1. American Craft Beer Fest is this weekend in Boston, Mass. Join us for 640+ beers from 140+ brewers! Tickets for Friday, May 29 are still available. Cheers!

DFW Beer Advocate Map (For Tastings, Etc)

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by mattisloco, Nov 4, 2012.

1. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (475) Texas Feb 13, 2007

In talking with a small number of BA's I've actually met in person and through BM's, I've often heard we are "too spread out" in DFW to hold proper tastings/gatherings. I know there are some small groups of longtime members that frequently get together. Since I've been on BA I've been to one "big" tasting, whcih was at the Addison Flying Saucer last year. We in DFW are described as "cliquey" by people from other cities and I feel we need to do a better job of knowing our fellow advocates and the new members who seem to be joining daily.

I could go on, but in short I've made a public map on google, https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msi...9db11e4fc33&msa=0&iwloc=0004cdae2cfcbe7ec55c4 . I encourage you all to add your "location" on this map so we can learn who is near us to further our beer experience. I personally am a big fan of smaller group tastings with those around us. It limits drive time there and most importantly driving back home. I hope this map can help accomplish that, open our eyes to who is around us and make DFW a bit less "cliquey" and more of a community.

If you dont feel like adding yourself and you'd like to just leave the closest interestion to your home/area on here I'd be more than happy to add you to the map. I'm open to other ideas and sugestions also. :)

RB users are welcome to include themselves.

Drink Up,
    -Matt

2. cfh64

cfh64 Champion (750) Texas Aug 16, 2005

Awesome f'in idea! Thanks for doing this Matt and I'll be in touch shortly about this week.

3. raffy313

raffy313 Savant (425) Texas Dec 15, 2010

I live under a bridge on the banks of the Trinity River(intersection of I30/University), in FW. Add me Matt...

4. cfh64

cfh64 Champion (750) Texas Aug 16, 2005

I had no idea, lets have a tasting at your place next time. Sounds awesome but we should probably do it in the very early morning so we don't have to yell at each other over the sound of the cars.

5. raffy313

raffy313 Savant (425) Texas Dec 15, 2010

Cool... I'll have to invite the hobos from across the river to join us(they'll eventually migrate over anyway). They make an amazing toilet/river water homebrew. Hope you like malt liquor... I'll build a nice fire for us and no worries... we'll have to yell all night, but you'll eventually get used to the cars echoing over us...

*Oh, and I have plenty of cardboard and newspapers... if you guys wanna crash overnight. ;)

AHood, fragilehearted and Exiled like this.
  6. mattisloco

lol I'm going to turn you into a hobo bonfire... While you're livin in a van down by the river!

fragilehearted likes this.
  7. Krumb

Krumb Savant (300) Texas Jan 30, 2008

I've met very few of you...but this idea is very awesome. I've updated my location.

Cheers to matt...thanks!

8. air

air Savant (370) Texas Mar 28, 2007

I live in the Park Cities, but if you could tick me on the map, the closest landmark would be the Whole Foods off Park Lane.

(since I'm there all the damn time for happy hour...)

9. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Champion (955) Texas Jun 14, 2012

I added my location to the map, thanks, Matt!

10. mattisloco

You're added

Hey thank you, I'm glad this is off to a nice start.

11. Exiled

Exiled Advocate (600) Texas May 30, 2009

Im lazy... can someone add me to the map? I live off of Hwy 183 & Esters in Irving. (Walmart)

puddledynamics likes this.
  12. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (485) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Just add me to the Fort Worth Saucer as my location...sorry on my cell now.

I'm always down for a tasting as long as it isn't in North Dallas on a weeknight ;)

AHood likes this.
  13. mattisloco

Done

Exiled likes this.
  14. kcbaby

kcbaby Savant (280) Massachusetts Jun 30, 2010

Added. Let me know about any tastings.

mattisloco likes this.
  15. You live about mile from me lol!

Exiled likes this.
  16. fragilehearted

fragilehearted Savant (280) Texas Dec 13, 2009

Also lazy. Matt, could you add me at the Centreport TRE station? (Yeah, I live really close to work.)

mattisloco likes this.
  17. mattisloco

Done... and you really do live close.

18. mattisloco

FYI I added you Brad.

cfh64 likes this.
  19. dpkpr

dpkpr Savant (280) Texas Apr 19, 2008

Took a bit to figure out how to do it, but I added my location. Thanks for giving me an excuse to learn how to do a collaborative map! Great idea.

20. crusian

crusian Advocate (640) Oregon May 14, 2010

surprised you didnt add me. makes me feel sad. :(
    so I added me

Damn, you do! lol

21. mattisloco

I actually want to add a lot of people that I know the general area where they live. Some people are touchy about their perceived "privacy" so I decided I wouldn't add them unless they asked. Glad you put yourself on here though Seth, you were one I considered adding when I thought of this.

22. Exiled

Exiled Advocate (600) Texas May 30, 2009

I work right down the street from you on Rock Island & Gilbert. (Hagans Plastics)

23. crusian

crusian Advocate (640) Oregon May 14, 2010

yeah, i am far away... not Mckinney distance though... damn!!

24. mattisloco

Early next year I'm going to put together a big tasting in DFW, similar to the one at the Addison Saucer last year. I'm all for suggestions.

*This was also just a bump for newbies or those that may have missed this.*

Westyn, AAxsom, Exiled and 3 others like this.
  25. H0rnedFr0gs

Sounds like a plan. I have some nice bottles itching to be popped and a long time til the next Freetail tasting.

26. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Champion (955) Texas Jun 14, 2012

Sounds good to me!

27. JJFoodie

JJFoodie Savant (250) Texas May 11, 2009

Put Rockwall on the map, please, near the intersection of Dalton Rd. and 205...

28. AHood

AHood Aficionado (155) Texas Nov 28, 2012

I'm near 8th and I30. Fairmount is my hood. Add me please, because I am dumb and can't figure out how to do it myself :confused:

I'm taking my Certified Cicerone exam next year. Anyone else in this boat?

29. AHood

Yea, my husband is gonna freak when I tell him I'm going to meet up with a bunch of strangers to taste beer, haha.

30. H0rnedFr0gs

Was thinking about it...have you started the program?

31. AHood

Close to you. I'm near 8th and Berry.

32. AHood

Yea. Got my CBS last year. This year was spent getting 2 certifications in wine, but now I'm back on beer. Right now I'm studying about 10 hours a week.... well that was put on hiatus for a couple of weeks because of the holidays. Are you a CBS?

33. fragilehearted

Bring him! :)

34. AHood

He will likely chaperone :)

35. fragilehearted

Yeah my bf is my DD. Works out great for me. :D

AHood likes this.
  36. mattisloco

Done & Done... Welcome to BA AHood

37. mattisloco

Added cfox427tt and RustyP

It's looking more and more like Addison Saucer is the most central location. Maybe the best solution is to do an East tasting one week and a West tasting the next?

AHood likes this.
  38. jmdarcy

jmdarcy Aficionado (125) Texas Jul 15, 2010

Added myself, I haven't been very active on here in awhile but a BA tasting sounds like a great idea

39. AHood

[quote="It's looking more and more like Addison Saucer is the most central location. Maybe the best solution is to do an East tasting one week and a West tasting the next?[/quote]

This would be marvelous!