1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

DFH ApriHop recipes

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by GFG, Jan 29, 2013.

1. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

Been thinking of a fruit beer to brew for the spring season and I've never had the ApriHop before since it's not distributed anywhere near me, but it sounds pretty awesome. Does anyone here have any recipes for this that you've tried or have heard are good? Seems pretty tough to find clones of this online so I was hoping somebody here could help me out.
  2. kneary13 likes this.
  3. GFG

I'll start looking to see if there's any Pilsner DME around incase that is what it calls for.

I knew I should have bought that book haha. If you or someone else could eventually post the recipe from the book in here that would be greatly appreciated.
  4. From Mitch Steele's IPA : (thanks to DeutschesBier)
    83% Pils
    8% Carapils
    7% C-65
    2% Amber Malt
    English Ale yeast
    apricot puree .25 oz/gal
    Amarillo dryhops .40 oz/gal
    Bitter with Warrior, Simcoe and Amarillo (DFH continuous...further details pg.251-252)
  5. "apricot puree .25 oz/gal"

This does not seem like much. Is this correct?
  6. That's what it says, but it does seem low (.48#/bbl or 1.9 g/L also)
    I estimated 10#/5 gal batch in my original reply...but that was fresh apricots...still seems low
  7. When I first read the recipe, I thought it seemed low, too. But Aprihop has a very, very subtle Apricot character. So subtle that sometimes I even wonder if it's there at all, or my mind is playing tricks.
  8. Hmm... I wonder how this would taste as a 100% Brett beer. This may be my early March brew.
  9. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (695) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

I remember thinking this when I read the book. Maybe a typo? Apricot extract instead of puree? Apricot concetrate?
  10. Wow, I kept reading that in my mind as "0.25lb / gallon" and that seemed low!
  11. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (695) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

The one time I found this beer in n. WI I really dug it. This thread inspired me to get this beer today on the way home from work: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/113/79544

I'm enjoying now. Not the same hop presences as Aprihop, but a nice, sourish apricot ale.
  12. GFG

1.25 oz of Apricot seems really low for a 5 gallon batch.
    How much of the Warrior, Simcoe and Amarillo do I use and what are the further details? Does it have the boil times for the different hops?
  13. GFG

I actually just had that on Saturday night. First time ever having a Samuel Smiths. Definitely going to look into more now.
  14. I'm thinking DFH never does anything the normal way...the more I think about it, if I was making an IPA with fruit, I don't think I would use a lot either.