1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

DFH WWS worth $207 a case?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by waddellc2, Jan 15, 2013.

1. waddellc2

waddellc2 Savant (410) Pennsylvania Aug 23, 2012

Have a chance to get a case of DFH World Wide Stout for $207

My question is: IS this too much money to spend on one case of beer??

I have never spent over $125
  2. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

For that beer specifically... yes. Not worth it.
  3. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

Do you like it? Do you want to drink/age that much of it?

WWS doesn't have huge interest in trade forum (although I'm sure there are people who will want it), so I would have a plan to drink it if you were going to buy it. Maybe split with some friends?
    waddellc2 likes this.
  4. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

I long for the day when people can make their own decisions.

It's the "going rate" so if you're on the fence, why not just buy a partial case?
  5. waddellc2

waddellc2 Savant (410) Pennsylvania Aug 23, 2012

I do love the beer, just feel particualry guilty spending that much on a case of beer. I would love to split it with someone. I dont have any beer obsessed friends as crazy as I am I guess
  6. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Idk about a whole case, though you would be saving some money by doing that. Guess it depends how much you like that beer. Just please make sure you have tried it first, so you aren't like that guy who bought a whole case of Hopslam and then came here to complain about how his taste buds weren't like the average BA.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

$8.65 a bottle is a good deal, so assuming you like the beer, yes it is worth it. Beer ages well so you could drink it over a long period of time.
    Bitterbill, huysmans and waddellc2 like this.
  8. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

Just buy the case in "installments" then. It's not like there's much of a difference in price anyways.
  9. Can you post a pdf copy of your 2011 IRS 1040? That'd be a critical aspect in answering the question if it's "too much money" for you to spend on beer.
  10. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

If you really like the beer a lot and have a decent chunk of money to burn I guess. It wouldnt be worth it for me, guess it all depends on the individual.
  11. FTowne

FTowne Initiate (0) Missouri Jan 27, 2012

I've had nightmares about having a whole case of WWS in my basement. Satan contract brews WWS for DFH.
    AmitC, Zach136 and waddellc2 like this.
  12. BourbonDork

BourbonDork Savant (290) Virginia Sep 15, 2010

I gladly bought a case. Drink now.....share with friends....save some for later. All good.
  13. I bought a 1/2 case of 2010 WWS a month ago for $120. Cracked one open and, damn, sweet and smooth as hell. It's pretty thin for a stout but is drinking like 10% or less already.

Anyhow, you're getting a fair deal. The thieves down the street here charge $13.99 for 2012 bottles! You won't find a better offer, IMO.
  14. I honestly can't imagine spending $207 on a crate of a single type of beer. Think of what else you could get with that. Unless you really love it i'd say its not worth the plunge. But if you loved it you probably wouldn't even be asking...
  15. Seems steep and you don't seem to be getting a deal over just buying bottles separately. Usually when you buy a case there is some savings involved but at $207 that's $8.63/bottle which isn't a deal IMO.
  16. Hanzo

I guess it depends where you are, here we have it for $8.99 a bottle and it is on the shelf all year, I assumed since he was interested in buying a case it was somewhat of a rarity where he is.
  17. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (525) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

Almost the price of some bombers.
  18. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

I've typically seen singles for $10 or so, so strictly monetarily speaking, yeah it's a solid deal. I would strongly urge you to wait at least a year to drink any of the bottles, unless you love alcohol burn as a flavor component.
  19. Anywhere that carries WWS that i have seen sells it for $8.99 a bottle so you really aren't getting much of a discount there by buying a case which makes it kind of silly to buy a case. Buy single bottles in whatever quantity you want. It's not a beer you can drink that often anyway. And if you've never had Avery Mephistopheles, try that if you can get it as it is a good (and some would say more favorable) alternative.
  20. MeadGuyfromMD

MeadGuyfromMD Savant (260) Maryland May 23, 2007

I paid $186 out the door for a case in '08. I still have a few left. If that's your approach, buy and enjoy 1 every 3-6 months. Pay attention to changes and share with friends. I enjoy making Heaven n Hell with it to share, also with friends.

Are there better ways to spend $200? Yes. Do you LOVE WWS and want to be able to enjoy for years to come, and impress your friends by saying *Oh, WWS, yea. I have a case in the basement.* Then, by all means, snatch it up.

Cheers
  21. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (655) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

I'd rather spend that $$ on 6-7 bottles of Black Tuesday or 10ish bottles of Parabola....but that's just me. If you got the means and you really want that much WWS, I say go for it...
  22. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

or a case of BCBS and have $50+ to spare :cool:
    CityofBals, IdrinkGas and Stinger80OH like this.
  23. When $207 is too much money for a case of beer it doesn't get a consideration in the first place. If you're even considering spending $207 on a case of beer then it is not too much money for you.
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  24. Hanzo

I change my vote, assuming you have access to it I would take the BCBS route.
    Stinger80OH likes this.
  25. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (655) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

I agree...if there's a hold up on cost in any situation, you probably already know the answer to your question. :eek:
  26. I'd buy 2 bottles for under $20, drink one now and the other 5 or so years down the road. Not a beer I would buy a case of. Its a beer thats readily available in 2-3 years of vintages in my area.
  27. I'll echo the sentiments that if you love it get it, but It really isn't that great of a deal. IF you can normally pick it up for $10/bottle you are saving ~$1.50/bottle and will have 24 for them sitting around.

With that said, I may be biased since the 2010 batch is sitting on the shelf here for $6.99/bottle, which is ~$1.50 less than your case discount.
  28. I split a case of 120 last year with a buddy. We paid right around $180, WWS was the same price. I did not case for WWS so we passe that up. The 120 is still sitting in my basement. Have not had one yet but did give one away. Never seem to be in the mood for one. Still glad I bought it. I like the 120.

To answer your Q , I would not buy the WWS. Price is not great and its not too hard to find. Sometimes at the same price as a case discount

Enjoy
  29. Kendo

Kendo Advocate (505) New York Dec 23, 2005

A friend of mine bought a case of 120 and a case of WWS years ago - I wanna say 2003 or 2004. They're such big beers that he almost never got to them. In this instance the story has a happy ending, however, as he traded them to a local beverage center - which promptly sold the nearly decade-old cellar-aged bottles for a nice profit - for beers that he knows he will drink. . . . So. . . if you really like WWS and believe you will drink them (and/or enjoy aging a portion of the case), then under $9 a bottle isn't all that bad given the usual going price for WWS. Me personally, I'd never spend that kind of $ on WWS, but I don't find it to be all that enjoyable.
  30. seeswo

seeswo Savant (490) Ohio Jan 10, 2010

31. WWS is great with 5-6 years on it, a case would take you a while to drink through. I'm about to open a 2003 that I traded a guy who had bought a case of WWS back in 2003. I say go for it, but plan on sitting on it for a while! I bought 8 2010 WWS last year.
  32. that beer is 7.99 a bottle, so paying that price ain't worth it.
  33. I sure as hell wouldn't.
  34. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

Which adds up to $287 for a case, so the case price of $207 IS worth it, if he wants that much beer.
  35. Timmush

Timmush Savant (330) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

Wow! a case of 35.9 bottles?
    Weird
    30-06pack likes this.
  36. 8 bucks at 24 bottles = 192 bucks.

What kind of voodo math are you doing?
    jesskidden likes this.
  37. Sound advice my man
    Tis an overwhelmingly
    Strong beer when fresh, truth
  38. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

The kind of math where there's 36 bottles in a case because today was, apparently, Monday Part 2.
    ShogoKawada likes this.