DFH Burton Baton and DH Double Crooked Tree

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by myersk27, Jan 24, 2013.

1. myersk27

myersk27 Savant (410) Indiana Oct 21, 2011

was going through my beer fridge and stumbled across a single bottle of DFH Burton Baton from 3/2012 and last years Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree. The bottles both say "ages well" but am wondering what people's experience has been with these beers as they age so that I may be prepared for what to expect? Loved them both fresh so was a little bummed to find them stashed away.....

2. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (835) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Well Burton Baton is already barrel-aged, so more age definitely won't hurt it any - you won't have to worry about it losing it's "main" characteristics like you would a regular D/IPA. I'm assuming DCT will start to lose hop characteristics and turn more into a spicy barleywine, thanks to the malt bill.

Haven't had DCT aged but I've had an 18 month old Double Trouble and that's how it turned out. Actually pretty tasty, but still much better fresh. Give it a shot - they're already "old", so what've you got to lose?

3. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

Turn on #41, crack them open and find out!

sholle and myersk27 like this.
  4. Kmccabe33

Kmccabe33 Savant (425) Georgia Nov 4, 2011

Burton Baton is quite good with age, mellows out nicely with age, but I also love it fresh. Had an '09 back in the fall and it was stellar.

5. yeah, those beers aint getting any younger. Drink em!
    The Burton should be fine.
    DCT I dunno, I've never had one, but the regular Crooked Tree sux

6. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Both should be fine. DCT will be vastly different than it is fresh. This beer is sort of the post child for "IPA's that turn into barleywines over time."

Also, regular Crooked Tree is a perfectly fine beer.

BoneyardBrewer and tectactoe like this.
  7. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (835) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

I agree, Crooked Tree is a damn fine IPA. And it's different enough from Two Hearted and Centennial to keep me coming back to it every so often.

8. myersk27

myersk27 Savant (410) Indiana Oct 21, 2011

thanks for the input everyone....i think i will enjoy them soon....

9. jlenik

jlenik Savant (435) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

I had a 2007 Burton Baton last year and it was amazing!

10. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

I had a 2009 and 2010 Burton Baton a few months ago and I didn't care for either of them.

11. Burtons are incredible with age, apricot flavor recedes and turns into a more toffee/raisin flavor. DCT turns into a great barleywine.

12. Rocklaunch

Rocklaunch Initiate (0) Virginia Nov 9, 2007

I love burton aged.

13. C20Percent

C20Percent Savant (325) Virginia Aug 24, 2011

I've only had DCT with some age on it -- probably between 6 and 8 months, and I was pleasantly surprised that it drank so well.

14. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (675) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

Just had a DFH BB from the latter part of '11 and it was fantastic!!

15. LMT

LMT Savant (340) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

Sorry for the old thread bump, but I didn't want to start a new one.

I'm drinking a 6-month old Burton Baton right now and all I can say is...wow!

So smooth, more "scotch-like" qualities than fresh. I guess there are some imperial/double IPAs that age wonderfully. I wish I would have aged the entire 4-pack.

16. I will only drink Burton Baton aged...it's like 100% different than fresh. Put 2-3 years on BB and enjoy!