1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Deschutes Year round Offerings

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by Flyway, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Flyway

Flyway Zealot (85) Wisconsin Oct 22, 2012

I'm going to be on vacation over the holidays, where Deschutes is distributed. This will be the first opportunity for me to try some of their beers. Of their year round releases, please suggest 2 that I really need to try.
  2. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Black Butte Porter or Obsidian for one of your picks and Mirror Pond for the other. If you spot Red Chair grab that in place of the Mirror Pond. That way you can make a Black and Tan if that's your thing.
    exitmusic00 likes this.
  3. Flyway

Thanks. I know that I'll be limited in time and am not sure what will be available as far as being able to purchase singles, etc.

I think I was leaning toward your thought process (try Porter/Stout and a Pale Ale), but wanted to get a better idea of the 2 or so I should seek out. I have seen some great things about the Red Chair though, so if that's available, I'll have to grab. Thanks again.
  4. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Second Black Butte Porter and Mirror Pond Pale. Black Butte is the quintessential example of the style of porter imo, and Mirror Pond is very solid as well.
  5. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Definitely Black Butte and Obsidian. Black Butte is the porter that I judge all other porters by, I know that might not really be fair, but for me Black Butte is porter perfection. Jubelale is also a really nice holiday beer.
  6. Black Butte definitely. Obsidian is not as easy to find as some of the other year round offerings, in my experience. Jubelale is good too, although not year round.
  7. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

Exactly where you will be visiting might help determine what beers are available, and also how fresh....If everything is available, then:

1) Black Butte Porter
    2) FRESH Red Chair (but isn't usually out for another month)
    3) Abyss (depends on location)
    4) Obsidian Stout
    5) Mirror Pond
  8. Flyway

I will be on Maui end of December through 1st week of January. Deschutes and Ballast Point are a few of the breweries I am excited to dabble in, seeing as neither is available in WI. That's why I'll be a bit limited... trying those as well as Maui Brewing will keep me busy enough! It will be interesting to see what distribution/freshness is like out there. Thanks for the list!
  9. definitely try the MAUI coconut porter very nice
    the obsidian and black butte always taste pretty much the same quality as for me i think i prefer the obsidian
    definitely try to get some of the non-yearly brews as everything is pretty good
    they just came out with the jolly rodger barley wine
    and if you like sours the dissident reserve but limited quantities
    doubt you will find any ABYSS but this is by far the best beer they put out on a yearly basis
    good luck
  10. Coconut porter is great!
  11. jgrgas

jgrgas Aficionado (205) Oregon Feb 10, 2006

Woah. How has Chainbreaker not been mentioned. I absolutely love this beer as did the judges at this year's GABF.
  12. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (265) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Say hey to Buck at the Maui Brewing taproom. Definitely a guy to have a conversation with. The Maui brews are so much better on site.
  13. Flyway

I'll have to remember that one... shouldn't forget that name. I have been looking forward to making it out to MBC for a while now since we booked, but am excited to get down on some other breweries as well (hence this thread). The only "problem" is that I am 1 of 6 of my family heading out, and no one else enjoys the craft brews quite like myself... which limits my liver's ability to try a lot of variety other than at the brewery.
  14. I am not a fan of Deschutes' year round offerings. If there's one of their beers I might pick up in a pinch (or if it's super cheap on sale), it's Obsidian Stout.

As an aside, my family took a little mini-vacation to downtown Portland over this past weekend and we had dinner at the pub on Saturday night. Both my wife and I were highly disappointed in the selection - no Abyss, no Black Butte XXIV, no Dissident. While there were (as always) a number of one-offs, nothing blew our hair back. The Fresh Squeezed IPA was OK but I've had this before and it wasn't much different than the Experimental IPA version that had on tap.

Higgins turned out to be much more satisfying a few hours earlier --- where I had Pliny and St. Bernardus Christmas on tap.
  15. Flyway

I would definitely like the opportunity to try some Russian River, but unfortunately I'll be a little limited on Maui. I think MBC, Deschutes, and Ballast Point will be the main ones I sample.
  16. honkduh

honkduh Savant (305) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

The whole foods near the airport has a small but decent beer selection. I got sculpin & big eye there. That was the only place I saw ballast point. Monkey Pod has a decent but pricey taplist.
  17. Flyway

I have seen the website for Monkey Pod. Looks like it would be a great place to check out too, but as you said... maybe only for 1 or 2. Thanks for the heads up on the Ballast Point selection though. I will check out Whole Foods in Kahului.