocchi, morels, brown butter
    Paired with The Stoic (100% aged in a Rye whiskey barrel from Heaven Hill)"

That course especially makes the price of admission look worthwhile Paul. Not particularly a fan of The Dissident, but a 100% rye whiskey barrel aged batch sounds really interesting. Never met a gnocchi I didn't like either. It appears you've outdone yourself.

10. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

Looks awesome. I assume no vegetarian option?

11. Shmeal

Do any of you guys know if tickets are sold out yet? I'm having a hell of a time buying my ticket, no one is answering emails or voicemail over there it seems.

12. F the food ill go opening day on my lunch and snag the 3 beer limit
    A-

13. hopsbreath

If you're "ill" just call in sick to work that day and pound Collage at the pub from open to close!

black13 and ramnuts like this.
  14. Mahlik

Mahlik Aficionado (245) Oregon Aug 21, 2010

Did you end up getting a hold of someone at Wildwood? I called Shelly at Wildwood and bought my tickets yesterday. I think they are about to sell out if they aren't already.

15. Shmeal

Yep, got my ticket yesterday afternoon. She said that there are 9 spots left.

16. LoPo87

LoPo87 Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 9, 2012

I got my seats yesterday as well.

17. Shmeal

Slightly off topic, but I noticed that there is a 3 bottle limit on Collage at the Portland pub. What do you guys think on the chances that Collage will hit the big stores like Fred Meyers? If Collage is distributed anything like Abyss was, making a run at Freddies might be the way to go.

18. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

I'm hoping for a joint release between Michael and Collage at HotD on a Saturday. Especially since I'm out of town on the 15th.

19. LoPo87

The HotD chick I spoke with a week ago told me it would only be released at both brewpubs and Deschutes would get much more than HotD.

Which Saturday is Michael being released? And is there a bottle limit or expected sellout??

20. Sarlacc83

No release date for Michael, yet. It was only blended 2-3 weeks ago.

21. LoPo87

Ahhh...I see now that I cannot read. You said you wish it would be released with Collage on "A" saturday....not just saturday.

22. hopsbreath

I'm going to step out on a limb here and say yes and yes. I hope you have a tent, because that's when the line is going to start.

23. LoPo87

Ahhh so you are saying it will be as serious as Adam Ftw ehh?

24. hopsbreath

Worse. HotD releases in general just seem to draw a bigger crowd with a longer line then the release before. I'm expecting the trend to continue.

25. Sarlacc83

I sincerely hope you're wrong, but I suspect you're not. However, the one thing about Michael is that it doesn't really trade well, and I don't expect that to change, so that might offset some of the crush. Cherry Adam and Matt 2010 were practically barren releases, as well, so here's hoping Adam FTW was the outlier because of its mammalian reputation.

26. Danner316

Danner316 Disciple (55) Washington Mar 19, 2011

Deschutes said they were distributing very limited quantities and IIRC Malt & Vine in Redmond said their Deschutes rep said they would be getting one case.

As for the dinner, I'm looking forward to heading down from Seattle. I am a bit bummed that my DD has to pay the full price, but more beer for me!

27. hopsbreath

I won't be wrong if I'm the one in a tent! ;)

28. called out of town for work on the 14th, can't make the dinner now... :(

29. Danner316

Danner316 Disciple (55) Washington Mar 19, 2011

If any of you need a spot, or know someone who would like a spot, I've had one open up. Just get in touch via beermail and we'll set something up.

30. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

I'm going to Bend this weekend.....one week too early! NOOOOOooooooooo.......

31. gklover1

gklover1 Savant (255) Colorado Oct 18, 2009

Any chance a lowly CO boy can hook up a trade on this thread?

ISO: COLLAGE!!!!!!! (Pls BM if you would...:oops:)

32. I'll be in the Bend the weekend after... wonder if it will still be around...

33. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aficionado (215) Oregon Feb 21, 2012

A little off subject, but it looks like this will be brewery only releases? Will none see distribution to the bottle shops around pdx?

34. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

I think it's going to see distribution. It'll be very limited, though. 99 Bottles in Federal Way has said that they expect to get some.

35. pkasten

pkasten Aficionado (220) Oregon Jun 17, 2005

36. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Very tempting - main logistical hurdle getting to Fairfield Inn at airport afterward. Is a cab best choice?

37. oregonskibum

oregonskibum Savant (430) Oregon Mar 14, 2009

What an incredible experience. I think my favorite beer was the Dissident and the best plate was the 1 1/2 inch slab of melt-in-your-mouth "bacon". And for those who questioned the value, the special surprise pour at the end of the evening put any doubt aside. They announced batch #1 Adam, but I also heard it was a batch #1 Fred based on the actual bottle opened, which would make more sense given the taste. And just as rare.

Either way, Wildwood, HotD and Deachutes did a great job putting together the event. One of the most memorable beer events this year.

djbreezy likes this.
  38. oregone

oregone Savant (375) Oregon Jul 2, 2008

39. hopsbreath

A fifteen year old beer as an 'extra'? :eek: Ballin'!

40. teddyarrowhead

teddyarrowhead Savant (330) Oregon Oct 23, 2009

It was indeed Fred batch #1. I asked one of the waiters if I could have a bottle to take home, and if not, just to see it to take a picture. After bringing one out that just had 'Fred' on it, our table insisting that that the label should have 'Adam' instead, cavemanlawyer noticed the #1 under the 'Fred', brought it to Alan's attention, and he made the announcement.

Regardless, what a phenomenal dinner all around. Cooking/serving that salmon on staves from the barrels the beers were aged in was a brilliant touch. I managed to put mine in my camera bag before they retrieved the plate - that'll go on a shelf and will surely be a Q&A piece and a reminder of that total deliciousness for years to come.

[​IMG]

djbreezy likes this.