Detroit-based Atwater Brewery to expand to Texas

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by mittenbrew, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2013 Michigan

Wish we were sending you guys Bell's. At least we have Founders down there to represent Michigan.

2. steebo777

steebo777 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

Not a fan of Atwater at all. I really wish they would focus on better beer and not expansion.

3. dgherm

dgherm Initiate (0) May 29, 2005 Pennsylvania

Been a few years since I've had an Atwater product, wasn't impressed.

4. GRPunk

GRPunk Pooh-Bah (1,767) Apr 5, 2007 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

Teufel Bock and Voodoovator stand out as solid brews. Most of their other stuff just seemed "ok." I've had better, but you could do a lot worse. Cough, cough, Schmohz.

5. Morakaton

Morakaton Initiate (0) May 6, 2013 Michigan

Sorry Texas, we promise you that the thin, tastless murky water of Atwater does not represent Michigan beer as a whole ;P

archiebunkerjr likes this.
  6. Lutter

Lutter Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas
    Deactivated

Carpetbaggers!

And anyone who says Texas doesn't have good breweries needs to shut their mouth and come here. We've got plenty of world class beer... the vast majority just isn't exported, is regional or is draft-only.

Also, this should be in the Southwest forum. Texas isn't allowed to be mentioned in "Beer News"

javlin624, Ford, MCain04 and 2 others like this.
  7. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Pooh-Bah (1,904) Apr 3, 2006 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah

Decadent Chocolate is like a chocolate soda. Really good if that's what you're in the mood for.

8. Can_has_beer

Can_has_beer Initiate (0) May 14, 2013 Texas

I've tried most of the beers that those Austin breweries put out, and I like what they do. I wish I could find 512 in bottles or cans or bombers though. I think those breweries get a lot of love from beer geeks because they have the best of what to offer in Texas, but they are far from being able to hold a candle to Midwest breweries.

9. HurricaneDitka

HurricaneDitka Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2011 Michigan

Shaman's Porter, brewed with grains grown upside down in zero gravity while circling the earth at 12 times the speed of sound, with water blessed by no less than 3 popes and then used to bathe Jim Koch, and finally aged in 500 year old french tierçons. It still tastes like ass.

10. Neverdie7

Neverdie7 Zealot (510) Jun 7, 2008 Wisconsin

Stopped buying Atwater years ago when they were putting the wrong beer into bottles (bought voodoo vator and got spewing cheery stout instead) and they refused to even answer my correspondence. Any company that does business like that can kiss my ass!

Even provided pictures of the beer spewing out the top of the bottles in my sink that were labeled voodoo vator but the beer was the cherry stout when they had the spewing problem. Atwater sucks!

DWheeler379 likes this.
  11. Chaz

Chaz Grand Pooh-Bah (3,544) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Careful! You might have people looking for the latest collaboration with Lagunitas. :grinning:

12. nsheehan

nsheehan Savant (1,182) Jul 3, 2011 Texas
    Trader

Lagunitas collaborated w/ a brewery that no one likes?

13. johnnnniee

johnnnniee Grand Pooh-Bah (4,642) Feb 28, 2007 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I too bought Cherry Stout that poured itself after opening, although mine was labeled correctly. Someone at the company offered via email to send me a replacement six pack, but eventually stopped responding to my emails too and of course never sent anything. I guess I should consider myself lucky, at one point they had bottles of this beer that were exploding in transit, and at retail. Injuries and lawsuits followed.

freaux likes this.
  14. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops Initiate (0) May 11, 2013 Michigan

lol, I see a lot of that around GR collecting dust...does anyone buy it?

15. Morakaton

Morakaton Initiate (0) May 6, 2013 Michigan

Schmohz is one of the only breweries I know that would honestly call an American Dark Wheat Ale an Oktoberfest (it should be illegal to not call anything that's both in the Marzen style and a LAGER an Oktoberfest). And Hop Knocker is horrible.

16. GRPunk

GRPunk Pooh-Bah (1,767) Apr 5, 2007 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

I have no idea how anybody could be a repeat buyer. I get that some might buy a sixer on a whim due to the cartoon boobs on their labels. But after drinking it, you're just setting yourself up to get fooled twice.

17. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Wow. How about creek dirt liquified, fermented with tadpole and crawfish "essence"? A special brew named after a yet to be named landmark. Damn, what's the name? Something circus or carnivally?

Morakaton likes this.
  18. papat444

papat444 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2006 Canada (QC)

19. tommyz

tommyz Initiate (0) May 28, 2007 Michigan

This just amazes me...

20. jiggidy

jiggidy Pundit (975) Dec 18, 2013 Michigan

Kwame? Atwater has a couple ok beers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.