1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

DFH Olde School Barleywine

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Rizalini, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Rizalini

Rizalini Savant (345) Nevada Jan 20, 2011

On the side of the bottle, it tells you that you can put the bottle in a plastic bag, dig a hole in the forrest, and leave it there for a year. After a year, dig it up and enjoy.

Just wondering if anyone has actually done that, and if so, what were the results?

2. tennispl

tennispl Initiate (0) Washington Dec 28, 2012

If it does I'd better start buying land for cellaring.

3. alamode

alamode Savant (330) Massachusetts Mar 25, 2007

I remember a video of Mitch from Stone suggesting to dig a hole about 5 feet deep for best cellaring conditions. I imagine you would get results similar to "cave aging".

4. rlee1390

rlee1390 Savant (470) Indiana Mar 6, 2010

I've cellared it regularly, how to operate a shovel is beyond me, but after a year it gets a lot better.

jaIsPoAn and Cinephile like this.
  5. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

Digging a hole right now next to my garage. Update in 364 days.

6. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (520) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Wife annoyed enough with a closest full of beers, now huge holes in the back yard...

7. Easier to hide your habit that way !

8. I guess if you have a yard it would be a cheap, space saving way to cellar. It would just be a pain in the ass to dig up. Imagine you get a crazing for barleywine in January and then having to dig through the frozen ground to enjoy your favorite beers. I think I'll stick to my beer fridge.

9. BeastLU

Yeah or smashing the bottle with your shovel.

HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  10. ....Or losing your treasure map and digging up Scruffy instead.

RyanCave, HighWine and BeastLU like this.
  11. BeastLU

15 paces from the edge of the deck, towards the setting sun at 6pm on the summer solstice, 5 feet down. You will find an 08 BCBS and you neighbors cut cable line.

RyanCave, tronto, DIM and 1 other person like this.
  12. Now where did i bury that 07' ... backyard looks like this. [​IMG]

13. LOCAL

LOCAL Savant (315) New Hampshire Oct 29, 2006

I just had a 2007 and a 2012 side by side. This is one that truly shows the wonders of what aging can do for a beer. The 07 was rich, malty, and outstanding. A true treat to drink. The 2012 was more like paint thinner.

14. MykelJH

MykelJH Savant (290) California Aug 3, 2011

Agreed. Fresh is gross. Ages with 5-7 years = awesomeness

davey101 likes this.
  15. JTDay

JTDay Aficionado (125) Georgia Jan 28, 2013

Sam Calagione is actually the one who makes that suggestion.

16. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

agreed. i gave fresh olde school a 1.5~ or so and compared it to cheap vodka with grape juice. i had 5~6 year old olde school at the rehoboth brewpub and thought it was one of the deepest and most satisfying barleywines i'd ever had.

haven't dug a hole yet, but i wouldn't be surprised if such a place is where they got that old bottle from at the pub. as a sidenote, highly recommend the rehoboth pub. so laid back down there... love the atmosphere, and some of their one off beers are excellent. i'd like to spend a few weeks there just writing fiction, getting drunk, lounging on the beach.

17. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

I had an '05 Olde School from a keg in August 2012. It was impressive enough that I've never contemplated drinking it fresh.

davey101 likes this.
  18. Gotti311

Gotti311 Advocate (580) Wisconsin Mar 22, 2009

I had one fresh earlier this year and was completely unimpressed. I was actually a little bummed out I spent this much on a 4 pack. Glad I came along this thread, can't wait to age the two bottles I have left for half a decade or so.

19. I dug a five foot deep hole last year on St. Patty's Day, put my girlfriend and a four pack of Olde School in it. Can't wait to see how they held up.

20. corkncage

corkncage Disciple (60) Virginia Mar 12, 2013

Rizalini likes this.
  21. I didn't respond to this thread because I didn't think this could possibly be a serious question. Way to prove me wrong, BA.

22. I didn't dig a hole, but I had a 2010 and 2012 side by side recently and much preferred the 2012. For my palate, the 2-year mark was a really strange period. I'm interested to see what they do with close to 5 years on them.

23. corkncage

corkncage Disciple (60) Virginia Mar 12, 2013

Next BeerDig is 3/24 ,if your in Richmond ,Va come join us for year 11...i think We will probably be waxing all the bottles this year.

24. After my daughter was born me and a buddy buried 2 old schools in my backyard. Definitely not 5 ft but we were lucky to have a mild winter. We dug them up in October the night of her first birthday. The beer was fantastic but no better than the ones I aged in my house. It is a funny story to tell over beers though.

25. YoDude

YoDude Aficionado (170) Illinois Nov 21, 2008

I had one of my vintage 2011 a few months ago and it was a little to boozy. I agree that this beer needs a few years to mellow and round out. Put away the shovel for a few years.

26. I've never buried my beers or anything, but I did get to have a pour of, I believe 2003 Olde School (it was in a 750 mL) a couple years ago and it was absolutely fantastic. I think this one smooths out a little bit quicker than WWS, but they're both great beers once you get to 5 years or more of age.

27. grumpy

grumpy Savant (405) Missouri May 24, 2005

If I'm going to the effort of digging a hole, there's a bunch of people I could throw in there.....

Hey - burying beer is the answer for all the people who "cellar" beer and don't have a cellar. Just don't break the bottles with the shovel blade when you unearth them. It seriously is a legit technique if you want to deal with it.

28. RyanCave

RyanCave Savant (475) Oregon Apr 13, 2011

damn! i missed it!

29. RyanCave

I feel like if you put

I feel like you could get a box or something hard to put the bottles in so IF you hit it with the shovel it won't break.

I'm moving pretty soon so I can't now, but once I get where I'm going I'm absolutely digging my cellar, too groovy to not :)

30. grumpy

grumpy Savant (405) Missouri May 24, 2005

Well, your name is Cave, after all...

RyanCave likes this.
  31. RyanCave

Well played sir.. :)

32. je1129

je1129 Aficionado (220) Iowa Feb 22, 2011

Sheet of plywood over the top would help the digging up issue. Frost can get pretty deep in my neck o' the woods don't think I like the risk of being to shallow, or the effort of being low enough.