Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine and select auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Belgium Destinations between Maastricht and Brussels?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by atomeyes, Nov 27, 2012.

1. I'm likely going to Maastricht for business in May. Thinking I'll extend my trip and head to Brussels for a day or so.
    Just wondering what breweries you'd suggest (or towns) that are between Brussels and Masstricht?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Bierman9

Bierman9 Poobah (1,070) New Hampshire Dec 20, 2001 Verified

Not sure about what's between, but in Maastricht itself I'd recommend, in this order, Cafe Frape, Pothuiske, Knijnspiep, then Take One....

3. thanks for the reply.
    can you let me know why you recommend each of these places? i'm in Maastricht for business so I'm not sure how much pub time i'll have.
  4. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (515) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

There's always Achelse Kluis, but other than that Limburg is pretty much beer wasteland. There's supposed to be a really good beer store in Zonhoven called Marlou. I hear they still stock some pretty sought-after beers.
  5. Bierman9

They all have a great selection, with Frape likely the best, imo. Service is A-1 at the first three; Take One has a surly, opinionated owner, and they allow smoking there (ugh!). Frape and Pothuiske are a stones throw from each other.... and just over the pedestrian bridge in the old town. I have beerfly reviews here if you want more info...

6. If you wanted to head a bit further south, I know Fantome is in Soy and Rochefort is in, well, Rochefort. Haven't been to either of those, but love Fantome beers and Rochefort speaks for itself.

Anyone been to those brouwerij's and know if its worth a visit?
  7. Bierman9

Well, you could always head NNW to Tilburg and the La Trappe/Koningshoeven Brewery, then go SW and stop at Brouwerij De Dochter van de Korenaar in Barle-Hertog. After, hit a great little store called De Bierschuur in Poppel, Belgium. Continue on to Antwerp and the Kulminator!