Deschutes to start Canning

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by litheum94, Mar 16, 2013.

1. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

2. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Champion (870) Michigan Aug 29, 2012 Verified

This is GREAT news. I'm a little surprised they wouldn't start with their summer seasonal Twilight, but who cares. I love me some canned craft beer.

3. jesskidden

jesskidden Champion (825) New Jersey Aug 10, 2005 Subscriber

:rolleyes: (I guess "Digital Marketing Managers" aren't what they used to be...)

The label and TTB COLA (made out by Cold Spring dba as Third St.) sure read like a traditional contract brewing arrangement - even though an AP is more of a legal technicality based on ownership of raw materials and final beer, rather than any implication of "quality" or "who brews it".

[​IMG]

Bitterbill likes this.
  4. williamjbauer

williamjbauer Champion (830) West Virginia Jan 17, 2012 Verified

I'd love to know the cost comparision for breweries on canning vs the bottling line approach

5. jesskidden

jesskidden Champion (825) New Jersey Aug 10, 2005 Subscriber

Well, in this case, the cost of the line itself isn't relevant (since it's Cold Springs') but as for the savings on the actual container, in this newspaper article (third paragraph from bottom) brewmaster Bill Moore of Lancaster Brewing Co., which brews at The Lion says:
    and goes on to note that packaging is also less expensive (simple boxes [or plastic rings] rather than sixpack baskets, trays rather than closed cases, etc).

Bluecane and Chaz like this.
  6. As a fan of both Deschutes and Third Street I am excited for both parties. Can't wait for these and other DB lables to roll out in cans.

7. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,345) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002 Verified

8. Stevedore

Stevedore Poobah (1,045) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012 Verified

Awesome. I want some canned Black Butte to take on a nice spring/fall backpacking trip. I'd usually prefer a nice porter/stout at the campfire. Especially if I was camping out in a place like Bend.

9. chimneyjim

chimneyjim Savant (280) Oregon Jun 23, 2004 Subscriber

I'd prefer that Deschutes do their canning in-house. Not impressed by 21st Amendment's brews coming from Cold Springs.

10. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

Not impressed by cans at all ether bottle or keg it too many bad chemicals with cans look all the bad stuff they use for liners those of you who don't believe me I don't buy cans anymore not worth it

11. CurtFromHershey

CurtFromHershey Advocate (505) Minnesota Oct 4, 2012 Verified

I see you have taken to avoiding punctuation in addition to BPA.

12. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

He drank beer from a can one time and it completely destroyed his ability to use commas and periods. Sad tale.

Ungertaker and CurtFromHershey like this.
  13. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (515) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

14. raynmoon

raynmoon Advocate (600) California Aug 13, 2011 Verified

I have a hard time believing the eco-friendly Sierra Nevada/ New Belgium would knowingly give us harmful products just to increase profit.

having said this, It tastes the same out of both packages, and cans are much lighter and more portable: win.

15. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (610) Washington Dec 13, 2011 Verified

If they can Abyss, I will be buying a case of it next year!

16. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (735) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

They're in good company.
    [​IMG]