Detroit-based Atwater Brewery to expand to Texas

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by mittenbrew, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mittenbrew

mittenbrew Initiate (0) Aug 15, 2011 Michigan

From MittenBrew.com:

Detroit’s Riverfront brewery, Atwater Brewery, has plans to undergo a large expansion. But it’s just not in Michigan — Atwater is expanding its operations to Texas.
    In the past year the brewery, located on Joseph Campau has doubled their capacity and added six fermenting tanks. It also now fully owns the entire building on Joseph Campau and have big plans for its future.
    Read the full story here.

2. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

For some reason, this reminded me of Big Buck brewery. They had a place in TX for a while. ;-)

steebo777 likes this.
  3. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

I like some Atwater brews OK. Texas needs some breweries.

4. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

I'm sorry Texas.

5. elNopalero

elNopalero Grand Pooh-Bah (4,568) Oct 14, 2009 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

archiebunkerjr likes this.
  6. AlienSwineFlu

AlienSwineFlu Savant (1,135) Dec 14, 2012 Ohio

Surprised at the dislike of Atwater. I tend to like their products.

7. core42

core42 Pooh-Bah (1,826) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I always try to support MI beers but I just don't like Atwater. I keep trying almost everything they put out but I keep ending up underwhelmed

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  8. APBT91

APBT91 Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2013 North Carolina

its funny, ive never heard of this brewery untill yesterday when the manager at my bottle store gave me some of their beers for free. He told me he really didnt like them but wanted another opinion and since im a regular and i was there at the time he gave me some of the ipa, a blueberry beer i think, and a stout. still havent tried them yet..

DWheeler379 likes this.
  9. FrankHammer

FrankHammer Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2013 Michigan

They really don't do much well. If, by some miracle, that stout is the VJ Black, then you lucked out. That is literally the only beer I've had of there's that I would rate above a 3. Maybe that Blueberry Cobbler you got, but it doesn't do much for me as far as fruit beers go.

10. APBT91

APBT91 Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2013 North Carolina

i cant think of which it was, i will have to check when i get off work. i havent tried anything from them before.

11. AlienSwineFlu

AlienSwineFlu Savant (1,135) Dec 14, 2012 Ohio

I'm a fan of their VJ Black and Vanilla Porter. I think Decadent Dark Chocolate is decent.

MgoJohnStamos likes this.
  12. schepelz

schepelz Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2013 Michigan

I'm with kzoo on this one, never found a beer of there's I liked. All of them I've tried have tasted like a watered down version of it's intended style of beer.

archiebunkerjr likes this.
  13. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,291) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

Thanks for being the guinea pig for me. I too like to support Michigan breweries, and it's been probably 5 years since I last tried any beers from Atwater and I've been wondering if I'm missing anything after hearing a few favorable comments about their beers. But your post tells me that I'm not missing a thing. Thanks for your efforts. :slight_smile:

14. lurpy1

lurpy1 Savant (1,053) Jan 15, 2010 Minnesota

VJ Black is the only Atwater beer I'd rate beyond mediocre, and even then, Atwater calls it a "huge imperial stout". No. Thinnest stout I've ever had. VJ Porter is just a train wreck but could be much more. Unfortunately it's in nearly every MI bar I've been to, so they probably aren't motivated to improve it given the acceptance it already has.

15. Can_has_beer

Can_has_beer Initiate (0) May 14, 2013 Texas

Well, Texas does have some breweries...but what Texas definitely needs is higher quality breweries, and more adventurous breweries. The quality here is way under what you would expect to get in the Midwest or Northeast. Karbach, Lone Pint and Deep Ellum are off to a good start, and Jester King is doing really well...but Buffalo Bayou, No Label, Saint Arnold's and a few smaller breweries are constantly releasing disappointing beers.

Beer-Zombie likes this.
  16. Kerrie

Kerrie Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2012 Michigan

The Vanilla Java Porter is all I really care about of theirs, and even then, there are way better MI porters. Hopefully the better MI breweries expand at some point.

17. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Oh, I know Texas well. Atwater may shine in The Lone Star State, but just for a while. Texas brewing will burst forth, surely, but other political battles must and will happen first. I have two first cousins- one in Dallas, one in Austin- so our conversations are lively, always. Something beyond "Old Texas" is afoot. We shall see.

18. Can_has_beer

Can_has_beer Initiate (0) May 14, 2013 Texas

God, I hope you are right. Cheers!

19. nsheehan

nsheehan Savant (1,182) Jul 3, 2011 Texas
    Trader

Good to know, I won't bother picking Atwater up. I wasn't planning to any way, I had a feeling about them.

:confused:
    St. Arnold and Real Ale are the biggest real craft in TX and some what they do is great (I think Real Ale is better than SA). There are a bunch of average breweries (e.g. No Label), but I think there are more breweries turning out great product occasionally than you give credit for. I'm guessing you're not in Austin because 512, Austin Beerworks, and Hops & Grain get a lot of love from beer geeks (more than I think is fitting for now). I guess we'll agree to disagree.

MetalGearHops likes this.
  20. alexanf

alexanf Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2012 Mississippi

Ha! Drove past that on 75 many times. Threw me back for a second.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.